U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 02:08 PM

2,866 posts, read 4,017,252 times

Advertisements

Why should it be Anonymous' job to protect freedom and civilization in general when various countries are paying their militaries and intelligence agencies a **** ton of money to do just that?

And is there any reason the CIA or their foreign equivalents couldn't accomplish this when it appears a bunch of guys taking it on as a side project while sipping Starbucks or playing techno is a shoe box sized apartment can?

These guys were already a big enough threat to land on the US no fly lists- so why weren't they under closer surveillance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 02:34 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,202,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Why should it be Anonymous' job to protect freedom and civilization in general when various countries are paying their militaries and intelligence agencies a **** ton of money to do just that?

And is there any reason the CIA or their foreign equivalents couldn't accomplish this when it appears a bunch of guys taking it on as a side project while sipping Starbucks or playing techno is a shoe box sized apartment can?

These guys were already a big enough threat to land on the US no fly lists- so why weren't they under closer surveillance?
Have you ever had any dealings with the government? Based on what I've witnessed, I'm surprised they're not riding their horses through the ruins of Pennsylvania Avenue, emptying Kalashnikovs at passersby.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:42 PM

152 posts, read 105,344 times
Better late than never, I say.

Also, the magazine should be given credit.
They were firebombed and harassed for years and kept at it.

Hats off to the fallen, who died exercising their God given right to free speech!

It cost them their lives but they had balls the size of grapefruits.
Makes all the snide remarks about the french seem misplaced.
That magazine kept going... and Sony yanked The Interview.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:51 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,535,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Yep, considering these groups use the Internet to spread their vile message and recruit....I would have thought this would be welcomed.
I don't think it's unwelcomed ... some folks are just skeptical that they actually have the ability, or if they're just looking for attention.

If they can do it, more power to them. If they can't, they need to stay out of the way.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:51 PM

19,649 posts, read 8,221,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post

Because Anonymous can operate outside of the law and most government agencies will get throttled if they try to do that (and get caught). Or the government agencies will end up being blackmailed by guys like Glen Greenwald and Snowden.

If Anonymous can do it--I hope they go all out.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:07 PM

11,818 posts, read 7,695,291 times
What a joke of a group, must be a bunch of wussies sitting behind PCs. What can shutting down Jihadist websites accomplish? They can easily copy their stuff and run new ones. Nothing is stopping that. You wanna help, go online and figure out where are other radical muslims are and turn them over to authorities.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:10 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,693,166 times
Hard for me to cheer them on when they themselves operate above the law and have caused a lot of damage in their own right. However I am reminded of that age old saying "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." So good luck to them.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:18 PM

2,866 posts, read 4,017,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
What a joke of a group, must be a bunch of wussies sitting behind PCs. What can shutting down Jihadist websites accomplish? They can easily copy their stuff and run new ones. Nothing is stopping that. You wanna help, go online and figure out where are other radical muslims are and turn them over to authorities.
I doubt shutting down websites is the goal at all. If anything I doubt they care about websites but probably want to access e-mail accounts, main frames or networked computers. I imagine it would be to collect every shred of information they could and put it in either the public domain or the hands of the people who could act on it. I imagine access to offsite & third party information accounts would also be useful.

Too bad they don't have a funding site. I'd throw in a few $.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:20 PM

11,818 posts, read 7,695,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
Hard for me to cheer them on when they themselves operate above the law and have caused a lot of damage in their own right. However I am reminded of that age old saying "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." So good luck to them.
They can only hurt big businesses that rely on providing stable business services to customers and many of their so called hacks are nothing more than kid's play. They were basically given free info by sympathizers, hardly consider professional hackers. Most of them got rounded up when they tried to hack Sony before. Kiddie hackers.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:27 PM

13,477 posts, read 9,597,589 times
I wish they'd go after their bank accounts instead of their websites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events