U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:05 PM
 
38,353 posts, read 15,397,410 times
Reputation: 16935

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Probably about as stupid as electing a community organizer...
Indeed. Reagan proved himself a two term governor of California first. Much different than community agitator.

If Reagan was in office now, I'd imagine that he simply tell the idiots in the US media to shut-up and report some real news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,869 posts, read 13,666,212 times
Reputation: 8987
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post

IMHO, Jon Voight is a Tea Party lunatic. However, I can still enjoy seeing him at work in a TV show or movie.
That's because you don't insist that everyone march lockstep with you. That's why we don't hear things like "I wish Ted Nugent would just shut up and play." But we DO hear that about Bruce Springsteen.

Fear and conformity drives the narrative for these people. And I don't think that's ever going to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:09 PM
 
38,353 posts, read 15,397,410 times
Reputation: 16935
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I live in Las Vegas. Las Vegas is the capital of Gunnutistan. Go to the Las Vegas forum and toss out a "which gun should I buy for home protection" thread and watch the nuts take the bait and run in the same direction that they always do.

We have billboards for ammo near the highways. Half the taxis in town have "mention this ad for a discount on your machine gun experience." My favorite, though, is how everyone agrees that you absolutely MUST attend this particular gun show this particular week because Obama is going to crack down on gun shows soon.
You still have not answered either question. They are not hard questions if you are really are someone who is willing to stand by what he says. But I think you really wish to avoid ANY conversation that focuses on the demographic (since you made it about demographics) that actually commits crimes with guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
6,482 posts, read 5,977,383 times
Reputation: 6939
Charlton Heston (R.I.P) told an amusing anecdote about his gun hating neighbors during the LA riots.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv.../nra120797.htm


"Most people in the film community are unfamiliar with firearms and many oppose them, some quite virulently," Heston wrote. "During the L.A. riots in 1992, a good many of these folk suffered a change of heart. As smoke from burning buildings smudged the skyline and the TV news showed vivid images of laughing looters smashing windows and carting off boomboxes and booze, I got a few phone calls from firmly anti-gun friends in clear conflict. 'Umm, Chuck, you have quite a few . . . ah, guns, don't you?'
" 'Yes, I do.'
" 'Shotguns and . . . like that?'
" 'Indeed.'

" 'Could you lend me one for a day or so? I tried to buy one, but they have this waiting period . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,869 posts, read 13,666,212 times
Reputation: 8987
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You still have not answered either question. They are not hard questions if you are really are someone who is willing to stand by what he says. But I think you really wish to avoid ANY conversation that focuses on the demographic (since you made it about demographics) that actually commits crimes with guns.
There are MULTIPLE demographics that commit crimes with guns. One of those demographics is "white men and youths with home arsenals." They're the demographic that tends to shoot up schools and post offices. I know PLENTY of people in this demographic because they're my neighbors.

As for the gang members, thugs and lowlifes who also commit crimes with guns, I don't know too many of them. You are absolutely right about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:27 PM
 
38,353 posts, read 15,397,410 times
Reputation: 16935
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
....

As for the gang members, thugs and lowlifes who also commit crimes with guns, I don't know too many of them. You are absolutely right about that.
So lets sum this up:
  1. You are against "gun nuts" even though you can't (or won't) define what this means.
  2. You claim you know "gun nuts" because you live in Las Vegas
  3. You don't know gun criminals, even though you live in Las Vegas
  4. You reluctantly admit the "gun nuts" are not criminals, but you are still against them.
  5. You haven't said that you are against real criminals with gun, but take away the guns from the "gun nuts".
Conclusion. You want to take away guns from legal gun owners who have committed no crimes with said guns, but real gun criminals hold no interest. Did I make any mistakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
5,610 posts, read 5,530,513 times
Reputation: 4847
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And that's because the gun-nut crowd (as opposed to the responsible firearms owners out there) invariably, and to-a-man believes the slippery-slope fallacy as a matter of faith. If we restrict the dude with the teardrop tattoo from buying his AR15 in the McDonald's parking lot, the very next day FEMA troops are going to smash down their front door and confiscate grandpa's shotgun. I have yet to meet a gun nut who didn't believe this -- hook, line and sinker.
This is truth (except they would claim it was ATF instead of FEMA). There could be a school shooting every single day and the gun goobs would never admit that availability of guns was PART of the problem.

It's interesting because the NRA and the gun crowd have flipped on violent movies. In the '70s and '80s they'd jump up and down and throw a tantrum if anybody even SUGGESTED that gun violence on TV and in the movies influenced people's behavior.

Now, they blame violent video games and movies for their influence relative to violence in real life because they have to blame this stuff on something. After Sandy Hook and Aurora it was "mental illness". It's everything under the sun besides availability of guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,720 posts, read 24,654,865 times
Reputation: 9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
I agree with this.

In defense of 'them', though, one thing the anti gun rights side is quite consistent with is talking out of both sides of their mouth.

"LET ME BE CLEAR... I DO NOT SUPPORT BANNING FIREARMS... BUT EXPLAIN TO ME WHY ANYONE NEEDS AN AR15 TO HUNT DUCKS?!?!"

I totally, totally support further gun controls and have a fairly deep disdain for conservative ideologues, but being objective, the anti gun rights side is a complete ****show in their own right. That's what tends to happen when you demand specific regulations on something you fundamentally do not understand.
No one buys, uses, or justifies ownership of an AR15 to hunt ducks. An AR15 is a semi-automatic rifle. People hunt ducks with shotguns, not rifles.

At the risk of saying for the umpteenth time, an AR15 is different from other semi-automatic rifles only in its appearance. It fires a cartridge (bullet) each time you pull the trigger. It is not a machine gun. Just like other semi-automatic rifles that Americans have owned for nearly a century. These rifles are involved in a miniscule number of homicides, and the ten year ban from 1994-2004 had no effect on the homicide rate. A ban has already been tried - and it did nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,720 posts, read 24,654,865 times
Reputation: 9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
I can define it.

Someone who exerts a bizarrely disproportionate amount of energy on firearms and/or firearms activism.
You can spot them instantly.
You can tell just by looking at them? Really!

You have no idea how many people who are staunch gun rights supporters, gun collectors, marksmen, etc. who don't drive a truck, don't wear camouflage, or an NRA hat. They might drive an Audi, and wear a great suit and Swiss watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Louisiana
7,304 posts, read 3,983,363 times
Reputation: 5908
Dear Liam,
I saw one of your movies where only the military and police had guns.
Schindler's List.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top