U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 07:56 AM

11,847 posts, read 8,251,936 times

Advertisements

On the face this sounds like a good idea BUT how will it be paid for? by higher taxes for those who actually work. right. Then again there are way too many kids graduating high school or I should say barely getting by and shown the door who don't really know how to read or write and certainly don't possess critical thinking skills. How are the high schools paid for? Through taxes.
I say give the kids in high school a real education they can use and that would be a good start. We have too many kids who are aspiring sports stars, aspiring rappers/ singers who plan to make it big on American Idol and a bunch of other lazy kids who want to be champion video game players.

College isn't for everyone. I would rather see more interest in sending kids to trade schools where they learn a skill. We have too many thinkers and not enough doers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 08:40 AM

518 posts, read 371,562 times
I know it may raise taxes, but I do have a personal interest in this as I am going back to school at a CC starting in the fall. This would help me immensely.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:44 AM

15,734 posts, read 9,251,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
My city (Syracuse, NY) offers a program that provides for a free college education to high school graduates. Both of my daughters missed being included in the program because they graduated from high school a year or 2, too early. You can find more information here:

Say Yes to Education

My tax dollars pay for a whole host of things that I don't approve of... It is finally nice to see them pay for something that I can support wholeheartedly.
Of course you support it wholeheartedly. It gets you off the hook for paying for their education.

But as a childless woman, you can add this to the "whole host of things" that my tax dollars pay for that I don't approve of.

And for the record, the program you are talking about in Syracuse is paid with private funds, not public, I believe.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:45 AM

2,478 posts, read 4,869,342 times
As if the value of a College degree hasn't been devalued enough. This will surely be the final gunshot to the head if he pushes it through.

I don't see why it's so hard for some to understand. If you make something available to everyone without any special requirements, it has no value. If everyone has a degree, then the degree isn't worth anything.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:01 AM

5,444 posts, read 4,851,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
As if the value of a College degree hasn't been devalued enough. This will surely be the final gunshot to the head if he pushes it through.

I don't see why it's so hard for some to understand. If you make something available to everyone without any special requirements, it has no value. If everyone has a degree, then the degree isn't worth anything.
So, are you saying that a college degree should only be available for those who can afford it?

Old 01-12-2015, 09:18 AM

45,189 posts, read 17,936,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
So, are you saying that a college degree should only be available for those who can afford it?
False argument. There are plenty of ways to acquire financial assistance to get a degree these days. It's up to the individual to figure that out.

The issue here is in turning a 2 year degree into an entitlement.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:20 AM

3,044 posts, read 4,015,477 times
Default 1966, then repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Obama to propose free community college

What do you guys think about this? Personally my first reaction was, that's stupid. But the more I thought about it, the more Im ok with it. We dump billions of dollars into other nations in futile attempts to "democratize" them and it fails. We spent trillions on failed wars and international policing....and they fail. We literally GIVE money to some Nations.....

If we're going to waste money like that then fine, lets at least use a "little bit" to better ourselves....
The original "concept" of junior college was that you could put in your first two years, keep expenses down, and then transfer to a University. By 1970 California, for instance, had 99% of it's entire population within commuting distance to a local junior college. Without it, I don't think most of the people I knew would have obtained their advanced degree.

With the cost of education today for most of us it's an idea that's returned to the fore. But the crux of that idea is that education is not an elitist activity for the very rich, with exclusive barriers no matter your ability. And we returned to that concept in 1980 with the Regean/Thatcher rule. Too bad, because it inadvertently set back all kinds of other issues, such as minority schooling, basic education for kids, and in places like Quebec, Canada it had a lot to do with maintaining their fast disappearing culture.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:26 AM

2,478 posts, read 4,869,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
False argument. There are plenty of ways to acquire financial assistance to get a degree these days. It's up to the individual to figure that out.

^exactly.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:59 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,275,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

I actually just tried to find a scholarship for my masters program and didn't qualify for any because Im white.....please show me this "plenty of ways to acquire financial assistance".....

Old 01-12-2015, 10:05 AM

5,364 posts, read 6,002,224 times
I had a feeling Obama would start proposing liberal ideas as a lame duck knowing damn well they won't pass but when he had the both houses did nada.(a watered down republican health care plan doesn't count)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or