U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-28-2016, 11:16 AM
 
8,547 posts, read 5,291,963 times
Reputation: 9120

Advertisements

There are also laws against kidnapping and holding a person against their will. There is also a thing called "informed consent".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2016, 11:37 AM
 
8,352 posts, read 8,630,950 times
Reputation: 26097
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
There are also laws against kidnapping and holding a person against their will. There is also a thing called "informed consent".
When a court issues an order that requires the minor to submit to treatment, there is no more legal issue about informed consent. The court's order takes the place of the consent by either the child or her mother. If the hospital were sued for battery for providing treatment without consent, all it would need to do is produce a copy of the court order authorizing treatment. The case would than be dismissed.

This is not rocket science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2016, 11:43 AM
 
8,547 posts, read 5,291,963 times
Reputation: 9120
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
When a court issues an order that requires the minor to submit to treatment, there is no more legal issue about informed consent. The court's order takes the place of the consent by either the child or her mother. If the hospital were sued for battery for providing treatment without consent, all it would need to do is produce a copy of the court order authorizing treatment. The case would than be dismissed.

This is not rocket science.

You're right that it's not "rocket science" but forced "treatment" is questionable from an ethical standpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2016, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,593 posts, read 26,269,493 times
Reputation: 26655
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I know someone who has refused treatment for colon cancer; of course, she's not a 17 yr old. An RN of 40 yrs. I respect her right of choice, as we should respect this young girls choice as well.

I just want to point out that a panel of judges rejected Cassandra's initial refusal of treatment because her reasons for rejecting treatment were thought to be immature. In addition, she demonstrated other behaviors that she was not mature enough to make a life threatening decision for herself, including running away from home.

She may now decide for herself. If she wants to make a stupid, irrational decision, she can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2016, 10:15 PM
 
12,469 posts, read 14,631,909 times
Reputation: 14261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
If this girl has read all about the treatments and looked up the stats about recurrence and survival rates and made an informed decision, I think she has every right to turn down the treatment being forced upon her.

Teen fighting chemo says she knows she'll die without it - CBS News
It's absolutely despicable that this intelligent young woman is being denied the right to pursue alternative medicine. Her chances of the alternative therapies working will be less because of the toxic chemo she's being forced to endure.
I'm glad she'll be of legal age soon.

Her saying she knows she will die without it is just her saying what the orthodox docs are telling her...what they want her to say..to appease the ruthless b244tards who fill her body with toxic, very damaging chemicals...and the media who loves to exploit her.
Bet once she's aloud to make her own decision..she'll say different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2016, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,593 posts, read 26,269,493 times
Reputation: 26655
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
It's absolutely despicable that this intelligent young woman is being denied the right to pursue alternative medicine. Her chances of the alternative therapies working will be less because of the toxic chemo she's being forced to endure.
I'm glad she'll be of legal age soon.

Her saying she knows she will die without it is just her saying what the orthodox docs are telling her...what they want her to say..to appease the ruthless b244tards who fill her body with toxic, very damaging chemicals...and the media who loves to exploit her.
Bet once she's aloud to make her own decision..she'll say different.
The ""ruthless b244tards" who filled her body with "toxic, very damaging chemicals" initially controlled her disease. If they had been allowed to continue to treat her they probably would have cured her.

The "ruthless b244tards" who filled my son's body with "toxic, very damaging chemicals" saved his life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 09:52 AM
 
4,637 posts, read 10,539,669 times
Reputation: 10353
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You're right that it's not "rocket science" but forced "treatment" is questionable from an ethical standpoint.
She was a minor....

Is it "unethical" that she could not vote? buy alcohol? rent a hotel room? rent a car?

The line has to be drawn somewhere, in our society we have decided the age of majority is 18....

If one cannot make other life changing decisions before this age why should one be able to choose a death sentence over life saving treatment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 09:59 AM
 
4,637 posts, read 10,539,669 times
Reputation: 10353
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
It's absolutely despicable that this intelligent young woman is being denied the right to pursue alternative medicine. Her chances of the alternative therapies working will be less because of the toxic chemo she's being forced to endure.
I'm glad she'll be of legal age soon.

Her saying she knows she will die without it is just her saying what the orthodox docs are telling her...what they want her to say..to appease the ruthless b244tards who fill her body with toxic, very damaging chemicals...and the media who loves to exploit her.
Bet once she's aloud to make her own decision..she'll say different.
She has already reached legal age to choose dying i.e. alternative "medicine"...

Her saying that she knows she will die without effective treatment i.e. conventional medicine would be factual

The facts are irrefutable on this....

prior to chemotherapy being available for Hodgkins less than 10% of patients survived

after chemotherapy became available over 85% survived

She can make her own decision now...as for being able to "say different" not for long unfortunately...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 10:02 AM
 
8,547 posts, read 5,291,963 times
Reputation: 9120
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The ""ruthless b244tards" who filled her body with "toxic, very damaging chemicals" initially controlled her disease. If they had been allowed to continue to treat her they probably would have cured her.

The "ruthless b244tards" who filled my son's body with "toxic, very damaging chemicals" saved his life.
They let her go home when she was still 17. They are were "allowed" to treat her and they decided that she was cancer free and they sent her home. They didn't cure her. They didn't save her life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 10:07 AM
 
8,547 posts, read 5,291,963 times
Reputation: 9120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
She was a minor....

Is it "unethical" that she could not vote? buy alcohol? rent a hotel room? rent a car?

The line has to be drawn somewhere, in our society we have decided the age of majority is 18....

If one cannot make other life changing decisions before this age why should one be able to choose a death sentence over life saving treatment?
It's not ethical to show up at a person's home with a heavy police escort and force a girl who is so scared that she is hiding in her closet, calling her mom, because she doesn't know what the hell is going on and why the "authorities" have come to take her away in an extreme show of force. It's not ethical to strap a person down and force surgery on them. It's not ethical to not allow a minor's mom to be there for the forced surgery. It's not ethical to deny food to a girl with cancer just in case you may have to sedate her in order to force treatment on her. It's not ethical to hold her against her will in a hospital room with an armed guard at the door for five months. The treatments did not save her life. She still has cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top