Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 10:22 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,445,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-52 View Post
I don't care if the victim is black, white, purple or green there is still a legal definition of innocent and not guilty. He was found not guilty under the law not innocent. This is fact.
It's not fact and you don't understand how the law works.

And the US court system as well as the Supreme Ct. operates under the Presumption of Innocence principle. Hence he is innocent, UNTIL proven guilty. You can spin the words as much as you like but that is the way he is. GZ is innocent of the charges brought against him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffin_v._United_States
The presumption of innocence, sometimes referred to by the Latin expression Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat (the burden of proof is on he who declares, not on he who denies), is the principle that one is considered innocent until proven guilty.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:24 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,475,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
No it applies to "only" who self-claim they are law abiding citizens and not who look like "thugs" Same way - people believe TM should not have done anything when he was stalked real bad but call 911 and follow what they had to say.

However, when GZ did call 911 and was told not to do anything and wait for cops to arrive in his truck he ignored that completely went ahead and killed someone but this is justified

If you think GZ was in his truck when dispatch said we don't need you to follow, you should go back 2 1/2 years and read upon the trial.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:35 AM

1,077 posts, read 866,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's not fact and you don't understand how the law works.

And the US court system as well as the Supreme Ct. operates under the Presumption of Innocence principle. Hence he is innocent, UNTIL proven guilty. You can spin the words as much as you like but that is the way he is. GZ is innocent of the charges brought against him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffin_v._United_States
The presumption of innocence, sometimes referred to by the Latin expression Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat (the burden of proof is on he who declares, not on he who denies), is the principle that one is considered innocent until proven guilty.
All offenders start off with a presumption of innocence.

An acquittal doesn't equal innocent of charges, just means the jurors didn't feel the prosecution met their standard of guilt.

Wikipedia isn't the best source since anyone can edit..

Quote:
Quote:

Definition

At the end of a criminal trial, a finding by a judge or jury that a defendant
is not guilty. An acquittal signifies that a prosecutor failed to prove his or
her case beyond a reasonable doubt, not that a defendant is innocent.
Thus, a person may be acquitted of a crime but found civilly liable in a civil
case regarding that same crime, e.g. O.J. Simpson, because civil cases have a
lower burden
of proof
than criminal cases.

Acquittal | Wex Legal Dictionary / Encyclopedia | LII / Legal Information Institute

So you can say he was found innocent till pigs fly but doesn't mean that's correct...

Old 01-17-2015, 10:35 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,480,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
BBM

Doesn't mean that at all. It does mean the jurors didn't not think the Prosecutors met their burden of proof.

Not guilty in no way equals innocent..

snipped....
Not guilty is also a verdict in a criminal trial by a judge sitting without a jury or by a jury after finding that the prosecution has not proved the defendant guilty of a crime beyond a reasonable doubt or that it believes the accused person was insane at the time the crime was committed. The bar against double jeopardy under the U.S. Constitution prevents the defendant from being tried again for the crime charged.

Not Guilty Law & Legal Definition
Apparently, that only applies to OJ Simpson. I never heard a single rant that he was found not guilty therefore INNOCENT. But George Zimmerman is indeed innocent, according to some, no matter how much his behavior indicates otherwise.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scampii View Post
Provide one trial where a jury returned a verdict of "innocent."

Just one.....
A jury can't return a verdict of innocent because the accused is already innocent until they decide otherwise.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
All offenders start off with a presumption of innocence.

An acquittal doesn't equal innocent of charges,
You contradict yourself.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Apparently, that only applies to OJ Simpson. I never heard a single rant that he was found not guilty therefore INNOCENT....
Just like Zimmerman, OJ was innocent of the criminal charges brought against him. OJ was innocent. People ranting against OJ have no bearing on this just like those here ranting on and on about Zimmerman.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:46 AM

16,343 posts, read 8,427,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
No it applies to "only" who self-claim they are law abiding citizens and not who look like "thugs" Same way - people believe TM should not have done anything when he was stalked real bad but call 911 and follow what they had to say. However, when GZ did call 911 and was told not to do anything and wait for cops to arrive in his truck he ignored that completely went ahead and killed someone but this is justified
Funny you should put it that way. Because if I were TM and called the police and they told me to stay put and wait for the police, I would not have listened to them under those conditions(assuming he was scared and running away). I would have kept running until I got home, than had the police meet me there.

Why TM chose to call his girlfriend instead of the police is a mystery to many people. More importantly, had he done so, when he and GZ encountered each other again, all he would have needed to say is "I called the police and they are on their way". It is highly unlikely it would have escalated with that type of an attitude on either one of their parts.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You contradict yourself.

How so?

I gave you the legal definition of what an acquittal is and it's not innocent...

Old 01-17-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Funny you should put it that way. Because if I were TM and called the police and they told me to stay put and wait for the police, I would not have listened to them under those conditions(assuming he was scared and running away). I would have kept running until I got home, than had the police meet me there.

Why TM chose to call his girlfriend instead of the police is a mystery to many people. More importantly, had he done so, when he and GZ encountered each other again, all he would have needed to say is "I called the police and they are on their way". It is highly unlikely it would have escalated with that type of an attitude on either one of their parts.

IIRC, they were already on the phone talking as he was walking back from 7eleven headed to his father's fiancé's home..so Trayvon didn't call his friend instead of the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.