U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 06:24 PM

741 posts, read 681,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
i.e. IMO, you assume that I am a well off White who has no familiarity with the disadvantaged and looks down on them with contempt. You assume all of this based simply on my prose, English, etc. So you see, you are guilty of what you presume to accuse others of. It's easy to make clever attacks on the messenger, which is what you are really doing. Quite another to actually address the message which you have failed to do.
You've offered no substantive "message" other than to make predictable, pathetic, naive generalizations about a group of people that are most commonly heard from a very specific subset of society. I judge you and estimate your background based on your predictable, dumb ideas. Its an estimation that I would wager real cash on.

There are certain 'fungal-ideas' that only grow in a very specific 'intellectual-dung'.
Your kind is not innovative and you can be smelled from a mile off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 07:05 PM

4,721 posts, read 4,286,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nobody in civil society is going to try and "work" to fix lives of people who don't want to help themselves.

They live in the USA and every opportunity in the world is available to them, if they would get off their asses and take advantage of it. Every day there are people making dangerous journeys and crossing the borders illegally to have what these people are offered on a silver plate.

Neighborhoods don't go bad because of the people who move away. It's as nonsensical as the mantra that it is everyone else's issue to fix. It isn't.
No, every opportunity is not equally offered in this country. I grew up in a community where a good education and a safe childhood was a given, not every child gets that chance. Is it a kid's fault when he is born to a single mother with several children, no money, no hope, and an addiction? Is it his/her fault that his/her school is not up to par and full of violence? Is it his/her fault that life is not fair? Hope is hard to find in some parts of America. If we keep ignoring the problems of America's young and minorities, things will not improve. I would rather pour money into schools and job training than into welfare. I would rather work to improve our neighborhoods and make college more affordable than give to other countries. Some older Americans talk about working hard and making it with nothing, and that is admirable, but some kids see no way out. Let's help them find a way to change their future, and I think our country will be a safer, better place. We don't need to give handouts, but we do need to give a handup.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:13 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,140,493 times
Some parents failure to provide for their children doesn't make that anyone else's fault.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:14 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,140,493 times
Pour money into schools? Like Oakland, Ca?

Old 01-15-2015, 07:21 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,488,660 times
In regard to the original topic of the thread, it's no surprise that a celebrity is demonstrating hypocrisy and making excuses for their use of firearms when it suits their needs and pushes their careers forward. Harrison Ford was another hypocrite who was anti-gun towards the rank and file who bought tickets to his movies...where he is using a gun and killing people. Do as I say not as I do.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:43 PM

741 posts, read 681,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
There's some kind of emotional symbolism wrapped up in gun ownership that I don't quite understand either.
Its become an identity movement.
It hasn't always been this way.

Pre 9/11, a typical AR15 owner was a typical enthusiastic gun hobbyist with the occasional paranoids, cranks, militia types but for the most part, it was no big deal. Just boys and their toys.

Post 9/11, the gun thing became less about chokes and patterns and loads and optics and more about the identity associated with owning certain types of firearms and what message that sent to people around you. That, and the dumb fetishization people tend to do with firearms where they obsess over technical trivialities like some sort of persistent Aspergers tic.

The 'gun scene' went from being a dash nutty and maybe a bit fringe but filled with mostly normal people, to a bunch of sad losers who were looking for a sense of belonging and instead of joining a gang or a church, they found 'the gun thing'. That, and paranoid fantasists and Walter Mitty's who are legitimately scary.

THAT is the group I completely lost interest in associating myself with and unfortunately, more and more, that is what the gun world has been consumed by. That, and the fact that I am opposed to gun transfer anarchy makes me a 'liberal' to the tardfest that is the 'gun movement' makes it easier to just be independent about the whole thing and acknowledge how dumb both sides are.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:52 PM

4,598 posts, read 3,748,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I like him and his movies, but doesn't he sound a bit hypocritical considering the amount of gun usage and carnage in his movies? And what's that got to do with what happened in Paris, certainly a case could be made that lack of guns made things worse.

Liam Neeson on Charlie Hebdo, gun control in US | GulfNews.com
Whatever...that is his opinion just like how I think his movies are ****.

Guns don't kill people...crazy people kill people, guns are just the preferred method. Thank you Ronald Reagan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDKA97GcGpM

Old 01-16-2015, 12:14 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,638,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It's not that useful to me now and it is not my first line of defense for my home (a taser is). I actually keep the bolt for the AR-15 locked up because I'm worried a kid will get his or her hands on the weapon, so the weapon itself is usually non-functional. When I tell other gun owners that they look at me like I'm crazy.
I discussed what-if scenarios with an attorney who specializes in this sort of thing.

I was considering obtaining shotgun shells loaded with rock salt for home defense. The attorney advised me that if I'm going to shoot someone who doesn't belong in my house, make sure this person doesn't live to tell a jury his side of the story. Everything becomes more difficult if the intruder lives. (But that intruder had damned sure better be a real intruder, naturally.)

I wouldn't bother with a taser for that very reason. If you are unsure, consult an attorney.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:46 AM

6,317 posts, read 4,439,198 times
Neeson is correct.

Movies are not real life, folks.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:09 AM

38,060 posts, read 15,294,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
We know you're not a minority. Otherwise you wouldn't rail about them in every thread. Either that or you're the living embodiment of "Uncle Ruckus."
Actually I do belong to a minority, but I don't use it as a crutch to justify bad behavior and to blame my issues on everyone else instead of taking responsibility for them. So you are incorrect on this.

Nice touch, the Uncle Ruckus moniker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events