Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 11:54 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,543,671 times

Advertisements

Tell me, OP, are you the guy who puts out raw meat stuffed with rat poison in neighborhoods where folks let their dogs off leash? I've known three very sweet and loving family dogs who died that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 11:55 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Well I apologize, but people on here are so crazy I thought that's why you mean. You know the crazy stuff that's been posted on here by the "dog lover" phsychos(ie saving the dogs in a fire before the family)
I think you are exaggerating wildly. They might have said they consider the dog part of the family, or would risk their life to save their dog, but I don't believe for a second someone said they'd save their dog over their husband and kids. Most people who love dogs (and I am one, I kiss them, baby talk, etc) keep them on leashes because they love them, to keep them safe

It is neglect IMO and poor dog care to let a dog roam freely where it could get hit or stolen, and you would be hard pressed to find anyone who loves dogs enough to consider them family who would also keep the dog unleashed.

THIS story though is ridiculous to put under the umbrella of neglectful people who let their dogs roam unleashed. This is a story of a man who takes his dog to the dog park on the bus daily, then one day the bus came before the guy was ready, so the dog hopped on the bus without him. Everyone on the bus already knew the dog from his daily trips, and everyone thought it was adorable and extremely smart (he knew where to get off), and he became a local celebrity of sorts. Why people think it means the dog runs all over town by himself is beyond me.

It's just a funny story about a cute dog, some of you guys really need to start meditating or something.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:59 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
So the verdict is in....NO LEASH LAWS. Right? And letting your dog roam is A-OK.

There's a dog bite epidemic. But hey let's have no leash laws or responsibility for our domesticated wolves. I'm sure the people on here would be blaming the human victim if someone got attacked.

You letting a dog run loose has an effect on others. Period. It's simply a matter of HUMAN DOG OWNER'S not caring about anyone but themselves. I don't think people get it. It's not about THE DOG. It's an animal. It's about the HUMAN OWNER letting it run loose.
sorry your rage, fear of dogs and head slapping are lost on the others here

Old 01-14-2015, 12:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,543,671 times
YIKES!!!!! I was terrified of all dogs not leashed until I was about forty years old, and then I got some great experience that totally got me over about 95% of my fear.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:07 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
Quote:
I never saw the question. I've been bitten twice as have a LOT of children. It's an epidemic. People seem to be in total denial the danger presented by an unpredictable domesticated wolf. That's what a dog is. That's why we have leash laws.

The whole argument on here is about leash laws. So you actually agree with me since the majority of posters have come on talking their normal b.s. about dogs being better than people and that it's important to not only NOT leash dogs, but just let them run totally loose through a neighborhood like they do in Mexico.(3rd world country)

I was wondering when the Mexico bashing would come into play.... like you can make assumptions about an ENTIRE country based upon the little you know about a small portion of it.....

stereotyping seems to come easy to Mr. Lizard....

who, btw, seems to be the only one arguing.... nearly everyone else can see the story for what it actually is....

Old 01-14-2015, 12:21 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,273,927 times
Quote:
So if they attack someone will you fight against euthanasia for the dogs and then go and just expect the human victim to take it? And then try to find a way to blame the victim?
<shrug>
They have shown no sign of ever doing that. I'm sorry you were unlucky. But I've never been bitten by any dog and have been around plenty. I think most of the folks in my neighborhood view it as "innocent until they show any sign of any aggression or any anti-socialness," which they haven't.

I would not automatically go to "euthanasia or bust," no. I don't know what revenge murder would accomplish.
Quote:
Maybe people should get off their lazy ass and walk your dog and then take him to a dog park rather than letting them run loose.
<shrug>
They're farm dogs. They usually stay on the farm. I doubt they've ever had a leash on, ever. Here and there they come and visit. Then they go back to the farm. They're great. We're fine with them.

In general I'm with several of the others, as I mentioned - I think leashing is a good thing to protect the dogs and the humans.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 01-14-2015 at 12:37 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 01:12 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times
Goodness, I've been bitten twice in my life, one being my parents' dog that I was growing up with! Another that I was meeting to consider adopting! My parents' dog was in the house, the other WAS ON A LEASH yet still bit me while I was just standing there letting it approach me. I still love to share my life with dogs (and cats and birds and sometimes a rodent). I like animals, what can I say?

I think that story about Moscow is great! I'm amazed that feral dogs interact with humans on such a cordial level. I encountered a pack of feral (or semi) dogs on a walk in the woods of the Kangamangus up in New Hampshire. Let me tell you, my then husband and I were scared sh*tless. After backing away and the dogs coming forward, growling, God put the words in my head and I commanded them to "GO HOME!!" They turned tail and left. I had been sure we were dead ducks. That's why I think they were semi-feral. Poor pups who lost their families probably from bolting out of a car or being walked with no leash.

Yes, I believe in leashing your dog but not in an enclosed yard. Speaking of which, I used to walk everyday after work and I would pass a house that had 3 Rottweillers behind a fence. They would go crazy and jump up on the fence wanting to get at me so bad. I told my Dad and he gave me some pepper spray. I also changed my route. A while later, the cops were called to that house for something, the dogs broke through the fence and the cop had to shoot. He got mangled because it was 3 against one but the dogs got shot somehow. I count my blessings those "monsters" never got over when I was passing by.

Last edited by tamiznluv; 01-14-2015 at 01:22 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 01:32 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
The dog is adorable and I love the story. However, the dog should be leashed. It does send a message 'look how cute this dog is' to people who think not leashing a dog is okay.

My son was terrified of dogs until the age of 10. Absolute paralyzed with fear when he saw a dog. When a dog was off leash, forget about it, he was in full blown panic. I can't imagine being on the bus with him and the dog hops on his reaction. Personally I would want to go give the dog some love!

There are laws for a reason. Yes this dog is wonderfully behaved and doubtfully would hurt a person. But it is very irresponsible of the dog owner and foolish to think otherwise.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:44 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,872 times
Quote:
I never saw the question. I've been bitten twice as have a LOT of children. It's an epidemic. People seem to be in total denial the danger presented by an unpredictable domesticated wolf. That's what a dog is. That's why we have leash laws.

The whole argument on here is about leash laws. So you actually agree with me since the majority of posters have come on talking their normal b.s. about dogs being better than people and that it's important to not only NOT leash dogs, but just let them run totally loose through a neighborhood like they do in Mexico.(3rd world country)

I will gladly take my chances with dogs running loose. What concerns me is your running loose all over the place....YIKES

I was hoping you could post some links regarding the dog bite...."epidemic".

Old 01-14-2015, 02:00 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,028 times
Somebody needs to b*tch slap this owner. I'm a diehard animal lover, but I don't support something like this. Even though this dog is clearly friendly and loves people, we have leash laws for a reason.
Not everyone like strange dogs coming up to them and people who have been bitten in the past are often terrified of them. In addition, not all dogs get along with each other, so an offleash dog running up to a leashed dog-aggressive dog could start a nasty fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events