U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 07:29 PM

10,869 posts, read 13,725,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Please explain to us how drug users get heroine
Well, first of all they should be nice to her...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 08:57 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,760,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
It's not about having to have the laws, it's about the God given right of free citizens to protect themselves and their castle from invaders wishing to do them harm. Some states laws' are so ridiculous that you basically have to get shot before you can begin to defend yourself.

I don't see that as okay, the laws are basically giving criminals an advantage over law abiding citizens who actually contribute to society. Same goes for super strict gun control laws (like not allowing magazines over 5 rounds, not allowing pistols, not allowing the scary looking black evil semi automatic rifles). All those laws do is make it harder for law abiding folk to defend themselves, because you can be sure that criminals are ignoring the law.

Home invasions can happen ANYWHERE. In ANY state. Go check out Chicago, super tight gun laws yet gun violence is through the roof. The reason? Criminals don't follow laws. Imagine that.
And FL has the Stand Your Ground Law where people are getting shot and killed over texting in a movie theater, argument over a teen skateboarding on a basketball court(heaven forbid), cutting someone off in traffic....and on it goes.

Someone comes in your home uninvited, you have every right to defend yourself including shooting and killing them, but FL has taken it too far with STYG. There are also too many whack jobs who move to FL and think they're Wyatt Earp and have to armed to go have lunch at Applebees.

Floriduh, the state where if someone looks at you cross eyed, go ahead and shoot and just say "I felt threatened". In my time living there I never saw so many altercations between neighbors that ended with a dead body. Such important issues as your dog crapped on my lawn, your bush is growing over the property line, etc.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:11 AM

8,623 posts, read 5,940,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
I agree with this.

In defense of 'them', though, one thing the anti gun rights side is quite consistent with is talking out of both sides of their mouth.

"LET ME BE CLEAR... I DO NOT SUPPORT BANNING FIREARMS... BUT EXPLAIN TO ME WHY ANYONE NEEDS AN AR15 TO HUNT DUCKS?!?!"

I totally, totally support further gun controls and have a fairly deep disdain for conservative ideologues, but being objective, the anti gun rights side is a complete ****show in their own right. That's what tends to happen when you demand specific regulations on something you fundamentally do not understand.

Who hunts ducks with a rifle? Why do people need what ever they want, no matter how outrageous or ridiculous it may seem to another? Who needs a 500HP car? Who really needs a 5K square foot home? Who needs their own airplane? Who needs to ride a roller coaster 100 times?

The magic word is "want". We can do/have what we want. No one is hunting ducks with rifles and no one needs a rifle to hunt ducks. People want certain firearms for their own reasons. You likely have a private "want" others may object to.

Is it your choice or should it be left to a hostile entity to decide whether or not you may have said item or pursue whatever crazy venture you seek? Maybe it is your choice because you "want" it to be so.

When someone questions your choices, as a free person, that someone becomes dangerous. That is the beauty of living in the USA.

That should be enough explanation for you.

Your last paragraph was mad ranting with no destination.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:29 AM

16,563 posts, read 20,147,965 times
This man needs to read about the "glorious" life during the Cultural Revolution in China, when guns were banned, or read about life under Pol Pot in Cambodia.

That would change his mind very quickly!

Old 01-20-2015, 01:35 AM

21,629 posts, read 26,346,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin
Ben may not have meant what you think he did.

Lawfare What Ben Franklin Really Said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
He's right, America is a culture of Violence. From sports to entertainment, we are immersed in a gun crazed culture. Our official lives are shaped and molded by the authoritarian reliance of weapons to enforce laws. The biggest villain in all of this is the NRA and its insistence that every American from cradle to grave be armed with guns from manufacturers that send payments to the NRA for every weapon sold. The NRA leadership seems to crave and need the next school shooting, much like a drug addict needs the next hit.
The NRA is keen to recruit your child for its ends. They have a disgusting program that encourages gun play amongst minors "eddy eagle". This is right from Nambla's play book and is also used by the tobacco industry to desensitize children. They carefully groom children to produce the next generation of gun droolers and ammosexuals.
Be wary folks...don't let the filth of Wayne LaPiere become your child's environment
What sports immerse us in a "gun crazed culture"?

Skeet and trap shooting perhaps? Do you even know what they are?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...rap%20shooting

Target shooting?

INFOGRAPHIC: Target Shooting in America: Millions of Shooters, Billions of Dollars | NSSF Blog

I'll even mention hunting, and you only get to turn thumbs down on that one if you do not eat meat at all.

Entertainment? Do you realize most of us can tell fantasy from reality by about age five?

What are "our official lives" (as opposed to our "unofficial lives", I guess)? Where do you get your information that the NRA gets any money from gun manufacturers? Link? How about a link to a statement from the NRA that every American be armed?

Your allegation that the NRA leadership "seems to crave and need the next school shooting" would demand a little corroboration, too, don't you think? That one sounds a bit libelous. Can you prove it?

Eddy Eagle? Exactly what do you think the program is? Here is "disgusting" Eddie Eagle. the video is rated PG, not X:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIEBrb_wRYc

Eddie Eagle GunSafe|Eddie Eagle GunSafe

"Eddie Eagle is never shown touching a firearm, and he does not promote firearm ownership or use. The program prohibits the use of Eddie Eagle mascots anywhere that guns are present. The Eddie Eagle Program has no agenda other than accident prevention - ensuring that children stay safe should they encounter a gun. The program never mentions the NRA. Nor does it encourage children to buy guns or to become NRA members. The NRA does not receive any appropriations from Congress, nor is it a trade organization. It is not affiliated with any firearm or ammunition manufacturers or with any businesses that deal in guns and ammunition."

Maybe you can explain how ole Eddie "encourages gun play amongst minors". I'm not seeing it. In fact, it looks like you have a whole lotta 'splainin to do.

NAMBLA? Really?

We have always had guns in our home. DH is an ex-Army Ranger officer and Vietnam veteran, now a respected professional. He just likes to collect guns, occasionally target shooting with them. He has friends who do the same. We reared two sons (both respected professionals) who know how to handle guns safely and have them in their homes, secured from their children. I guess we are all "gun droolers and ammosexuals."

None of us belong to the NRA, by the way, though I do like shoot 'em up movies.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:06 AM

8,981 posts, read 4,904,472 times
One of the things I find interesting about the anti AR-15 argument is that is over a piece of technology that is over 50 or even 60 years old. Similar thing with the Uzi. And if the argument is taken to "automatics" vs revolvers, then we are talking about technology that is over 100 years old.

Which can put the argument in a different light. Why does someone want to deny a population a technology, a knowledge that is so old? Why does one want to keep a population in a knowledge darkness?

Old 01-20-2015, 04:25 AM

38,846 posts, read 15,614,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
I can play a terrorist in a movie, does that mean in real life I must support them? Some of the points here about Neeson being a hypocrite are utterly ridiculous! Yes, he plays action heroes - He is an ACTOR. His characters are NOT him. Is that so hard to grasp?
He's only against guns when he isn't making money showing off with them.

So whether or not you believe this makes him a hypocrite on the matter, Neeson certainly can't take the high ground on the issue. Someone who is really against guns, should be calling out Hollywood on their glamorization of violent gun movies instead of making money with Hollywood glamorizing guns.

It's quite easy to run your mouth. Quite another to take some real action. Neeson is a hypocrite.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:59 AM

2,852 posts, read 2,866,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And FL has the Stand Your Ground Law where people are getting shot and killed over texting in a movie theater, argument over a teen skateboarding on a basketball court(heaven forbid), cutting someone off in traffic....and on it goes.

Someone comes in your home uninvited, you have every right to defend yourself including shooting and killing them, but FL has taken it too far with STYG. There are also too many whack jobs who move to FL and think they're Wyatt Earp and have to armed to go have lunch at Applebees.

Floriduh, the state where if someone looks at you cross eyed, go ahead and shoot and just say "I felt threatened". In my time living there I never saw so many altercations between neighbors that ended with a dead body. Such important issues as your dog crapped on my lawn, your bush is growing over the property line, etc.
SYG was not applied in the movie theater case.

SYG was not applied in the Skateboarder case.

SYG would not apply in for cutting someone off unless the aggressor was about to or int he act of committing bodily harm.

It seems like you have no clue as to what SYG actually means:

SYG ONLY dissolves the criminal and civil cases against you if you are clearly in danger of bodily harm. Why is this a bad thing? Should you be hit by a drunk driver and they now get to sue you because you were in the way?

Old 01-20-2015, 08:06 AM

2,852 posts, read 2,866,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
One of the things I find interesting about the anti AR-15 argument is that is over a piece of technology that is over 50 or even 60 years old. Similar thing with the Uzi. And if the argument is taken to "automatics" vs revolvers, then we are talking about technology that is over 100 years old.

Which can put the argument in a different light. Why does someone want to deny a population a technology, a knowledge that is so old? Why does one want to keep a population in a knowledge darkness?
Because people have a hard time with understanding that a rule applies evenly and cannot be picked over. In this case the constitution is afforded to everyone from the 1st Amendment to the last one penned. The best part comes when people, while being interviewed on TV, state that the 2A doesn't apply to firearms that the founding fathers could never envision (which is wrong, but lets not digress) while on a contraption that would be science fiction.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:14 PM

627 posts, read 318,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
They do act, hence why they're actors. Why are they not allowed to voice their opinions on certain matters? They are after all human beings like the rest of us with the ability to speak. Look at Ted Nugent, I don't see cons exclaiming that he should shut his mouth & just play music. I wonder why that is?
He is allowed to voice his opinions and we are allowed to voice ours. But, if he really was that much against guns, he wouldn't glorify them in movies, now would he!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events