U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 02:11 PM

40 posts, read 54,139 times

Advertisements

I'd sit next to a dog any day, lighten up folks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 02:39 PM

21,429 posts, read 18,139,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Somebody needs to b*tch slap this owner. I'm a diehard animal lover, but I don't support something like this. Even though this dog is clearly friendly and loves people, we have leash laws for a reason.
Not everyone like strange dogs coming up to them and people who have been bitten in the past are often terrified of them. In addition, not all dogs get along with each other, so an offleash dog running up to a leashed dog-aggressive dog could start a nasty fight.
I freeze if I see an unleashed dog. Especially if it a bully breed of any kind but ALL dogs are a potential hazard if not leashed.

I don't condemn Eclipse because it is not HER fault. I don't condemn her owner either, the bus driver is the one who is responsible to uphold the rules or not.

Back in the '70s, before leash laws, my "dog" used to follow me to my parents house and uptown to the coffee shop. She was not a dog, she was a wolf hybrid. 1st generation. Best canine companion I ever had. When I say follow, I mean she tracked Momma. I drove but had walked the routes before but not with her. Amazing "dog".

Old 01-14-2015, 02:43 PM

14,311 posts, read 12,565,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Oh my god, a dog gets on a bus & rides it to a park. Big freakin' deal. It's funny. That's all there is to the story. Why are some making such a stink about it? Must everything that comes in front of your eyes be cause for grievance?

I will add, if I were the owner I wouldn't allow that to happen simply because people suck & I would assume someone would steal or hurt my pet. Other than that, it's a funny story.
This pretty much sums up how I feel about it.......I am more worried about the dog being harmed by people than the other way around.....after all.....homo sapiens are the most violent, unpredictable animals on earth.

I am willing to bet humans harm a lot more dogs than the other way around.....and we are supposed to be the more intelligent, compassionate species.

OP has an unrealistic fear of dogs, IMO.

Statistically, you are much more likely to be harmed or attacked by your fellow human than a dog.

That said, I believe in having dogs fenced in or on leash......for THEIR safety.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:45 PM

20,861 posts, read 22,433,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Tell me, OP, are you the guy who puts out raw meat stuffed with rat poison in neighborhoods where folks let their dogs off leash? I've known three very sweet and loving family dogs who died that way.
While I definitely do not believe the OP does this, I do see your point in mentioning the dog poisoning.

About five years ago, people were devastated to learn that someone was deliberately leaving poisoned meat in a dog park in a Portland, OR neighborhood. It was announced on the news that people should keep their dogs leashed and be vigilant as to where they walked their dogs in all the dog parks in the city.

Even so, there were more poisonings and dogs died. I don't think they ever caught the criminal who did this. I would be worried about allowing a dog to ride a bus or train in a large city where there could be people who were so anti-animal that they would do something like what was happening in the dog parks.

It would be different in a small town where everyone knew the dog and his owner. But in a large city where people can be anonymous, you never know who will do what.

For the safety of the dog and for no other reason, I wouldn't allow him to do this. I don't care how cute a story his bus ride makes.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:54 PM

11,677 posts, read 2,088,849 times
Minervah, unfortunately one of the poisonings was in a very small town where one neighbor just got on another's bad side, and the poisoning was very personal. I think I heard something about the Portland poisonings. I thought Portland was a pretty dog friendly place.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:54 PM
gg

16,933 posts, read 17,174,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Oh yes let's get rid of leash laws. It's proven unleashed loose dogs are a public safety hazard ....

Warning.... FEAR>>>> FEAR!!!! We must all protect ourselves. We must be safe! No dogs, not even a therapy dog can be off a leach!!!! WE MUST PROTECT ALL! CALL THE POLICE!!!!! GET A FIRING SQUAD!!!

So glad there are still places like Portland and Seattle. They sure are a breath of fresh air. I suppose Berkley might be cool to, but not sure. Some small towns might be cool enough to allow a dog to hop on a bus, but I doubt it. Nope, it is all fear all the time in the US of A. Dogs roaming around Moscow makes me realize how stupid the US has become. I guess the few stupid dog owners scared us all out of enjoying letting dogs run around. My town has a dog park with NO fence, but I live in a very wealthy town with a lot of educated people that have common sense. You aren't going to see a mean pit bull (no such breed) there, but Goldens and Labs, etc.

Ah well, you keep living in your fear world. You wouldn't have lasted a week in the 70's when I grew up. Man, they were great times compared to the fear days of today. Of course I don't fear dogs at all and they know it. One time I was charged by a HUGE Rotty and I stood my ground, raised my arm like I was going to throw something at it and it stopped dead. Oh and I had my whimsy freindly dog with me that the Rotty sure wanted to get at, but he knew better. Sadly, a few dopes have to destroy our country with the fear trail. We have more attorneys per capita than anywhere but Israel. Go figure!

Old 01-14-2015, 03:58 PM

4,859 posts, read 3,711,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Simple solution to that problem; get your cat her own TV.
Well, we have enough, I do suppose we could turn one on just for her....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
You can't put them on the same level...see this is the problem. It's like comparing a gold fish and a human. It's not comparable. THEY ARE A DUMB ANIMAL. Don't humanize them. They have no morality to measure. They're not capable the same way a gold fish is not capable. They act on instincts
Ha! My dog is definitely NOT a dumb animal. He's quite intelligent. You can see the wheels turning while he investigates things and is a problem solver.

He knows guilt. He knows happiness. He knows sadness.

Clearly, you've never had a dog in your life.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:56 PM

879 posts, read 873,747 times
I am so paranoid of anything happening to my dogs that they're never off leash outside unless it's a fenced in area like a dog park or my backyard. Even then I don't let them stay in the backyard more than 5-10 minutes without me. I think if you let your dogs wander off leash you're taking an unnecessary risk of them being hit by a car, stolen, getting distracted and running after something, or potentially coming up on a dog that is aggressive towards other dogs. I know dogs need exercise, mine get 2-3 miles of walks per day (it's been a bit less now because of the cold, but still) and for awhile I was running with them. They go to the dog park for doggy off leash interaction. Plus if I see a dog wandering off leash I assume he escaped from his owner's house and then I want to help get him home, but I've had people get annoyed with me for that as if I stuck my nose in where it didn't belong or something...sorry I didn't realize you let your dogs roam free...if it were my dogs that were wandering loose I would want someone to call me to pick them up because it means they got out!!

Having said that, I do think the OP has a fear of dogs based on the language of his posts (monsters, domesticated wolves with sharp teeth, saying jekyl and hyde are common with dogs--which is ridiculous to paint all dogs with that brush, predators, dog bite epidemic, etc) oh and stating it's common that dogs off leash bite people is an exaggeration. I've never been bitten by a dog I saw off leash (most dogs off leash in my neighborhood are fence jumpers/slipped their collars) or by one of the scary aggressive dog breeds.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:59 PM

879 posts, read 873,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post

Ha! My dog is definitely NOT a dumb animal. He's quite intelligent. You can see the wheels turning while he investigates things and is a problem solver.

He knows guilt. He knows happiness. He knows sadness.

Clearly, you've never had a dog in your life.
Does your dog pretend like he doesn't know what's going on sometimes? Like selective smartness? But really he's just being a conniving little jerkbutt and he's plotting something...mine do that

Old 01-15-2015, 06:46 AM

4,859 posts, read 3,711,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind spot View Post
Does your dog pretend like he doesn't know what's going on sometimes? Like selective smartness? But really he's just being a conniving little jerkbutt and he's plotting something...mine do that
Oh yes!! "What cat food can? I don't know nothing 'bout no cat food can. Oh...you mean the one under my bed? Licked clean? That you just opened for the cats right before you stepped into the bathroom for a minute? Nope...have no idea how it got there. Nor the soup can that you had put in the recycling bag....nor the tin foil that had been under the bacon (dang...I thought I had buried that really well under my bed...hmmmm ... will work harder on that next time...). Now...about my treat ....hey, a squirrel! Look! Did you see me prance so delightfully cute over to the window to show you the squirrel?! Aren't I just adorable?! Huh? WHY do you keep ranting about cat food to me? You KNOW I like cat food in any form....pre-eaten or not! Hey...how about a walk?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or