U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 01:32 PM

13,438 posts, read 15,046,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I don't agree. That process takes too long and by then they will have forced lots of stuff on this patient. There is simply no time for that bureaucratic nonsense.

I have been to a National Youth Rights Association meeting back in 2010 where one lady gave a testimonial about the process of emancipation. It took her something like 14 months and then she got denied at the last moment with no notice or explanation when her final court meeting was scheduled for the next day.

She ended up getting married in order to get emancipated.
Chances are the lady also didn't want to commit suicide, however. Emancipation not being a rubber stamp has itd reasons. Basically it only occurs when the child is better equipped to make decisions than the parent is, which very well may have been the case for the lady in your story. It's unlikely the case in this one. At 18, however, then it becomes harder to force treatment. It's still possible because people aren't always sane or rational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 01:48 PM

9,999 posts, read 4,223,466 times
This is absolutely appalling. No human has the right to dictate whether one lives or dies. It's her body, she's the one enduring everything. She's the one who will have to deal with the aftermath of the chemo. Not the courts.

This reminds me of archaic mental asylums -- when 'patients' were strapped down and given lobotomies. Sure it might theoretically counteract the illness, but at what cost?

Is the US really still this backwards?

Old 01-10-2015, 01:52 PM

20,867 posts, read 22,446,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
It is hard call some people refuse medical treatment for what ever the reason. Forcing some one for treatment is not right but at same time it is curable.

If some one got shot or stabbed and had good chance should they be allowed to refuse medical treatment.

Even if a doctor got shot and had problem and it was curable does even he have right to refuse medical treatment.

It open up big problem.

With out medical treatment she will die.
There is no cure for Cancer. Cancer is not "curable" but it can go into remission. For some it can be for a very long time and for others a shorter time. There is no way to predict how long or how short a time. We can share anecdotal stories until the cows come home but the fact of the matter remains, no one, not even the doctors, can predict for certain whose life will be extended and whose won't.

My friend's husband didn't survive his Hodgkin's after a year of rigorous chemo treatments. My previous landlord is still alive and well after eight years of having chemo for his Hodgkin's. Cancer is a ticking time bomb and can reoccur at any moment as another friend's has after only five years when her first round of chemo was deemed to be a success.

There is no saying that without medical treatment this girl will die. It is possible her life will be prolonged, at some expense regarding permanent side effects from the chemo but then again as in the case of my friend's husband in my first example, perhaps she wouldn't.

Regarding the side effects, everyone responds differently to those as well. Some have them only during the chemo, some have lingering side effects that never disappear. Apparently this girl does not want to deal with any of this. Her body, her choice and I believe she is old enough to choose.

No one can say for certain either way what the outcome would be if she does or does not take the chemo. She knows the risks of both choices.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
So if a parent decides to starve their child to death, the government doesn't have the right to intervene?
Poor analogy. Mentally healthy 17 year olds don't generally want to starve themselves to death, and certainly not to avoid a lifetime of frail health that would otherwise result.

And there is no indication that the girl is not mentally sane.

So you've got nothing.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
As a survivor of this type of cancer, I can say with 100% certainty that she and her family have done absolutely no research on this type of cancer if they are making this decision. It is NOT an informed decision.
You are fortunate. I know people who did not survive this type of Cancer even with Chemo. But my knowledge is just as meaningless as yours because neither one of knows this family personally and has no knowledge of what they have or haven't researched. You cannot take one person's experience and apply it to all. Unless you know the people in question, saying you "know 100%" anything about them is ridiculous.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:59 PM

Everyone here keeps on harping on how chemo is effective for her type of cancer.

But maybe that's not the point. Maybe quality of life is more important to her than exhaling CO2 for more years.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:10 PM

13,480 posts, read 9,602,375 times
Late stage cancer can be incredibly painful.

I don't necessarily agree with the government stepping in here, but I hope it turns out for the best.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:20 PM

796 posts, read 1,335,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
These are not peer reviewed studies, nor are they referencing specifically to Hodgkin's lymphoma.

When were you diagnosed with cancer and which alternative therapy did you pursue?
Some use natural methods to AMELIORATE or lessen,the side effects of chemo/radiation which can wreak havoc.

Those are general info links, as i said, to get people started looking into the other effective alternatives which they might not know exist. I don't have to provide you with ANY studies whatsoever, YOU are certainly capable of finding them yourself. don't you DARE make demands on my time.

If you want to know how it's done, get busy, it will take you a while to learn all about it. (I am NOT going to spend my time on this thread, you'll have to do it yourself). Look at Mercola's research links and the other site's too, don't ask me for them, i am not your friggin research slave! DO YOUR OWN DANG HOMEWORK! took me 40 years but you can find stuff a lot quicker these days. START NOW because it takes time and effort to inform yourself. THAT is the most important thing to do.

As for being diagnosed with cancer, i haven't been, and I thank God who heals better than anything. My strategy has been to AVOID cancer by deliberate PREVENTION. and so far, so good.

Last edited by 2bpurrfect; 01-10-2015 at 02:28 PM..

Old 01-10-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Late stage cancer can be incredibly painful.

I don't necessarily agree with the government stepping in here, but I hope it turns out for the best.
Absolutely true. This is why my best friend some years back rejected a third round of chemo and chose hospice and assisted suicide. As an adult she could do this.

Of course her situation was nothing like this girl's but the fact is, she did have the choice to make without any interference from any state or medical establishment telling her otherwise.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:32 PM

13,438 posts, read 15,046,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
Some use natural methods to AMELIORATE or lessen,the side effects of chemo/radiation which can wreak havoc.

Those are general info links, as i said, to get people started looking into the other effective alternatives which they might not know exist. I don't have to provide you with ANY studies whatsoever, YOU are certainly capable of finding them yourself. don't you DARE make demands on my time.

If you want to know how it's done, get busy, it will take you a while to learn all about it. (I am NOT going to spend my time on this thread, you'll have to do it yourself). Look at Mercola's research links and the other site's too, don't ask me for them, i am not your friggin research slave! DO YOUR OWN DANG HOMEWORK! took me 40 years but you can find stuff a lot quicker these days. START NOW because it takes time and effort to inform yourself. THAT is the most important thing to do.

As for being diagnosed with cancer, i haven't been, and I thank God who heals better than anything. My strategy has been to AVOID cancer by deliberate PREVENTION. and so far, so good.
Um, yeah, listen to the guy that thinks that AIDS is caused psychological stress caused by the fear of the completely harmless human immunodeficiency virus. Dudes a complete quack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or