U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 10:03 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,869,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Hahaha, I wish it was that simple. Conservatives loved this guy and went to bat for him. Who was the thug? An innocent kid or this creep? You can't distance the conservative movement from him now. No matter how hard you try.
Exactly. I mean, who donated all of those hundreds of thousands of dollars to Zimmerman? The NAACP? Obviously there were and are millions of people in this society, especially in the conservative Reicht-wing/Stormfront/redneck/savage community, who see him as a hero simply because he killed a black kid, and even more so of one because he got away with murder.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:14 PM

9,206 posts, read 4,238,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post

There is nothing exotic about hyphenating the ethnicity of Americans. White ethnic groups have identified as such since there have been whites in America. To tell me that it should be OK for whites to call themselves Irish Americans, German Americans, Italian Americans, Polish Americans, Portuguese Americans, Croatian Americans or Hungarian Americans, but that there is some strange PC problem with black folks identifying as African Americans is simply preposterous.
I never said that and do not believe anyone should be identifying themselves as a hyphenated- American. Instead they should proudly proclaim themselves as an American. If someone then asks them what their ethnic background is, by all means say your forefathers were XYZ.

I don't see any of the people who identify as any of the European ethnicities - hyphenated American to have been insulted. To be frank, I have no idea where you get that notion. You must never have lived in a city or region such as New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Chicago.

Here is an except from a speech Teddy Roosevelt gave almost 100 years ago;

Teddy Roosevelt: "No Room in This Country for Hyphenated Americans"

[CENTER][/CENTER]
[LEFT]There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer tohyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all.”[/LEFT]

“This is just as true of the man who puts “native” before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or English or French before the hyphen. Americanism is a matter of the spirit and of the soul. Our allegiance must be purely to the United States. We must unsparingly condemn any man who holds any other allegiance.”
“But if he is heartily and singly loyal to this Republic, then no matter where he was born, he is just as good an American as any one else.”
The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English- Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian- Americans, or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality than with the other citizens of the American Republic.”
“The men who do not become Americans and nothing else are hyphenated Americans; and there ought to be no room for them in this country. The man who calls himself an American citizen and who yet shows by his actions that he is primarily the citizen of a foreign land, plays a thoroughly mischievous part in the life of our body politic. He has no place here; and the sooner he returns to the land to which he feels his real heart-allegiance, the better it will be for every good American.”
[CENTER]Theodore Roosevelt
Address to the Knights of Columbus
New York City- October 12th, 1915
[/CENTER]

Rest assured TR was not the only person who felt this way, but he certainly was one of the most patriotic & respected presidents our country has ever had.

`

Old 01-18-2015, 10:23 PM

5,088 posts, read 2,045,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellflower View Post
You mean while Trayvon bashed Would-Be Officer George's hairless melon 11 or 12 times into the sidewalk with his two hands AND administered multiple blows to Officer George's mug with his third hand AND pinched Officer George's nostrils shut with his fourth hand AND covered Officer George's mouth with his fifth hand AND went for Officer George's gun with his sixth hand? All this while Officer George's blood filled Officer George's eyes, ears and piehole to the point where Officer George could not speak or breathe or see and was fading in and out of consciousness WHILE simultaneously crying, screaming and wailing like a child for his mama, all according to Officer George? Cool story, bro.

If you haven't already, you might want to take a closer look at the photos of Trayvon Martin's corpse and clothing, with particular attention paid to pesky details like blood transfer at close contact.
Haha.. and of course, after all that, was freely able to shoot... the gun in the holster, under his jacket, that he was not sure if TM saw or got hold of or... blah, blah, blah. GZ couldn't quite decide what to tell everyone. Un-freaking-believable...

I wish to God there could have been video proof of what happened or something, (though I can see it in my mind), so the discussions could end, the doubters would say "oh" and he would have been in prison. Yay.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I never said that and do not believe anyone should be identifying themselves as a hyphenated- American. Instead they should proudly proclaim themselves as an American. If someone then asks them what their ethnic background is, by all means say your forefathers were XYZ.

I don't see any of the people who identify as any of the European ethnicities - hyphenated American to have been insulted. To be frank, I have no idea where you get that notion. You must never have lived in a city or region such as New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Chicago.

Here is an except from a speech Teddy Roosevelt gave almost 100 years ago;

Teddy Roosevelt: "No Room in This Country for Hyphenated Americans"

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer tohyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all.”

“This is just as true of the man who puts “native” before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or English or French before the hyphen. Americanism is a matter of the spirit and of the soul. Our allegiance must be purely to the United States. We must unsparingly condemn any man who holds any other allegiance.”
“But if he is heartily and singly loyal to this Republic, then no matter where he was born, he is just as good an American as any one else.”
The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English- Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian- Americans, or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality than with the other citizens of the American Republic.”
“The men who do not become Americans and nothing else are hyphenated Americans; and there ought to be no room for them in this country. The man who calls himself an American citizen and who yet shows by his actions that he is primarily the citizen of a foreign land, plays a thoroughly mischievous part in the life of our body politic. He has no place here; and the sooner he returns to the land to which he feels his real heart-allegiance, the better it will be for every good American.”
Theodore Roosevelt
Address to the Knights of Columbus
New York City- October 12th, 1915

Rest assured TR was not the only person who felt this way, but he certainly was one of the most patriotic & respected presidents our country has ever had.

`
That's the same guy who presided over a Jim Crow military and a country that denied voting rights and basic human rights to millions because of the color of their skin. I don't seem to recall hearing about any flowery speeches he made about that.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:35 PM

9,206 posts, read 4,238,914 times
Quote:
That's the same guy who presided over a Jim Crow military and a country that denied voting rights and basic human rights to millions because of the color of their skin. I don't seem to recall hearing about any flowery speeches he made about that.
What is it with you
You say you have never heard of what I am talking about(regarding Hyphenated-Americans being an insult historically), I provide proof, and instead of either thanking me for educating you, or admitting I was correct, you want to deflect and be dismissive.

`

Old 01-18-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
What is it with you
You say you have never heard of what I am talking about(regarding Hyphenated-Americans being an insult historically), I provide proof, and instead of either thanking me for educating you, or admitting I was correct, you want to deflect and be dismissive.

`
First of all - just because Teddy Roosevelt made a speech doesn't prove a damn thing about the existence, or the relevance, of the concept of hyphenated Americans. For every word he uttered, there were millions of Americans who continued to maintain their ethnic identity. I don't consider that positive or negative.

Secondly- you did not educate me, as I have known about that speech for decades.

Third - how are you correct about anything? I point out - correctly - that Roosevelt's speech meant nothing to the millions of "Americans" who were not considered real "Americans" and you tell me I deflect.

I don't deflect a damn thing. I speak the truth and point out hypocrisy.

I'll debate and discuss things with you any time, but you can't honestly think I'm not going to point out holes in your - or TR's - arguments.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:50 AM

5,088 posts, read 2,045,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Last I heard on the local news, the lady won't testify, the event wasn't as portrayed in the media.

But there will be no end to this guy as long as he is a sitting duck for the next news story and he continues down this track.

If I were him I would change my name, get my supposedly influential father to seal the record, and move to the oil fields of the Dakotas for awhile. Or some small town in Texas or Idaho. Stay away from guns. And lay off the women for awhile, his picker is apparently broken.

OH, sure.. he is only a "sitting duck", it's the newsmakers causing him trouble.

Change his name? What would that solve? Everyone knows what he looks like.

Hasn't his father done enough? Actually, his upbringing would have contributed to his troubled personality. Where are his parents when he continues acting up? He seems to only identify as "a guy with a gun".

Move to somewhere remote? How would this change his outwardly, violent temperament, unless he is the only one around. Then he would just go after "suspicious-looking" animals or ones who disagree with him.

He has just picked the wrong women? Right, it's just everybody else who comes in contact with him who are the problem.

Are you freaking kidding?

Old 01-19-2015, 03:07 AM

44,344 posts, read 17,721,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You can repeat your nonsense all you want but there is no evidence that Martin attacked Zimmerman.
You have provided nothing that says that Zimmerman attacked Martin. The last 10-15 posts since the post you are quoting have been nothing but insults directed at various made up boogeymen. Insults, fallacies, false outrage, etc ad nauseum made by apologists & the delusional are not proof the Jury made the wrong decision. Martin is no innocent kid.

The Jury has decided this. Zimmerman is innocent of the charges. Case closed.

Time to move on.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:16 AM

1,077 posts, read 682,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You are making a false equivalence fallacy by using a generality to avoid the specifics.

Plenty of teenagers do drugs and make mistakes, and fortunately most have enough sense, due to decent parenting, to know the boundaries between bad behavior and dangerous activity. Most have the morals to avoid attacking others in the community. Martin, apparently lacked this common sense and morals.

TM made the mistake of physically attacking someone when he had full choice to just leave. Now he's dead because of it. Actions have consequences and TM, or rather his so called loved ones, found out what acting like a Thug will get you. I say loved ones because the dead only know they are dead.
With all due respect, you have those roles reversed..

It appears to me the only thug is, was and always will be GZ...he's a bully, a coward and without his weapons he's nothing..

What does this guy need an AK47? He might suffer from Napoleon syndrome..

If Trayon truly beat GZ the DNA evidence refutes that..GZ had more of TM's DNA on him while TM had a bloody fingerprint of GZ on the inside shirt....so was GZ holding him so he couldn't run to his father's home? Also no DNA of TM on the weapon...GZ is a liar, his family lied as well, is my belief.

It really boggles the mind when folks (general) won't admit to making a mistake by backing this very dangerous guy..

Old 01-19-2015, 06:30 AM

9,495 posts, read 4,845,764 times
Quote:
Exactly. I mean, who donated all of those hundreds of thousands of dollars to Zimmerman? The NAACP? Obviously there were and are millions of people in this society, especially in the
conservative Reicht-wing/Stormfront/redneck/savage community, who see him as a hero simply because he killed a black kid, and even more so of one because he got away with murder.
Stop. Try to think about what you write.

GZ's defense fund got around $ 300 k in donations. If each of those millions of 'conservative Reicht-wing/Stormfront/redneck/savages' who thought he's a hero sent only $1, how'd he get only $300 k ?

I understand your hatred of white conservatives triggers a reflexive hyperbolic absurdity in your brain, but at least try to, pause, think, then write.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or