U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Real or not?
Yes 37 75.51%
No 12 24.49%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2015, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
8,891 posts, read 4,840,854 times
Reputation: 7693

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Look at this image.



Real gun or not? Just, instant thought that runs through your head.

It'll tie back to Current event shortly.. Wait for it.
Well, either A, it's a Ruger knock off of a Kimber Ultra Carry or B, it's not real, because it is a .45 caliber, a darn small .45 caliber, and the maker of the small .45 is Kimber.

But that's just my opinion and I suppose someone else could come out with a small .45........though my experience with the Ultra Carry has not been that great, lots of stove pipes and jams, so I wonder why someone else would bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2015, 12:29 AM
 
Location: NWA/SWMO
2,749 posts, read 2,616,745 times
Reputation: 2659
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, either A, it's a Ruger knock off of a Kimber Ultra Carry or B, it's not real, because it is a .45 caliber, a darn small .45 caliber, and the maker of the small .45 is Kimber.

But that's just my opinion and I suppose someone else could come out with a small .45........though my experience with the Ultra Carry has not been that great, lots of stove pipes and jams, so I wonder why someone else would bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:03 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
8,891 posts, read 4,840,854 times
Reputation: 7693
Shrug.......think I bought my Ultra Carry close to the turn of the century. Just going with what the salesman told me.

To our "mystery" gun, there was also a question of whether or not the ejection port was big enough for a .45, but that's another thing.

BUT, in any event, even though the logic was wrong, the answer for the question posed was still correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:25 AM
 
Location: NWA/SWMO
2,749 posts, read 2,616,745 times
Reputation: 2659
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Shrug.......think I bought my Ultra Carry close to the turn of the century. Just going with what the salesman told me.

To our "mystery" gun, there was also a question of whether or not the ejection port was big enough for a .45, but that's another thing.

BUT, in any event, even though the logic was wrong, the answer for the question posed was still correct.

Static sitting on a table you can debate the points you bring up. Dynamically with it being pulled out and pointed toward you...well...you go whip out your micrometer. I'm pulling out my M&P...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:34 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
8,891 posts, read 4,840,854 times
Reputation: 7693
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Static sitting on a table you can debate the points you bring up. Dynamically with it being pulled out and pointed toward you...well...you go whip out your micrometer. I'm pulling out my M&P...
AHHHH, but that was not the question.

The question was look at the picture, real or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:40 AM
 
Location: NWA/SWMO
2,749 posts, read 2,616,745 times
Reputation: 2659
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
AHHHH, but that was not the question.

The question was look at the picture, real or not.
I seemed to read the title as "Immediate opinion", meaning "an opinion made very quickly"...not a complete analysis of ejection port sizes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:54 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
8,891 posts, read 4,840,854 times
Reputation: 7693
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I seemed to read the title as "Immediate opinion", meaning "an opinion made very quickly"...not a complete analysis of ejection port sizes.
Thinking is pretty quick but it does take longer to write it down.

As it was, the Kimber analysis was made quickly, the ejection port size was a secondary consideration that came up a few seconds later. It was the Kimber analysis that decided the answer.

BUT.......for the times I've fired the Kimber and all the times I've had stove pipes (which I don't get on the full size Kimber), that consideration is pretty much up front.

But, it's like name three U-2 type aircraft: U-2, RB-57, Mandrake. Or, quick, why isn't this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWeXgvot2TI
(at :40) the 747 type aircraft they are talking about in the video? A and B, A: 747's don't have tail ramps (or at least, tail ramps that low to the deck), B: main gear configuration is that of a military design transport, not a passenger designed jumbo.

Somethings in life that you are around enough of the time you can just see rather quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 02:08 AM
 
Location: NWA/SWMO
2,749 posts, read 2,616,745 times
Reputation: 2659
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Thinking is pretty quick but it does take longer to write it down.

As it was, the Kimber analysis was made quickly, the ejection port size was a secondary consideration that came up a few seconds later. It was the Kimber analysis that decided the answer.

BUT.......for the times I've fired the Kimber and all the times I've had stove pipes (which I don't get on the full size Kimber), that consideration is pretty much up front.

But, it's like name three U-2 type aircraft: U-2, RB-57, Mandrake. Or, quick, why isn't this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWeXgvot2TI
(at :40) the 747 type aircraft they are talking about in the video? A and B, A: 747's don't have tail ramps (or at least, tail ramps that low to the deck), B: main gear configuration is that of a military design transport, not a passenger designed jumbo.

Somethings in life that you are around enough of the time you can just see rather quick.
Okay, so analyze these two ejection ports on your computer screen again...



and the pic from the OP:


Please, tell me how you arrived at your conclusion about the ejection port cut in the slide being too small, now that I have presented you with another example of same said firearm.

Still feel confident using that as a measuring stick? Really?

No, you over-analyzed the situation and have now been wrong on two counts (the Kimber issue, and now the ejection port size). So, sitting in front of your PC, you have managed to deliberately choose two features that made the weapon "fake", only to now see that neither of them did so. IMAGINE how this must work out in the asphalt jungle if you can bungle it so bad with time to spare sitting at the PC!


http://www.sportsmans-depot.com/prod...s-8-Round.html

Last edited by JWG223; 01-13-2015 at 02:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 02:19 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
8,891 posts, read 4,840,854 times
Reputation: 7693
Compare the width of the hand grip to the width of the ejection port.

What's so tough about that for it not to generate a question.

As far as the asphalt jungle goes, that was not the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 02:29 AM
 
Location: NWA/SWMO
2,749 posts, read 2,616,745 times
Reputation: 2659
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Compare the width of the hand grip to the width of the ejection port.

What's so tough about that for it not to generate a question.

As far as the asphalt jungle goes, that was not the question.
Compare the barrel hood (and thus ejection cut out) / total barrel length ratios on both pistol's photos.

Also, yes, I compared the cutouts and grip widths since you asked me to. I used a tape measure as a gauge. Guess what? On both photos, the distance from the back, to the front of the cut-out is IDENTICAL to the distance from the top of the back-strap to the "ER" in "Ruger" on the grip, measured horizontally. Get a ruler and check me if you don't believe it.

So now you have admitted that you cannot accurately eyeball a comparison of one object in relation to another, even.

You need to presume it's real...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top