U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 09:26 PM

20,964 posts, read 22,562,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
If you have ever had a bag or two of Interon A dumped into your am you will know the answer. The only treatment I knew was "STOP!!" as that sh*t was like dying. Chemo is poison to your body, plain and simple. I saw people with those big bottles of what looks like urine pumping into their arms who didn't make it.
Sadly...for all of the happy St Jude's kids who make it, there are plenty of bald angels who don't.

That is why I wouldn't contribute money to them. The ads are meant to pull at your heartstrings and in my eyes they are just too slick and contrived. I would give to medical research if I have investigated the organization but I think all this celebrity touting kids on TV is really questionable. They seem to want to make you think if you just send money, these adorable little children will be saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Key word "would". I've known several people, one an engineer and one a nurse, who always said they wouldn't do chemo, radiation, etc who both did when actually faced with cancer.

Some doctors will take such patients.

Curcumin has not yet been found to be effective in humans, as of Dec. 23, 2014.
Curcumin: Can it slow cancer growth? - Mayo Clinic

Most alternative medicine is not backed up by research.

Life expectancy has increased a great deal since 2000 years ago when people were treating themselves with herbs and such.
I haven't heard of curcumin being used in Cancer patients but I do know of people who have been helped by its anti-inflammatory properties. I have not tried it but some with the illness I have, Sarcoidosis tell me it's helped them.

I am not a huge fan of alternative medicine although I have a open mind. I'm no fan of Dr. Mercola's either but he's no worse than Dr. Oz who is the slickest snake oil salesman in the medical profession but also pushes alternative treatment at times. He doesn't miss a trick or I should say a buck in either area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 10:30 PM

21,622 posts, read 26,315,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That is why I wouldn't contribute money to them. The ads are meant to pull at your heartstrings and in my eyes they are just too slick and contrived. I would give to medical research if I have investigated the organization but I think all this celebrity touting kids on TV is really questionable. They seem to want to make you think if you just send money, these adorable little children will be saved.
St. Jude does spend a lot on fundraising, but it does do a good job.

Charity Navigator Rating - ALSAC - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

My favorite does it even better (I am biased because I have personal experience with the services they provide. )

Charity Navigator Rating - CURE Childhood Cancer

St. Jude is saving a lot of kids:

Cancer Survival Rates

The year 1962 represents the infancy of chemotherapy.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:54 PM

85,096 posts, read 99,210,314 times
Quote:

I haven't heard of curcumin being used in Cancer patients but I do know of people who have been helped by its anti-inflammatory properties. I have not tried it but some with the illness I have, Sarcoidosis tell me it's helped them.

I am not a huge fan of alternative medicine although I have a open mind. I'm no fan of Dr. Mercola's either but he's no worse than Dr. Oz who is the slickest snake oil salesman in the medical profession but also pushes alternative treatment at times. He doesn't miss a trick or I should say a buck in either area.
Re: curcumin, another poster claimed it was well researched. It's not.

I agree that both Mercola and Oz are quacks. Acutally, I guess Oz is really an accomplished physician, but his TV persona is that of a quack.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:51 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,847,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The child welfare laws are working just as they are supposed to in this case.
No, the State of Connecticut is using the letter of the law to violate the spirit of the law. If the girl were an adult, the state would have no legal basis to have her declared incompetent and a ward of the state, and then assume control over her medical care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It is not in her best interest to go untreated, and her reasons for not wanting it have been thoroughly explored here. Fear of hair loss, nausea, and fatigue is not a reason to forgo life saving treatment.
By whose standards?

Neither of the above-quoted statements are determinations that can be made by you, the State of CT, or anyone other than the girl and her mother after consulting with a doctor.

If you recall, in the article, the girl said she wished to explore alternative treatment options. She never said she wished to allow the cancer to go untreated - but even if she had, she would be well within her rights to make that informed decision. Her mother should speak to an attorney about filing a writ of habeas corpus.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:17 AM

336 posts, read 340,847 times
Quote:
If this girl has read all about the treatments and looked up the stats about recurrence and survival rates and made an informed decision, I think she has every right to turn down the treatment being forced upon her.

Teen fighting chemo says she knows she'll die without it - CBS News
No she doesnt. Shes not 18, shes not an adult. She does have the right to be an idiot though and she is utilizing that one to the fullest extent.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:15 AM

8,375 posts, read 8,645,806 times
Quote:
No, the State of Connecticut is using the letter of the law to violate the spirit of the law. If the girl were an adult, the state would have no legal basis to have her declared incompetent and a ward of the state, and then assume control over her medical care.

But she isn't eighteen is she? Plus, she didn't meet the qualifications for the "mature minor" exception.

Quote:
By whose standards?
What the mother was doing by not consenting to the treatment was medically neglecting her child. The disease was virtually certain to kill her daughter and treatment was 85% effective. That meets objective standards for determining medical neglect.

Quote:
Neither of the above-quoted statements are determinations that can be made by you, the State of CT, or anyone other than the girl and her mother after consulting with a doctor.
On the contrary, they can be made by reference to her diagnosis, medical condition, and what we now know about treating Hodgkins Lymphoma.

Quote:
If you recall, in the article, the girl said she wished to explore alternative treatment options. She never said she wished to allow the cancer to go untreated - but even if she had, she would be well within her rights to make that informed decision. Her mother should speak to an attorney about filing a writ of habeas corpus.
I can eat ten pounds of dried seaweed and call that treatment. It doesn't make it "treatment". Only something that can be empirically shown to cure Hodgkins Lymphoma is treatment.

Her mother can speak to a 100 attorneys. They are going to lose this fight.

Honestly, have you read anything in this thread or do just listen to yourself?

Old 01-14-2015, 08:37 AM

5,645 posts, read 4,932,403 times
Officious Domination. Government Power.

Hear it roar. Raawwwwrrr!

Anyway, are we on any kind of slippery slope? In 20 years (or X years) will this same forum be arguing over a case where an intelligent 30 year old who refused the same treatment for the same ailment is being forced into it?

Please assuage our fears.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:18 AM

5,689 posts, read 3,232,614 times
My husband's coworker's son had cancer. It was discovered when he was 5 years old. He had been treated for years, which included traveling back and forth many times to St. Jude's from out of state. The boy spent more time in hospitals than he ever did in school or playing with other children.

At 11 years old while in the hospital for his latest round of procedures, he told the doctor to stop. No more treatments. I am dying and I know it. I want to go home to die in my own home with my parents, brother, and dog near me. The doctor cancelled the procedure and called his parents in to talk with the boy. "Tell your parents what you told me".

Dad broke down and cried. He said to us that he realized he was being selfish. He was keeping his son alive in pain and suffering for what he himself wanted, not for what his son wanted. Treatments were cancelled. The boy went home where he wanted to be. He died in his bed 7 months later surrounded by his famly and his dog. His death was the way he wanted, even at 11 years old.

First, there is the issue of Quality of Life versus Quanity of Life. Could he be cured? They could not quarantee that one. Was he being kept alive? Sure, but they did not know for how long. What kind of life did this child have in his young 11 years? Nothing but hospitals, prodcedures, doctors, nurses, etc. He had not been, and probably could never be, a normal child. What quality of life was that? As my Mom put in her Living Will, "I do not wish to become a Science Experiment so doctors and medicine can see how long they can keep me alive". Imagine an 11 year old MINOR child coming to the same conclusion as a 72 year old ADULT woman?

To go back to OT, why didn't CPS and the state take custody of this 11 year old and force more treatments on him, despite what he and his parents wanted? My feeling is that this family had a very compassionate DOCTOR who was more concerned about QUALITY of life than QUANITY of life than that young woman's doctor did in Connecticut.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:19 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,168,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I cannot even fathom why anyone would disagree with the above.
The medical machine has to be fed and the courts are there backing it up. If people start making "informed" choices about their medical care, the medical machine will get very hungry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyBinkies View Post
Sounds to me like she's seen people who have had chemo. And has seen for herself how it can ruin a person's quality of life. Some people prefer quality to quantity. The medical industry shouldn't be allowed to make that decision for her.
Since she is 17, she could join the military and have other medical procedures with the consent of the mother. And, seeing the quality of life of someone that has had chemo, yeah, quality over quantity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
She's almost 18 so she should have the final decision. It's her body!
Obviously, you are wrong. Our rights are being decreased every day and I am guessing if we don't put a stop to it, there will be a day when it won't matter whether you are 18 or not, the decision will not be in your hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
But she isn't 18 and 18 is the age required to make these decisions.

"Almost" only counts in games horseshoes and checkers.

I do have one question: If the patient doesn't want to cooperate receiving this treatment does giving the treatment present insurmountable difficulties for the practitioners giving it?
I signed a paper that let my older son join the Army Reserve when he was 17. He could have dropped out of school before age 18 with my approval or he could have been tried as an adult if he committed a crime.

Has anyone of those medical marvels considered the damage being done to the young lady's health being confined like a prisoner and forced to undergo the chemo? Doesn't mindset play a big part in this?

The Medical Machine in action. It is all about money and selling the public deadly treatments in the name of the almighty dollar. They probably figure this will be a good experiment to see how she reacts. Many are being used as human guinea pigs. Too many "Oops" happening.

I hope someone comes through for this young lady. You hear so much about "choice" but in reality, it rarely is the case unless it makes a profit for the Medical Machine.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:22 AM

85,096 posts, read 99,210,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My husband's coworker's son had cancer. It was discovered when he was 5 years old. He had been treated for years, which included traveling back and forth many times to St. Jude's from out of state. The boy spent more time in hospitals than he ever did in school or playing with other children.

At 11 years old while in the hospital for his latest round of procedures, he told the doctor to stop. No more treatments. I am dying and I know it. I want to go home to die in my own home with my parents, brother, and dog near me. The doctor cancelled the procedure and called his parents in to talk with the boy. "Tell your parents what you told me".

Dad broke down and cried. He said to us that he realized he was being selfish. He was keeping his son alive in pain and suffering for what he himself wanted, not for what his son wanted. Treatments were cancelled. The boy went home where he wanted to be. He died in his bed 7 months later surrounded by his famly and his dog. His death was the way he wanted, even at 11 years old.

First, there is the issue of Quality of Life versus Quanity of Life. Could he be cured? They could not quarantee that one. Was he being kept alive? Sure, but they did not know for how long. What kind of life did this child have in his young 11 years? Nothing but hospitals, prodcedures, doctors, nurses, etc. He had not been, and probably could never be, a normal child. What quality of life was that? As my Mom put in her Living Will, "I do not wish to become a Science Experiment so doctors and medicine can see how long they can keep me alive". Imagine an 11 year old MINOR child coming to the same conclusion as a 72 year old ADULT woman?

To go back to OT, why didn't CPS and the state take custody of this 11 year old and force more treatments on him, despite what he and his parents wanted? My feeling is that this family had a very compassionate DOCTOR who was more concerned about QUALITY of life than QUANITY of life than that young woman's doctor did in Connecticut.
Every case is different. The cancer this teen has has an excellent chance of cure. I don't know what type of cancer your husband's coworker's son had. The doctors apparently agreed with him that the treatment was not going to cure him.

This child's case, while sad, has nothing to do with Cassandra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or