U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 09:23 PM

8,542 posts, read 5,264,452 times

Advertisements

I agree with Cassandra.
Quote:
"I do believe I am mature enough to make the decision to refuse the chemo, but it shouldn't be about maturity, it should be a given human right to decide what you want and don't want for your own body."
Teen fighting chemo says she knows she'll die without it - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 09:23 PM

8,308 posts, read 8,586,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
If this girl has read all about the treatments and looked up the stats about recurrence and survival rates and made an informed decision, I think she has every right to turn down the treatment being forced upon her.

Teen fighting chemo says she knows she'll die without it - CBS News
The girl is seventeen which renders her short of her legal majority. Under the law, a minor does not have the right to determine what medical treatment they receive. Seventeen is close, but is not eighteen years of age when she could make this decision on her own.

Minors are not allowed to decide to if they can go to school or not. They are not allowed to vote, to drink, or to smoke. The system operates on the assumption they are incompetent to make the most important decisions on their own and requires these decisions be made in accordance with a legal framework. I submit that this life and death decision is too critical to be left to someone who has not reached their majority.

The article states that she has Hodgkins Lymphoma and that with the treatment she has an 85% chance of survival. Without the treatment, she is virtually certain to die. If the cure rate were not so high, you might persuade me that this decision should not be forced. Eighty-five percent chance of a cure though tells me that this should not be option.

I don't believe in alternative medical treatments. In fact, I even object to the use of the word "treatment" when they are described. Unless a certain course of therapy can be shown to be effective it does not deserve and should not receive the label "treatment". I believe that people should receive those medical treatments which have been scientifically proven to work.

A real tip off for me was the comment about not wanting all that "poison" in her. It sounds she and her mother have been lied to and perhaps brainwashed by practitioners of alternative medicine.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:38 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,172,198 times
Seen many friends and neighbors die from Chemo succky way to die.Bacon looks delicious I am trying to remember what it tastes like as I cant taste anything.Last words I heard from my chemo friend.Me no way ever just a ripoff money maker.I even skipped the big prostate cancer in older men that was later proven to be a hoax money maker as you will outlive it .my bil fell for it and has probs ever since. I would rather die naturally,in my 60's btw

Old 01-09-2015, 09:43 PM

20,872 posts, read 22,451,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The girl is seventeen which renders her short of her legal majority. Under the law, a minor does not have the right to determine what medical treatment they receive. Seventeen is close, but is not eighteen years of age when she could make this decision on her own.

The article states that she has Hodgkins Lymphoma and that with the treatment she has an 85% chance of survival. Without the treatment, she is virtually certain to die. If the cure rate were not so high, you might persuade me that this decision should not be forced. Eighty-five percent chance of a cure though tells me that this should not be option.

The system operates on the principle that minors (and sometimes even parents of minors) are not competent to make some medical decisions on their own. I don't believe in alternative medical treatments. In fact, I even object to the use of the word "treatment" when they are described. Unless a certain course of therapy can be shown to be effective it does not deserve and should not receive the label "treatment". I believe that people should receive those medical treatments which have been scientifically proven to work.

A real tip off for me was the comment about not wanting all that "poison" in her. It sounds she and her mother have been lied to by practitioners of alternative medicine.
In an interview on the news, her mom said she had no influence on her daughter's decision. She wanted to make that very clear. Alternative treatments had not been looked into. People are going to make assumptions about this but if the mom is to be believed, at this point it is not true.

I think the mom was telling the truth. She said all she wanted was her daughter's rights be granted as a human being to chose not to have something done to her. She didn't bring up the topic of alternative medicine. She was asked by a reporter and she responded by saying they never got that far to be able to look into it because her daughter was taken away from them before they had the opportunity.

And of course you may not believe in alternative medical treatments but that covers a wide range. I am not going to get into a discussion as to what is and what isn't alternative but one must ask, "Alternative to what?" There are many so-called "alternative medical" treatments that work very well and many traditional treatments with which we are familiar that do not. I saw the latter all the time on my job. But that is not up for debate here. A person's human rights are.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:45 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,278,608 times
Sure, I think she should have that right, though the CT supreme court clearly held otherwise. If she can terminate life growing inside of her without parental or government consent at that age, why should she need government consent to refuse to undergo chemotherapy? Now, knowing what I know about chemo and this case in particular, I'd certainly take the chemo, but that's me. On a more fundamental note, what will likely change, in terms of maturity, etc., in the 4-month span that it will take for this young woman to turn 18?

Old 01-09-2015, 09:46 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,582,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Absolutely. She owns her body and her mind. No one else.
I cannot even fathom why anyone would disagree with the above.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:53 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,278,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Seen many friends and neighbors die from Chemo succky way to die.Bacon looks delicious I am trying to remember what it tastes like as I cant taste anything.Last words I heard from my chemo friend.Me no way ever just a ripoff money maker.I even skipped the big prostate cancer in older men that was later proven to be a hoax money maker as you will outlive it .my bil fell for it and has probs ever since. I would rather die naturally,in my 60's btw
I don't know. I've also seen many people, family members included, die from chemo, but I've also seen a great many saved by chemo. Chemo certainly weakens you, which is more of a problem if cancer has already significantly weakened you. That said, mortality rate of using chemo decreases by a lot the earlier into one's sickness it is used; even if it is used later in one's sickness, it still often gives one a greater chance of survival than if one did nothing. As far as alternative medicine goes, perhaps there are some things that could help, but, from my experience, alternative medicine is a lifestyle and one generally shouldn't expect fast miracles by turning to it.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:57 PM

172 posts, read 206,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

A real tip off for me was the comment about not wanting all that "poison" in her. It sounds she and her mother have been lied to and perhaps brainwashed by practitioners of alternative medicine.
Sounds to me like she's seen people who have had chemo. And has seen for herself how it can ruin a person's quality of life. Some people prefer quality to quantity. The medical industry shouldn't be allowed to make that decision for her.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:59 PM

21,501 posts, read 26,116,900 times
Similar thread here:

"Cassandra C. Chemo Case"

Old 01-09-2015, 10:01 PM

51,669 posts, read 12,651,550 times
She's almost 18 so she should have the final decision. It's her body!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or