U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 05:22 PM

45,510 posts, read 18,042,589 times

Advertisements

NYPD cops told 'no vacation time or sick days unless they stop slowdown and issue more tickets'

Apparently they have to resume making arrests in Black neighborhoods or no transfers, vacation, time off, etc. What's being referred to a "slowdown". City is missing the revenue from the reduced policing. This from those responsible for gutting the policing in the first place.

Quotas are good and being encouraged again.

This would make a good episode of the Twilight Zone.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 01-12-2015 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: fix title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 07:11 PM

6,860 posts, read 9,313,007 times
The word 'quota' is not used in police departments. Correct word used these days is 'productivity'. As in 'Officer Jones, what was your productivity this month'.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:50 PM

26,062 posts, read 33,064,041 times
NYPD chief denies report that officers told no vacations, sick days until summons slowdown ends | Fox News

I really wouldn't pay attention to sites like the Daily Mail, the New York Post, the Daily News, etc. Those sites are nothing more than grocery store tabloids.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:25 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,032,619 times
Of course; there are contracts .They are lucky they could be doing a sick out like in so many places in past. New Orleans even went on strike one time illegally.In most states I am aware quotas are illegal to set. One always has to remember that most of police authority comes from state penal and code of Criminal procedures. Traffic codes is also state. Cities only have limit power in criminal or traffic a law.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:11 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,827,100 times
Depends on the state. In many states cities can create extensive ordinance codes that do allow them to heavily fine and even jail (not imprison) offenders.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:38 AM

13,266 posts, read 10,407,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
NYPD chief denies report that officers told no vacations, sick days until summons slowdown ends | Fox News

I really wouldn't pay attention to sites like the Daily Mail, the New York Post, the Daily News, etc. Those sites are nothing more than grocery store tabloids.
As you link to a Fox News article lol.

One of the worst.

Possibly the chief didn't want the PR headache.

The fact that they feel they can "slow down" and the city keeps carrying on as usual tells you that they didn't need the heavy enforcement in the first place.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:39 AM

13,266 posts, read 10,407,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
The word 'quota' is not used in police departments. Correct word used these days is 'productivity'. As in 'Officer Jones, what was your productivity this month'.
Same difference.

The departments have quotas. The jails/prisons have quotas. Everybody has to make their buck off the "justice" system.

In some states, if a prison doesn't have enough inmates, the state has to pay a fee to the prison to cover the costs.

I thought the goal was to reduce crime

Old 01-13-2015, 10:55 AM

24,176 posts, read 30,312,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
NYPD cops told 'no vacation time or sick days unless they stop slowdown and issue more tickets'

Apparently they have to resume making arrests in Black neighborhoods or no transfers, vacation, time off, etc. What's being referred to a "slowdown". City is missing the revenue from the reduced policing. This from those responsible for gutting the policing in the first place.

Quotas are good and being encouraged again.

This would make a good episode of the Twilight Zone.
the city of new york would not take away vacation or sick days from the cops no matter what. thats an empty threat. the cops have the city by the balls and they know it. it will be interesting to see how they use this power that they realized that they have and have basically used for nothing so far. wait until they use for something (contract negotiations).

Old 01-13-2015, 10:58 AM

45,510 posts, read 18,042,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
.... wait until they use for something (contract negotiations).
I think you might have missed the real point of that article.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:59 AM

24,176 posts, read 30,312,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I think you might have missed the real point of that article.
you caught me! i didnt read the article. i just commented based on your title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events