U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2015, 11:55 AM
 
5,444 posts, read 4,865,021 times
Reputation: 15033

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Your gut instinct was correct. It is a stupid idea and a waste of money. Your reasoning that since we waste money on other stuff means it's OK to waste money on this, is faulty. Please think about what you're saying.

High school courses will be dumbed down because kids are going to continue on to 13th and 14th grades.

New facilities will have to be built to accommodate the rush of new students, and the value of 2 years of community college will decrease because "hey, anyone can do it". Kids who can't get into regular college would be better off going to trade school to learn computer repair, plumbing, etc.
You are focusing on the high school kid, but what about the person who has been unemployed for a few years or the person who is on welfare and would like to go back to school to better themselves and get a decent job. Generally, if they are unemployed or on welfare to begin with, they don't have the money to pay for school. This would be a great program for them because it could give them the tools needed to become employed. Long term, this program could potentially be free due to the savings of money being spent on unemployment and welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2015, 12:00 PM
 
7,384 posts, read 13,250,774 times
Reputation: 9002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I find it amusing he's doing this speech in Knoxville, TN. I am a TN native, and a little over a decade ago, TN introduced a scholarship from lottery proceeds for students attending college. The requirements were very modest - something like a 2.75 HS GPA and a 21 ACT score or thereabouts. The scholarship amounted to more than enough to cover community college then, and it was more than enough to cover my tuition and fees at East TN State - I ended up getting a small refund from the scholarship in cash.

Essentially this program is redundant for Tennesseans who were qualified to go to college anyway. Many states have similar programs.
Of course he's doing in Knoxville; he was supposedly inspired by the TN Promise.



In WA, the setup is a little different. The program is called Running Start, and it pays up to 2 years of community college for qualified attending HS Seniors/Juniors. Does this mean those students would qualify another 2 years of free college after high school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2015, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,103 posts, read 4,284,518 times
Reputation: 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Of course he's doing in Knoxville; he was supposedly inspired by the TN Promise.



In WA, the setup is a little different. The program is called Running Start, and it pays up to 2 years of community college for qualified attending HS Seniors/Juniors. Does this mean those students would qualify another 2 years of free college after high school?
My guess is the funding source would just change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2015, 12:06 PM
Status: "You are only coming through in waves." (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Posting from my space yacht.
8,115 posts, read 3,180,332 times
Reputation: 14607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I would disagree with that statement. Many of us chose not to go to college because we already had our careers selected in high school and realized college would in no way further those careers. In my specific case, I knew that I was a salesman. It's what I've always done, and I'm very good at it. At 18, I was making six figures, and have continued to make that since graduating (I graduated 6 months early to be 4.5 years ahead of those who were going to college).

While college can be a valuable tool for those who want to focus on select careers, such as my wife who, at 39, is currently in nursing school where college is a necessity, there are many careers where one can make a very good living, live a happy life, and cannot get those skills in college. Not all of us are walking around with an empty brain


No college you say? How can you even type with that empty brain of yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2015, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
5,314 posts, read 6,326,036 times
Reputation: 3525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
No college you say? How can you even type with that empty brain of yours?
With one finger.. and hope my constant drooling doesn't short out the keyboard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2015, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA
3,909 posts, read 3,593,921 times
Reputation: 7188
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
You are focusing on the high school kid, but what about the person who has been unemployed for a few years or the person who is on welfare and would like to go back to school to better themselves and get a decent job. Generally, if they are unemployed or on welfare to begin with, they don't have the money to pay for school. This would be a great program for them because it could give them the tools needed to become employed. Long term, this program could potentially be free due to the savings of money being spent on unemployment and welfare.

Community college for 2 years won't help a person on welfare or the chronically unemployed. They need trade school to learn such things as computer repair and plumbing, which is what I said.

I went to night school for 11 months to learn computer programming, starting when I was 22. I know what I'm talking about because I've been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2015, 12:31 PM
 
608 posts, read 730,291 times
Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In most industrial countries such as in Asia and Europe even our backyards their govt subsidizes 4 year college education. Not totally free but cheap enough where it is essentially provided for.

Most states do provide some type of tuition assistance program for the poor but not universal assistance.

While their is cost involved, I do think it needs to be some level of free education available. It can help lower crime, unemployment benefits, and give people more purpose. The only challenge is how to fund and hire additional staff.

One thing that scares me is that may bring extra taxes and how are schools going to be running them or providing them.
Yes, but it's funded through taxation, hence the high cost of living in those countries (eg. the Nordic region)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2015, 12:35 PM
 
5,444 posts, read 4,865,021 times
Reputation: 15033
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Community college for 2 years won't help a person on welfare or the chronically unemployed. They need trade school to learn such things as computer repair and plumbing, which is what I said.

I went to night school for 11 months to learn computer programming, starting when I was 22. I know what I'm talking about because I've been there.
You might want to go back because you missed a few reading comprehension courses. The article specifically states that this program would not be limited to just an AA degree. It would also be used for terminal 2 year degree programs as well as just job training.

"The America's College Promise program would be available to traditional and non-traditional college students, she said, and would support those seeking the first two years of a bachelor's degree, an associate's degree, or even just job training."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2015, 12:36 PM
 
11,680 posts, read 7,063,091 times
Reputation: 6387
FREE college....FREE healthcare. Sweet.

Now I just need to have a baby and get FREE food and FREE childcare.

I love America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2015, 12:38 PM
 
1,128 posts, read 791,363 times
Reputation: 2125
Free=Government=Taxpayers. I am so sick and tired of paying for others to get "free" this and that. Why should this surprise us? We obviously learned nothing from the housing bubble because he was out touting his "new plan" for low-wage home buyers to save money.
Degrees are already becoming worthless. If these people can't afford the first two years, what makes anyone think they will continue on with years three and four? All we need is more people with associate's degrees asking if we want a re-fill on our tea. There are no good paying jobs out there anyone- let alone someone with only two years of college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top