U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Real or not?
Yes 37 75.51%
No 12 24.49%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2015, 02:38 AM

8,878 posts, read 4,832,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Compare the barrel hood (and thus ejection cut out) / total barrel length ratios on both pistol's photos.

Also, yes, I compared the cutouts and grip widths since you asked me to. I used a tape measure as a gauge. Guess what? On both photos, the distance from the back, to the front of the cut-out is IDENTICAL to the distance from the top of the back-strap to the "ER" in "Ruger" on the grip, measured horizontally.

So now you have admitted that you cannot accurately eyeball a comparison of one object in relation to another, even.

You need to presume it's real...
We are not talking about my rules for tactical response........and we won't talk about those here, either.

Basically............"do not put anything down in writing which may be used against you in court"....and the Net is one lousy place to violate that rule.

Now, as far as the question goes, I answered it, I got it right. My logic may have been flowed, my eye balling the distance might have been incorrect, but regardless, I answered the question as presented and in this case, I got it right.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 02:45 AM

2,748 posts, read 2,614,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
We are not talking about my rules for tactical response........and we won't talk about those here, either.

Basically............"do not put anything down in writing which may be used against you in court"....and the Net is one lousy place to violate that rule.

Now, as far as the question goes, I answered it, I got it right. My logic may have been flowed, my eye balling the distance might have been incorrect, but regardless, I answered the question as presented and in this case, I got it right.
In short...you made a lucky guess based on incorrect perceptions (dimensional comparison) and misinformation (sales rep information on Kimber which is not accurate right now), correct?

Old 01-13-2015, 02:51 AM

8,878 posts, read 4,832,699 times
If you wish to see it that way, so be it.

But what's wrong with that? People make lucky guesses all the time; sometimes they are even wealthier for it.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:52 AM

30,445 posts, read 9,097,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Meh.. I thought about it more and the question is poor. There is no right or wrong answer, because either could be right.

It is a real gun in that it exists and is available to buy. However, it is a BB gun.

The point, which I failed at miserably.. Was, if that was pointed at you, would you be brown pantsing it?

I figured we could branch out into, assuming that everyone pretty much agreed that this was a horrible idea, why this thing is even on the market.

Another image of it that makes it more ominous to me, is this one.

Story about it at Real or Fake? Spartanburg PD See Troubling Gun Trend - WSPA.com

And.. If you wanted one for some odd reason.. Right at Walmart.. Or Sports authority, or various other locations.

Ruger P345 Precision BB Pistol Kit - Walmart.com

I figure it's not too long before we get a story of a cop shooting someone who pulls one of these. This is irresponsible on the manufacturer, IMO. It just looks TOO real.

Yet it looks just real enough for someone living alone to chase an intruder without a real one out of the house.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:43 AM

21,439 posts, read 18,155,050 times
Who, if ANY gun is pulled on them, is going to be "sizing up" the gun to guess wether it is real or not? No one. Any person is going to just react.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:53 PM

40,986 posts, read 32,696,264 times
I pity the fool who points one of those at me. I'm just sayin'.

If you don't want to get shot, don't act like you're going to shoot people.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:58 PM

191 posts, read 174,974 times
Definitey fake... looks plastic.. especially the silver part

But at a distance in someone's hand ... real

Old 01-14-2015, 02:56 AM

2,955 posts, read 3,193,554 times
I want it to look real if I spend the 49.95 to buy it for protection in my home.

I can't afford a .357 like I owned when I was in the service.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:22 AM

4,093 posts, read 2,823,415 times
Quote:
Look at this image.

Real gun or not? Just, instant thought that runs through your head.

Not.

1. Sturm Ruger is based in Southport, CT. The stamping on the slide says Prescott, AZ.

2. "45 AUTO" would read ".45 AUTO" (notice the decimal before the numeral 4).

3. I was told that the Ruger SR45 has a Glock-style trigger safety; the "gun" in the picture has a slide-mounted thumb safety.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:24 AM

4,093 posts, read 2,823,415 times
Quote:
I figure it's not too long before we get a story of a cop shooting someone who pulls one of these. This is irresponsible on the manufacturer, IMO.
That would be irresponsible of the dumb who pointed a weapon at a peace officer, not of the manufacturer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or