U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-15-2015, 12:00 AM
 
Location: Washington State
15,409 posts, read 8,059,468 times
Reputation: 13202

Advertisements

Well they have the glorious gun control in Paris but it didn't stop a couple of nuts and no mention of the idiotic mentality that led to the Paris murders. Neesom is entitled to his opinion and I agree that too many bad things happen from guns but it is part of our rights as Americans and our government or another power will have trouble taking our rights and freedoms from us with the entire country armed....it's a pro vs con thing.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2015, 12:06 AM
 
8,874 posts, read 7,360,024 times
Reputation: 11833
If he were referring to too many criminals illegally having guns, then I'd agree with him. Most shootings here are done by people who don't legally own the guns they used in shootings. If he felt this strongly, then why is he still making movies that glorify guns? Paris has strict gun laws. That didn't stop Muslim terrorist from shooting unarmed cartoonist and unarmed police officers. There are laws against explosives but that didn't stop Muslim terrorist from blowing up trains and buses in UK.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 01:06 AM
 
Location: Oregon, formerly Texas
5,245 posts, read 3,406,033 times
Reputation: 8787
There are laws against shoplifting but there are still thieves and every store has still has loss prevention departments. Should we repeal anti-shoplifting laws?

Gun control will not and cannot stop terrorism. Terrorists have money. They have support. It wouldn't matter what the hell laws any country has, if there are obsessed people with money, support, planning, persistence and motivation they will be able to do things like the Charlie Hebdo attack. I don't see what gun control has to do with it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 01:28 AM
 
8,874 posts, read 7,360,024 times
Reputation: 11833
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
There are laws against shoplifting but there are still thieves and every store has still has loss prevention departments. Should we repeal anti-shoplifting laws?

Gun control will not and cannot stop terrorism. Terrorists have money. They have support. It wouldn't matter what the hell laws any country has, if there are obsessed people with money, support, planning, persistence and motivation they will be able to do things like the Charlie Hebdo attack. I don't see what gun control has to do with it.
Because when you make laws preventing people from having guns, youre taking them from the hands of law abiding citizens leaving the criminals the only ones with guns. Taking away a private citizen!'a ability to defend themselves makes them far more reliable on the government. Let the private citizens own guns if they wish.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 01:39 AM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,869 posts, read 13,663,083 times
Reputation: 8987
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The only kind of gun control they understand is total prohibition, even though NOBODY is talking about total prohibition. Liberals, most of all, understand that prohibition never works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Because when you make laws preventing people from having guns, youre taking them from the hands of law abiding citizens leaving the criminals the only ones with guns. Taking away a private citizen!'a ability to defend themselves makes them far more reliable on the government. Let the private citizens own guns if they wish.
Where in the 16 pages of this thread has anyone suggested total prohibition? Where has anyone spoken up and suggested we repeal an article in the Bill of Rights? Do any of these constitutional scholars know what it would take to actually repeal the 2nd Amendment?

Why is it that the only kind of gun control the overly-passionate-gun-enthusiasts understand is total prohibition? What keeps them from wrapping their brains around the concept that mostly the other side wants an end to selling firearms to random hobos in parking lots. We'd also prefer it if the violently insane were kept away from full-auto weapons with hollow point rounds.

But no. It's never that. We never have a conversation about how best to keep firearms away from criminals in fast food parking lots or away from paranoid schizophrenics with a history of violence.

It's always, "You want to take away my guns! You can have my guns when you pry them from my cold dead hands!"

Anyone have a hypothesis as to why?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 02:11 AM
 
38,353 posts, read 15,373,194 times
Reputation: 16926
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
.
But no. It's never that. We never have a conversation about how best to keep firearms away from criminals in fast food parking lots or away from paranoid schizophrenics with a history of violence.

Anyone have a hypothesis as to why?
Easy. They don't want to have a conversation about the demographic/sub-culture that is responsible for 90%+ of all the violent gun crime in the USA. Even more still, they don't want to discuss what it would really take to fix it. To do that would go completely against all the false narratives they spin every single day and they simply won't go there.

Do you want to know more? See : Results of 1/2 century liberal progressive government controlled social engineering. Hopedfully you like the R-word.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 02:14 AM
 
8,874 posts, read 7,360,024 times
Reputation: 11833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Where in the 16 pages of this thread has anyone suggested total prohibition? Where has anyone spoken up and suggested we repeal an article in the Bill of Rights? Do any of these constitutional scholars know what it would take to actually repeal the 2nd Amendment?

Why is it that the only kind of gun control the overly-passionate-gun-enthusiasts understand is total prohibition? What keeps them from wrapping their brains around the concept that mostly the other side wants an end to selling firearms to random hobos in parking lots. We'd also prefer it if the violently insane were kept away from full-auto weapons with hollow point rounds.

But no. It's never that. We never have a conversation about how best to keep firearms away from criminals in fast food parking lots or away from paranoid schizophrenics with a history of violence.

It's always, "You want to take away my guns! You can have my guns when you pry them from my cold dead hands!"

Anyone have a hypothesis as to why?
Why? Because we've seen this progression towards banning private gun ownership through history in other countries. The confiscation of private guns in other nations didn't happen overnight. It was a gradual progression. With every restriction placed upon gun ownership, another step towards confiscating guns was taken. Don't believe it can happen here? Some cities and states have tried their best to ban private gun ownership. Get the wrong judges in the US Supreme Court or the wrong people in Congress and it could happen.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 06:02 AM
 
2,004 posts, read 1,141,969 times
Reputation: 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
There are laws against shoplifting but there are still thieves and every store has still has loss prevention departments. Should we repeal anti-shoplifting laws?

Gun control will not and cannot stop terrorism. Terrorists have money. They have support. It wouldn't matter what the hell laws any country has, if there are obsessed people with money, support, planning, persistence and motivation they will be able to do things like the Charlie Hebdo attack. I don't see what gun control has to do with it.
You don't get it. Laws directed at people who obey laws but take away or restrict rights to no good are harmful to society. Your analogy about shoplifting is nonsense, rarely is anyone physically injured shoplifting. Admitting that people, not guns are responsible for violence is the first part to dealing with the problem. Lets ban cars because texting while driving kills thousands a year in the US. The technology exists to render mobile phones incapable of sending or receiving texts while the car is being drive. Aren't those lives lost worth saving, using your logic?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Whereever we have our RV parked
8,057 posts, read 7,079,669 times
Reputation: 13500
I've seen him in a few movies. Always played an Ahole. My guess is that is the role he plays best cause he knows it so well. Who does he think he is to come here and lecture the citizens of this country. Deport him and let him make his career in the British film industry.

He's a typical liberal. Protection for me, but not for thee.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 08:14 AM
 
2,181 posts, read 2,039,749 times
Reputation: 3138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Where in the 16 pages of this thread has anyone suggested total prohibition? Where has anyone spoken up and suggested we repeal an article in the Bill of Rights? Do any of these constitutional scholars know what it would take to actually repeal the 2nd Amendment?

Why is it that the only kind of gun control the overly-passionate-gun-enthusiasts understand is total prohibition? What keeps them from wrapping their brains around the concept that mostly the other side wants an end to selling firearms to random hobos in parking lots. We'd also prefer it if the violently insane were kept away from full-auto weapons with hollow point rounds.

But no. It's never that. We never have a conversation about how best to keep firearms away from criminals in fast food parking lots or away from paranoid schizophrenics with a history of violence.

It's always, "You want to take away my guns! You can have my guns when you pry them from my cold dead hands!"

Anyone have a hypothesis as to why?
We know exactly how to keep guns out of crazies hands', but mental health institutions don't release their information for the background check. Yell at them, don't try and shove more laws on us gun owners.

There are already laws about reselling firearms without a license. It's not legal. People who do it are breaking the law. What good is more laws going to do?

Full auto's are tens of thousands of dollars due to the ban on modern ones, and require lots of paperwork and waiting time. The only crimes committed with them have been at the hands of police officers. Same goes for suppressors, yet they are a pain in the butt to get also. As for hollow points, sorry but I'm not giving up a distinct advantage in defending myself so that you or anyone else can feel a little better. "Crazies" going on shooting sprees are ridiculously rare, you have a better chance of dying in a thousand other ways. So relax.

The gun control movement knows that you can't bite off too much at any one time or people will freak out (although they are so stupid that they try it anyway and do damage to their cause). It's a battle of a thousands paper cuts, they take a little, then a little more, then a little more, until eventually it's so hard and expensive to own and shoot guns that it becomes defacto total prohibition. That's the game plan of gun grabbers and that is why gun enthusiasts don't give an inch.

After Sandy Hook people wanted to ban the most popular sporting rifle in the country, purely because it looks scary and can hold 30 rounds in a mag. That is NOT okay. That is stupid for multiple different reasons. We who recognize this fight back. Luckily sanity prevailed this time, but the gun grabbers will be back.

I understand that most people aren't gun grabbers, but you have to understand that they exist, they are in positions of power, they have voting power, and they legitimately want to see guns go away as much as possible. They will never stop.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top