Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 06:44 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,090,605 times

Advertisements

Virginia anti-gay bill would let schools and hospitals turn gays away.

If this gets passed, will it soon be legal to pass a law that allows businesses/hospitals/professors/etc to refuse to serve Muslims?

Should businesses be forced to serve people they don't like?

which leads to my final question, is privatized apartheid wrong? I.e Should we go back to the 50s when there were separate sections for whites and blacks (but only in private businesses and I guess university settings) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 06:55 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,399,287 times
Nonsense, real reputable source too! LOL!

-VA Resident

Old 01-14-2015, 07:00 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,083,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post

-VA Resident
Bill Tracking - 2015 session > Legislation

It's buried in flowery rhetoric and legalese, but there you go.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post

-VA Resident
a) slate is a reputable online magazine.

b) if you had even looked at the article, it links directly where the bill the passed.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:44 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,736,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
a) slate is a reputable online magazine.

b) if you had even looked at the article, it links directly where the bill the passed.

a) Yes, Slate is a reputable source.

b) No, the bill has most certainly not passed - go back and peruse that link again. It has not been brought to a vote. It has not cleared committee. It has not even been brought to committee. Will it? Maybe. Will it pass the House? Maybe, but even that is doubtful - despite the fact that the GOP controls the House by more than a 2-1 margin over the Democrats.

c) It has no chance to clear the Senate, where the GOP only narrowly controls that body.

d) Even if we pretend it managed to get 21 votes in the Senate, the Governor - who was elected in 2013 running an unabashedly liberal and pointedly pro-LGBT campaign - will veto it in a heartbeat. And it has precisely zero chance of getting anywhere remotely close to veto majorities in the House (and as I said, in the Senate its passage is pure fantasy).

This is a worthy thread, because it's always a good thing to keep an eye on those who despise freedom and who hold elective power. And it's good to be vigilant. But one also needs to refrain from over-hyping things. And, again, this bill has absolutely no chance of becoming law. Not in most states, and certainly not in Virginia.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
a) Yes, Slate is a reputable source.

b) No, the bill has most certainly not passed - go back and peruse that link again. .
sorry, I said it in the first post and in the title, but yes you're right it hasn't been passed. I should have said "brought forth". If I could go back and edit it, I would have.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:27 AM

15,932 posts, read 12,188,685 times
doesn't matter, it will never pass the sniff test in 2015 America. It could pass but will never be enforced and anyone that does will get instant negative publicity.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:56 AM

62 posts, read 83,112 times
The good people of Virginia should be repulsed and insulted by the likes of Bob Marshall. I'm pretty sure they didn't elect him to make sure Gays are turned away from being served at schools, hospitals & restaurants.
Either way this violates every discrimination law in the US. I guess Marshall wants to bankrupt Virginia defending lawsuits from the Federal Government if this bill becomes law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events