U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2016, 08:25 PM

8,306 posts, read 8,583,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Wait a minute....Isn't it her body?
Its her body and her right to make these choices when she attains her legal majority of eighteen years of age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 11:56 PM

21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
All the cancer's she had still is called cancer. It did spread to other parts of her body it might of started in one place but it moved it was that aggressive.
Cancer is not one disease. It is many. From what you said in a previous post, your mother had four different, unrelated cancers. Breast cancer is not ovarian cancer "coming back", but some women who are at risk to get one of those are at risk to get the other. Stomach cancer is not breast cancer or ovarian cancer "coming back". Pancreatic cancer is not ovarian cancer or breast cancer or stomach cancer "coming back." All four of those are totally different diseases.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:06 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,575,371 times
I think courts/government should stay completely out of personal decisions of individuals/parents on health decisions like this. Not their business/place. People can have an opinion on it/voice their views, but not their place to infringe on those rights either anymore than any of us want to be told how to make our own health life decisions that only impact the individual.

End of story.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:18 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,463,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067
No one should have to have their body to be pumped full of poison! The side effect's are terrible.
Losing feeling in your hands & fingers so you can't hold anything in them for very long. It kills healthy cells in your body along with killing your immune system. Motor skills, etc . No one should have to go though this kind of hell if they don't want too.
No they shouldnt. Most people are lied to however and blindly believe BIG MEDICINE that it will help them!!

Old 07-12-2016, 03:40 AM

8,618 posts, read 2,909,496 times
The issue is a legal one, although as a mature minor aged 17 years old she is entitled to refuse medical treatment. Patients of at least 16 may be assumed to be 'mature minors' for this purpose, patients aged 13 to 15 may be designated so by licensed providers, and pre-teen patients may be so-designated after evaluation by an agency or court.

In the United States, a typical statute lists: "Who may consent [or withhold consent for] surgical or medical treatment or procedures."

"...Any unemancipated minor of sufficient intelligence to understand and appreciate the consequences of the proposed surgical or medical treatment or procedures, for himself/herself.

Mature Minor Doctrine - Wiki

Old 07-12-2016, 04:46 AM

12,131 posts, read 8,106,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
No they shouldnt. Most people are lied to however and blindly believe BIG MEDICINE that it will help them!!

So dad & yet so true.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:02 AM

5,644 posts, read 3,196,510 times
If a young man or woman can choose to join the Military, fight in a war and die at 18 (which she is today), than that same 18 year old can choose to reject medical treatment even if it causes her death.

Raise the age of Majority if you do not like an 18 year old adult being able to decide what medical treatment they want. Remember, Cassandra has been having treatment for over a year now. If she says enough is enough, the State cannot force her any longer.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:15 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,797,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I realize logic is an unwanted item on these forums, but wait just one cotton picking minnit!
This girl is 17, right?
What if she was pregnant and wanted an abortion?
Could the court stop her?
Would her parents have to give consent?

"NO", you say? "That is different!" you say?
I submit that there IS NO difference!
BOTH are medical procedures, and a person should have the absolute right to accept or deny any medicine!
However, IIRC it is now a moot point, because she has achieved her 18th birthday, and thus should be able to leave the hospital AMA (Against Medical Advice), and live the remainder of her life as she sees fit.
No, a logical analogy would be between two situations with similar risks. Abortion is safe, much much safer than carrying a pregnancy to term and giving birth. Cancer, on the other hand, is really quite deadly if left untreated.

I allow my children a say in medical decisions, but the weight I give their opinion decreases with the severity of the consequences. If any person is terminal and the doctors agree that further aggressive treatment is just pain fir minimal gain I support their decision. But someone with a great prognosis just deciding to die painfully? That's stupid and selfish.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:38 AM

13,478 posts, read 9,602,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Cancer is not one disease. It is many. From what you said in a previous post, your mother had four different, unrelated cancers. Breast cancer is not ovarian cancer "coming back", but some women who are at risk to get one of those are at risk to get the other. Stomach cancer is not breast cancer or ovarian cancer "coming back". Pancreatic cancer is not ovarian cancer or breast cancer or stomach cancer "coming back." All four of those are totally different diseases.
Unless it was mets. You know this.

( for the record, mets are short for when cancer has metastisized to other areas of the body ) Suzy knows this, but not everyone on here works in medicine.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:36 AM

1,589 posts, read 768,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Her cancer relapsed. It happens, but does not mean her front line treatment was a wash. It's still very curable, even with a relapse. Since her initial treatment, there is even a new chemo protocol that is less toxic to address relapse. Unfortunately, though, her only shot at living to see her 20s will involve a stem cell transplant.

I had the same cancer as Cassandra. In fact, mine was far, far worse and I had far less support during chemo - I did it on my own while working full time. I am in full support of the state saving her from killing herself.
How could it relapse when it never was cured in the first place? It never went away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or