U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 06:28 PM

240 posts, read 185,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Yeeeessssss...... lets all take a minute to reflect upon how well being on the Harvard Law Review prepares one to be the leader of a great nation.....

Lets face it, actors and lawyers are both politicians. There is acting, theres a script, and theres a large payoff for those who play the game right.
He is right , no need for automatic weapons to protect your house , autos are only to kill lots of people and all of you who think otherwise are idiots..look at our school shootings HELOOOOO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 06:52 PM

11,780 posts, read 8,209,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taajsgpm View Post
He is right , no need for automatic weapons to protect your house , autos are only to kill lots of people and all of you who think otherwise are idiots..look at our school shootings HELOOOOO
Those weren't auto's. The guns used in school shootings were rifles, handguns, and I think one was done with a shotgun. All of the guns were semi automatic. (semi = 1 pull, 1 shot; auto = 1 pull, multiple shots)

Old 01-13-2015, 07:10 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,613,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
Your post here makes two critical errors.

1) I was sarcastically referring to the narrative that anti gun types prattle on about when doing that intellectually dishonest thing they do where they simultaneously assert that nobody wants to ban guns, anyone who thinks that is just 'paranoid' yet then strongly imply that certain firearms need to be banned. You didn't comprehend very simple sarcasm.

2) Spare me the semantic horse****, amigo. I am a unicorn. I support further gun controls, yet I have filled out a Form 4. Blow your mind a bit? I must be lying, right? Well its the truth, so max-LOL at you going on with the 'it's not a machine gun' routine with someone who once owned a tax-stamped, registered DIAS.

In this regard, you fail- hard- trying to baffle with bull****. There were no semi automatic rifles with detachable box magazines holding 30 rounds a hundred years ago.

One thing we probably generally agree on is that gun bans 'by type' are mostly impotent and feel-good in nature.
Hard to read sarcasm online. Maybe you should just write.

It is hard to blow my mind. So you filling out a form 4 isn't earth shattering. None of your posts on this thread show you know much about guns.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:56 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,893,154 times
A Jedi lightsaber is more his style.

Good thing Qui-Gon was killed by one.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:42 PM

741 posts, read 681,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Hard to read sarcasm online. Maybe you should just write.

It is hard to blow my mind. So you filling out a form 4 isn't earth shattering. None of your posts on this thread show you know much about guns.
That would probably be because this thread isn't a showcase on gun knowledge, I would wager if you and I were in some real time real time Jeopardy type format, I would crush (not just 'beat' but 'crush') you on either general firearms knowledge or gun law knowledge.

Not saying this to toot my own horn or anything, but you're going to look like a gigantic asshat if you find yourself drifting into the predictable talking points about what separates a semi auto from a full auto to a guy who once had a USPSA A card and paid 5 figures for a RDIAS.

I still support gun rights, but have no interest in the 'guns as an identity movement' that ****-show of losers has become in recent years, particularly over the past decade.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:44 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,165,368 times
I really don't want to know what most actors think because it can distract from my being entertained by them. I wish the entertainment news would just stick to asking them movie related questions.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:46 AM

18,794 posts, read 13,579,606 times
Quote:

In this regard, you fail- hard- trying to baffle with bull****. There were no semi automatic rifles with detachable box magazines holding 30 rounds a hundred years ago.
There was the Lewis gun (full auto, not semi auto) of 1911, which had detachable magazines holding 30 rounds. The BAR (1918) was limited to 20 rounds mainly because a longer magazine would have been a problem when firing from prone. The technology certainly was there.

The 1907 Winchester was basically an assault rifle, initially offered with a 5 round mag, and then a 10 and 15 round mag in 1914, 101 years ago. They didn't offer 30 round mags, not because they couldn't, but presumably because they thought 15 was enough.
Winchester 1907 Self loader - 100 Year Old "Evil Assault Rifle", Phil Davis

Bottom line--100 years ago, they had pretty much the same firearms technology as we have today.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:30 AM

741 posts, read 681,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Bottom line--100 years ago, they had pretty much the same firearms technology as we have today.
That is a somewhat semantic debate, since access was very different.

Hell, even the footprint for ordinary AR ownership has shifted RADICALLY in the past 15 years with the onset of the internet and suddenly a horde of people realizing that they could own them legally and that they weren't machine guns, etc. It did about the same thing to to the price of transferable MG's. It used to be limited to hobbyists and hard-core gun enthusiasts, now, every drywall installer and auto mechanic has to have an AK (and puts a picture of him shooting it in his facebook picture)

Still, though, the fact that you can walk into a gun store with a relatively tiny amount of money and walk out with a semi auto AK variant is a cost/firepower/availability ratio that totally outstrips the semantic argument of what was available 'in theory' 100 years ago. You're really grasping at straws with all that weak equation and again, I'll remind you that kind of bull**** might be baffling to someone who knows nothing about firearms but you have the wrong audience here.

Still, though, the good-gun/bad-gun argument is mostly moot. The VA Tech shooter used an ordinary handgun. The problem is unfettered access and zero accountability in the aftermarket transfer ecosystem basically allowing anyone to lay hands on one at any time even if they are a prohibited party or bat**** crazy.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:38 AM

38,084 posts, read 15,294,447 times
Quote:
Still, though, the fact that you can walk into a gun store with a relatively tiny amount of money and walk out with a semi auto AK variant is a cost/firepower/availability ratio that totally outstrips the semantic argument of what was available 'in theory' 100 years ago. You're really grasping at straws with all that weak equation and again, I'll remind you that kind of bull**** might be baffling to someone who knows nothing about firearms but you have the wrong audience here.
It's been a while since I've seen so much prose used to basically say "nonsense I don't believe it". i.e. You are stating an opinion, which you are entitled to, but it's just an opinion. As to what was available a century ago, this was a very common gun and in those days, there were NO background checks. You failed to disprove the party that you were responding to.

Ye Olde Tommy Gun

Old 01-14-2015, 06:48 AM

4,721 posts, read 4,286,485 times
He needs to stop making money as an action figure seeking vengeance, if he truly has a problem with guns in America. He is a hypocrite. If he truly has believes against weapons, he should show it through his body of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events