U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 09:09 AM

44,352 posts, read 17,707,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
You missed it again. Scoop was considering buying rock salt. The lawyer said it was not a good idea, as, if you're going to fire a weapon at someone, you had best have cause to do so, and they better end up dead..
I really was trying hard to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I haven't missed it at all. Try reading my original response again. It's you who completely missed the point. LOL

(maybe you should take a gun class too)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 09:23 AM

5,314 posts, read 6,285,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You ONLY point a gun at someone if you plan to kill them. This is what the lawyer told him. Any other reason is stupid and dangerous. The lawyer makes a legal point, but he ignores good old common sense. [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"] The lawyer says to kill the intruder, how is this not common sense?[/color]

If you shoot someone with rock salt there is a good chance they will pull out a gun with real ammunition to send you to your maker. You just attacked with what is presumed to be deadly force, but now you have no defense. This is exactly why cops shoot to kill.

Put real shells in that gun, if you have to have a gun, and then only use it when you are in a situation where you need to kill someone. Period. If you can't do this, then get rid of the gun. Anything else, you stand a good chance of getting killed if that gun is ever pulled out. The problem isn't lack of gun control in this country. The problem are people who acquire guns and then never educate themselves on the responsibility that comes with it. IMO, it's too much TV watching.

(Your story sounds made up, but if not, I suggest you find a better lawyer.)
[COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]The lawyer said to make sure the intruder is dead, why would he need to find a better lawyer?[/color]

Quote:
Indeed. Anyone getting rock salt shells does not understand why you own a gun. In regards to the lawyer, he is doing what lawyers do. i.e. Telling you what to do or say to avoid getting questioned on a witness stand but in this case, and why I don't believe the story, he is suggesting killing someone after they are down which is against the law.. [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]Where did he suggest this?[/color] Horrible lawyer.
Quote:
I really was trying hard to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I haven't missed it at all. Try reading my original response again. It's you who completely missed the point. LOL

(maybe you should take a gun class too) [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]I have been well trained in the military, and in various trainings since.[/color]
There may be confusion on both sides, as I read your original response and have quoted it above. My response was to you assertions that Scoop was getting wrong information when his lawyer recommended putting real shells in the gun, and only using it when you are in a situation where you need to kill someone (which is the same as your recommendation above).

And, now that it's posted, it is obvious I don't know how to change the color of my responses LOL

Old 01-16-2015, 09:38 AM

Good Lord.
The attorney advised me that if I'm going to shoot someone who doesn't belong in my house, make sure this person doesn't live to tell a jury his side of the story. Everything becomes more difficult if the intruder lives.
If you kill someone for that reason you have committed a crime.

You only point a gun at someone FOR purpose of killing them IN defense of your life. Any lawyer who would say something different than this, isn't worth your time.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Good Lord.
The attorney advised me that if I'm going to shoot someone who doesn't belong in my house, make sure this person doesn't live to tell a jury his side of the story. Everything becomes more difficult if the intruder lives.

You only point a gun at someone FOR purpose of killing them IN defense of your life. Any lawyer who would say something different than this, isn't worth your time.
Ohhh.. THAT'S what you're getting at. I see the misunderstanding. The lawyer didn't say anything different. The key point is "if I'm going to shoot someone who doesn't belong in my house". No, you can't go around killing people (duh).

But IF the person is an intruder, AND you're going to shoot them, MAKE SURE that person is dead. The whole sentence makes sense, and I believe we both agree that it is accurate.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:47 AM

^You still don't have it right.

You only point a gun at someone to kill them. There is no decision point beyond that. (making sure they are dead is completely redundant, and bad advice as it implies there is some choice after you decided to draw)

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 01-16-2015 at 09:57 AM..

Old 01-16-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
^You still don't have it right.

You only point a gun at someone to kill them. There is no decision point beyond that. (making sure they are dead is completely redundant)
Agreed. "making sure they don't live" is the same as "dead" (substitute, pushing up daisies, taking a dirt nap, etc)

Old 01-16-2015, 09:56 AM

13,972 posts, read 6,348,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
This is always the go-to response for these people when anyone disagrees with something they support in 'Murica.

Never gets old.
Word. I believe another poster on here, who just posted that your post was incorrect, said the exact same thing to me. Can't remember what the topic was.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:05 AM

2,004 posts, read 1,200,245 times
Quote:
Good Lord.

You're so wrong. While you should never point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot, that is completely different than what you are talking about, killing them. In no training or even in any sense of the idea of personal defense is the intent to kill someone, which is what you saying quite clearly and often. The intent is to stop the attacker, if they die as a result of the defense, so be it, but that is not nor should it be the intent. Understand the law, don't make it up as you go.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
You're so wrong. While you should never point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot, that is completely different than what you are talking about, killing them. In no training or even in any sense of the idea of personal defense is the intent to kill someone, which is what you saying quite clearly and often. The intent is to stop the attacker, if they die as a result of the defense, so be it, but that is not nor should it be the intent. Understand the law, don't make it up as you go.
I, personally, would feel much better if the intruder was dead. Dead intruders have no chance of returning fire. Nor do they have the capability of doing my family any harm. An additional "plus", if you will, is that they have no capability of doing ANY family any harm. They chose their actions, knowing full well that death was one of the possible outcomes. No sympathy from this end.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
... In no training or even in any sense of the idea of personal defense is the intent to kill someone, which is what you saying quite clearly and often. ....
I said nothing about 'personal defense'. I said IF YOU POINT A GUN AT SOMEONE.

Your best bet, in the wider topic of personal defense, is to do everything you can to keep from having to pull a gun in the first place and IMO, that includes not even owning a gun in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events