Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 04:05 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Please. I can assure you that a degree from Harvard doesn't magically impart happiness or satisfaction in life and career.
It doesn't. I know a guy who was forced to go to Harvard, instead of to his preferred school--UC Berkeley, where he's from. He could have gotten the same degree at Berkeley that he got at Harvard, it would've cost a lot less, and he would've been around friends and the Bay Area music scene he'd gotten into in his late HS years. Harvard isn't the be-all, end-all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 06:18 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
My experience with community college as an undergraduate was taking a few classes there. The classes were MUCH easier. I'm not sure I want to pay for other people to go to community college. Don't we already pay for k-12? In some places even PRE-school, whatever the hell that is.

No No No. The school is not going to be free and the government is not going to pay for it; the taxpayers will pay for it...even those who are not going to benefit...and we've already been squeezed for everything else. Besides community college classes are so cheap, that if you can't get a part time job and pay for it yourself...then you don't deserve to make strangers pay for it on your behalf.

I was so pissed when I heard about this on the radio. Is the only thing the government knows how to do is just spend money? That is NOT true, but I'm tired of hearing crap like this. This idea sucks. If some of these kids are going to get some sort of trade education...good for them. But can't they do that already in high schools that we ALREADY pay for?

Old 01-11-2015, 07:22 PM

16,551 posts, read 8,592,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Obama to propose free community college

What do you guys think about this? Personally my first reaction was, that's stupid. But the more I thought about it, the more Im ok with it. We dump billions of dollars into other nations in futile attempts to "democratize" them and it fails. We spent trillions on failed wars and international policing....and they fail. We literally GIVE money to some Nations.....

If we're going to waste money like that then fine, lets at least use a "little bit" to better ourselves....
If your are ok with it, then you pay for it!

Don't try to justify another way to get money out of the working mans pocket by comparing it to other wasteful spending. That is a losing game, and we the tax payers are always the ones losing.

No one paid for my student loans, nor will the government retroactively go back and pay me, or for my kids.
When there is no skin in the game, there is no incentive to succeed. So while some might benefit by the taxpayers footing their bill, I do not want to be one of them. But by all means get other likeminded people together and start a fund with your money, not ours. After all, "a mind is a terrible thing to waste".

`

Old 01-11-2015, 07:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Why not. It seems only fair. I'm sure there a few students out there that borrowed a few bucks to go to community college.
I don't follow how it's fair. Student's agreed to pay a price for attendance and paid it. There's no reason for a refund. Should people who purchased oil at $100/barrel get a refund because the price dropped? No. That's silly. As long as everyone paid what they agreed to, then no refund is necessary.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:47 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Have you researched WHY college is so ridiculously expensive?

They are creating country club colleges. Magnet zones for getting expansive government grants for stupid "studies" like putting shrimp on treadmills.

And the CITIZENS are idiots for going along with it and getting in debt for it.
The biggest reason for rising college costs is that states have drastically cut funding for higher eduction, and every year continue to do so, many grant programs have also been cut. Students used to be able to work their way through college on a part time/summer job. In my state community college currently costs 5-6K/yr, plus books, fees, etc. 4 year state college is 10-15K/yr. Double those costs if the student doesn't have family close enough to the college to live with.

We continue to put the cost of tuition onto the students, if they are not fortunate enough to have family support they end up needing loans. It hurts us all to have young people sending off huge chunks of their paychecks to pay loans instead of putting that money into the economy buying houses, cars, and having children.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:57 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,138,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't follow how it's fair. Student's agreed to pay a price for attendance and paid it. There's no reason for a refund. Should people who purchased oil at $100/barrel get a refund because the price dropped? No. That's silly. As long as everyone paid what they agreed to, then no refund is necessary.
If you’re going to compare the price of college to a commodity then let the free market decide what college should cost. The government has already screwed up higher education enough at both the state and federal levels.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:12 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
If you’re going to compare the price of college to a commodity then let the free market decide what college should cost. The government has already screwed up higher education enough at both the state and federal levels.
I would have to agree with you there. The government has screwed up quite a bit with the quality of education at most universities.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:26 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
If your are ok with it, then you pay for it!

Don't try to justify another way to get money out of the working mans pocket by comparing it to other wasteful spending. That is a losing game, and we the tax payers are always the ones losing.

No one paid for my student loans, nor will the government retroactively go back and pay me, or for my kids.
When there is no skin in the game, there is no incentive to succeed. So while some might benefit by the taxpayers footing their bill, I do not want to be one of them. But by all means get other likeminded people together and start a fund with your money, not ours. After all, "a mind is a terrible thing to waste".

`

You genius this IS FOR the working man. Why do so many fight against something that will benefit them, yet be complacent about spending tax revenue on something that doesn't benefit them at all!

Old 01-12-2015, 07:11 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
Quote:
You genius this IS FOR the working man. Why do so many fight against something that will benefit them, yet be complacent about spending tax revenue on something that doesn't benefit them at all!
What are you smoking? Working people in the country have protested in vast numbers the vast expenditures of money by the government that will not help them. The wars in the middle east, massive foreign aid, bailouts for rich bankers, bailouts for private companies, the health care law (ooh controversial) and on and on.

What is MORE disturbing is that elected officials seem to find ways to spend tax money in massive amounts without taking seriously the reservations of large sections of the voting public. This is both parties. Since they have decided to spend trillions without our permission already, I'm sure oppoosing yet another dubious expenditure of large sums of money will make no difference.

At least on City data we can vent. I'm not sure anyone will benefit from more public education (and this plan sounds like either a windfall for community college presidents, or High School 2.0) being given freely when much of the public education K-12 in the USA doesn't even work.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:36 AM

242 posts, read 413,045 times
Quote:
BRAVO. What is ironic is that so many people in America believe in the imaginary "God" and feel that TAXING THE CHURCES is a no-no...even though by doing so we would net an estimated 71 BILLION dollars a year.

And folks gripe about 2 years of CC for free? You and your CHURCH cost each and every one of us far more than that EVERY year. Bow your head in shame, hypocrites. You have obviously learned "nothing" in your churches other than selfishness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events