Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:05 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,611,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
.....I have yet to meet a gun nut who didn't believe this -- hook, line and sinker.
So you associate with a lot of "gun nuts"? Do you have a definition of this BTW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 11:08 AM

741 posts, read 914,610 times
We have to be honest and realize that the 'slippery slope' isn't always fallacious.
Its not like the pro gun side wants for contemporary examples of precisely their 'worst case scenario' occurring. Canada, Britain and Australia being three fairly recent examples where actual en-masse confiscations took place.

This is part of why this issue is just so unwinnable. Of course nobody worries that they will take away grandpas shotgun, but what about the guy who owns some AR15's? Or a Barrett M82? Don't think for a second that his neck isn't on the chopping block... and at what point do we 'trust' the government to draw the line, especially considering there are a ton of people in government who would ban them all, if they could?

This is why I note its just unwinnable. Both sides have diametrically contrasting premises that are equally valid.
* It makes perfect sense to control the acquisition of firearms. To do so would require some sort of registry.
* It makes perfect sense to assume that at some point, that same registry will be used to ban certain firearms when the political winds are blowing right (after some tragedy).

Old 01-13-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Every guy is a good guy with a gun....until they use the gun. I don't know why cons keep saying only criminals misuse guns. How to account for all those people out there shooting others with no criminal record? Well, now they're a criminal.
The great irony of the "If you demand all guns to be registered, only good guys will register their guns" line of thinking is that they're essentially ceding the most ruthless way to instantly demarcate "good guns" from "bad guns" is to register them.

If only good guys will register, we can assume all guns that aren't registered belong to bad guys, thus contraband.

I have a cousin who is a cop. A good cop. He's told me some stories about the sorts of 'characters' he's had to let go while in possession of firearms. Like, gang-bangers with open murder investigations who have yet to be formally charged, driving around with a holstered loaded pistol that just barely meets state requirements for being 'securely encased' thus legal...

Think they would 'register' that gun?

Old 01-13-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
So you associate with a lot of "gun nuts"? Do you have a definition of this BTW?
I can define it.

Someone who exerts a bizarrely disproportionate amount of energy on firearms and/or firearms activism.
You can spot them instantly.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:18 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,988,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
You can spot them instantly.
Agreed -- 100% You can see them coming from a mile away, both in real life and online.

I have a feeling they know in their hearts that they're a little unhinged. Therefore they realize they're in danger of having their guns confiscated if this country finally does something about separating maniacs from their firearms.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:22 AM

Ever notice how they can contort any issue into an Obama/gun issue?

Newsman: In today's weather, Ottumwa, Iowa received record snowfall!!

Gun Nut: YEAH WELL IF IT WERE UP TO OBAMA THEY'D BE BURIED UNDER THAT SNOW DISARMED AND HAVING TO DEFEND THEIR PREPS WITH SHOVELS FROM ALL THE LOOTING THUGS! THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE MILITARY AND LAW ENFORCEMENT!

Old 01-13-2015, 11:58 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
A

I have a feeling they know in their hearts that they're a little unhinged. Therefore they realize they're in danger of having their guns confiscated if this country finally does something about separating maniacs from their firearms.
You never answered either question that I posed to you. I'm particularly interested in how you know so many "gun nuts".

Now, are you accusing these "gun nuts" of committing crimes such as murder, robberies, cop executions, gang warfare, and any other violent gun related crime? If not, then what is your definition of this category of gun owner and what should be done with them?

Old 01-13-2015, 12:00 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Can you imagine if we ever elected a guy president because he was a movie star? How stupid would that be?
Probably about as stupid as electing a community organizer...

Old 01-13-2015, 12:02 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,988,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You never answered either question that I posed to you. I'm particularly interested in how you know so many "gun nuts".
I live in Las Vegas. Las Vegas is the capital of Gunnutistan. Go to the Las Vegas forum and toss out a "which gun should I buy for home protection" thread and watch the nuts take the bait and run in the same direction that they always do.

We have billboards for ammo near the highways. Half the taxis in town have "mention this ad for a discount on your machine gun experience." My favorite, though, is how everyone agrees that you absolutely MUST attend this particular gun show this particular week because Obama is going to crack down on gun shows soon.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:04 PM

99,524 posts, read 4,490,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Most of Hollywood is full of hypocrites. "Do as I say, not as I do" types.
It is easy for them to pontificate about things they know little to nothing about, because of the adulation poured upon them. In reality, most are under-educated, and have very little practical life experiences. How nice it must be to rail against guns, yet have armed bodyguards to keep you safe. I guess they don't realize that average people don't live in fortresses, nor can they afford 24/7/365 personal protection from armed experts.

Another fool to add to my list of movies not to spend my money on, if they are in it.

`
Then you should avoid anyone else who doesn't share your opinion as well. What about the owner of your favorite restaurant or your car mechanic? Would you really stop spending money on them if their political opinions turned out to be at odds with yours?

IMHO, Jon Voight is a Tea Party lunatic. However, I can still enjoy seeing him at work in a TV show or movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events