Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 01:38 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,767,482 times

Advertisements

So I tune in to my Sunday radio station this morning and my guy announces that he will no longer be on the air.

So I channel surf my favorite stations, this morning and I dont recognize any of the talk hosts.

What is happening? Just the SF Bay area? Or is this a nationwide trend? Are we doomed to canned shows for the foreseeable future?

What is happening in your corner of the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 02:14 PM

40,931 posts, read 48,901,953 times
Usually on weekends the regular talk guys are not broadcasting here.
I have to admit I listen to NPR on weekends. Hate that one of the Car Talk guys died recently.
They seem to be less Liberal / Conservative commentary on weekends and more entertainment.
Most of the regular AM stations sell their broadcasting to Investment and car people selling their products.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,329,413 times
Our biggest local talk radio station was all conservative, with local hosts except for Limbaugh for many years, about 1992-2010, when Limbaugh switched to a far less known AM station. Then it became country music hits, with horrible ratings, and in 2012 went back to talk, known as "smart talk" but after less than a year went to conservative again. Most are syndicated national hosts, with a handful of local. One of our FM stations is all talk, with a mix of liberl and conservative hosts, and a lot of weekend "how-to" and entertainment/foodie shows. In general, I'd say it's about the same as always for talk shows here, but I don't know many people that listen to it. Most are not into radio at all any more, preferring internet or MP3 device music.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:55 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,092,784 times
Talk radio regardless of content is just a bunch of people running their traps in hopes to get you worked up about something. I don’t care if it’s sports or politics it’s all the same.

I like to start my morning off with a little Phil Collins before moving on to some Slayer.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:57 PM

12,296 posts, read 8,015,922 times
Weekends are the B team of talk radio in Los Angeles if not sold outright to infomercials. The only talk radio that seems to be doing poorly are progressive/liberal political, sex talk, and general personal financial help as the financial product selling infomercial bought their old time slots.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:41 PM

5,774 posts, read 5,064,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Talk radio regardless of content is just a bunch of people running their traps in hopes to get you worked up about something. I don’t care if it’s sports or politics it’s all the same.

I like to start my morning off with a little Phil Collins before moving on to some Slayer.
Agree completely! Who wants to hear a bunch of idiotic know-it-all ranting and railing at the world in the morning? They all sound like intellectual midgets anyway, and their brand of shock-jock just prove their own inadequacy complex. "Yeah, I have a small pee-pee so I am going to sound all big and tough, yeah!"...

Old 12-07-2014, 03:41 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,776,845 times
A number of stations seem to be changing their lineup of talk show hosts and it’s not always for the good of the listeners. I’ve gone to listening to radio stations using streaming audio once I’ve found the hosts and shows that I want to enjoy. Radio isn’t what it used to be for sure. It’s all about revenue and making money, so the stations start pushing shows that they think are going to get higher ratings and more listeners.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:55 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,360,324 times
There's tons of talk radio around here. Throughout a given weekday, Hannity , Limbaugh, Ingraham, Ramsey, Clark Howard and many others are all available. Of course, it mostly all tends to be conservative leaning.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:51 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,401,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fargobound View Post
talk radio regardless of content is just a bunch of people running their traps in hopes to get you worked up about something. I don’t care if it’s sports or politics it’s all the same.

I like to start my morning off with a little phil collins before moving on to some slayer.
amen.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:25 PM

11,936 posts, read 8,263,141 times
I mix it up with a little conservative, a little liberal during the week. Then I try to figure out who's telling the truth. Heh.

Usually the liberals omit inconvenient truths and conservatives exaggerate insignificant truths.

On the weekends talk radio is all about God or money.

I'm in the middle of the country and we are the last to catch the national trends but I don't foresee a decline of talk radio anytime soon here. Nearly all the counties have their local news stations with local news talk and people depend on them.

Some of the big names hint at moving on. We'll see.

When the ranting and dishonesty get tedious, like AksarbeN, I switch to streaming online or music.

There are tons of podcasts, chuckmann.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events