U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 11:58 AM

734 posts, read 765,301 times

Advertisements

Is this for US CITIZENS or is this a way of letting all of those illegals get a free college education?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 01:02 PM

17,602 posts, read 21,790,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Obama to propose free community college

What do you guys think about this? Personally my first reaction was, that's stupid. But the more I thought about it, the more Im ok with it. We dump billions of dollars into other nations in futile attempts to "democratize" them and it fails. We spent trillions on failed wars and international policing....and they fail. We literally GIVE money to some Nations.....

If we're going to waste money like that then fine, lets at least use a "little bit" to better ourselves....
I think it's genius!

Tax the upper one percent, cut corporate welfare and educate our populace. The societal benefits would be amazing.

I was in favor of something like this BEFORE Obama came up with it. I'd be for it no matter what party he was in.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:27 PM

2,580 posts, read 1,046,274 times
Political grandstanding in my opinion. I don't think many poorer people cannot attend Community College because they cannot afford it. If you are poor between tax credits and financial aid you will pay nothing.
Really this helps the middle class but they also qualify for tax credits and what is wrong with paying for a portion of your education or getting a student loan and paying for it later.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:30 PM

2,580 posts, read 1,046,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Why the **** would you want less people to get an education?I swear I just don't understand conservative logic....? Do you want a nation of idiots?
If someone is an "idiot" after high school is a little community college for free going to change anything?
Now if they have to pay for it because they really want it then it might change something.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:36 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,987,846 times
Quote:
Why the **** would you want less people to get an education?

I swear I just don't understand conservative logic....? Do you want a nation of idiots?
*fewer

Old 01-12-2015, 02:28 PM

7,846 posts, read 5,039,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The subject of this topic is Obama's plan for free community college. This is Obama's stated reason in his remarks given in Tennessee last week:
".... have to ensure that we're educating and preparing our people for the new jobs of the 21st century. We've got to prepare our people with the skills they need to compete in this global economy.
So you "critical thinkers" don't even agree with Obama.
Correct.

I do not agree with Obama. Critical thinking skills are the purpose of education. Humanity needs education to evolve. Job training is what it is; job training. Everyone can be trained to do certain menial tasks. Can you THINK is the question.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:43 PM

38,327 posts, read 15,359,817 times
Quote:
Correct.

I do not agree with Obama. Critical thinking skills are the purpose of education. Humanity needs education to evolve. Job training is what it is; job training.
And I completely support your right to believe anything that you like. So I guess we have settled that.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:41 PM

4,348 posts, read 2,617,334 times
I believe a better plan would be to make the rest of the universities and colleges (public, non-community ones) cheaper.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:50 PM

25,432 posts, read 14,524,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I believe a better plan would be to make the rest of the universities and colleges (public, non-community ones) cheaper.
Start by getting rid of bloated admin and president perks first.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:23 PM

1,136 posts, read 1,371,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Many European nations will pay for tuition all the way through to the doctoral level. Education hasn't been devalued because of it. They've been doing this for years with excellent results.

What is it? People fear that if this country raises their educational average they'll become more like Europe? Double bonus if you ask me.
Unfortunately, you must pass entrance exams to be admitted.

What percentage of US high school students do you think would be admitted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or