U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 12:41 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,453,691 times

Advertisements

This is unusual but the usual stuff where owners leave their dogs completely unattended and later claim they are very friendly is the biggest BS I see everyday. I was playing with my 3 year old daughter in backyard when two large dog came running and she was so scared that 2 years later it is still there. When ladies realized something was happening they shouted from there "They are very friendly". If you want a pet keep it with you and under control at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 12:43 PM

2,413 posts, read 1,809,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Ha! My dog is definitely NOT a dumb animal. He's quite intelligent. You can see the wheels turning while he investigates things and is a problem solver.

He knows guilt. He knows happiness. He knows sadness.

I once heard that a dog can actually learn words/vocabulary equivalent to a 5 year old child. Of course, they can't talk back but they can understand that many words. Amazing!

And to further prove dogs are intelligent AND have emotions, I highly recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Dogs-Love-.../dp/0544114515

Old 01-15-2015, 02:03 PM

20,885 posts, read 22,467,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Minervah, unfortunately one of the poisonings was in a very small town where one neighbor just got on another's bad side, and the poisoning was very personal. I think I heard something about the Portland poisonings. I thought Portland was a pretty dog friendly place.
Portland is just as friendly a city to dogs as any other but all it takes is just one sicko to do something like this. This was in the city itself and it wasn't any vendetta against just one person because it involved more than one dog park.

Veterinarians were reporting the same type of poisonings of dogs from several dog parks.Animal abuse can happen anywhere. Something like this is probably rare but at least if the owner is with the dog they can watch to see the dog isn't harmed.

Regarding people's reactions to the dog on the bus, they showed this on our local news. It was cute and all but I can't help thinking of my mom who was very afraid of dogs. She would have been terrified to see a dog all by itself board a bus and if an unattended dog sat next to her I think she would have passed out. Fears are irrational and especially when you come across something in what you think is a safe place, it makes it all the more frightening.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:12 PM

2,980 posts, read 3,769,408 times
It gets weirder. No dogs on Vancouver buses and in Calgary all the welfare jamtarts were getting on their buses with kids and pitbulls. I'd suspect that's going to stop pretty soon. If they did allow dogs on Vancouver, BC buses they'd all be 15,000 Paris Hilton Peekinese anyway. In Victoria? Golden Labradors. If you don't have a lab when move to Victoria, one will be provided for you.

In Seattle it's a lab; prepare to be slobbered to death. Probably the bus driver knows the dog.

Last edited by thedwightguy; 01-15-2015 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: add comment

Old 01-15-2015, 02:39 PM

10,415 posts, read 7,495,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
So the verdict is in....NO LEASH LAWS. Right? And letting your dog roam is A-OK.

There's a dog bite epidemic. But hey let's have no leash laws or responsibility for our domesticated wolves. I'm sure the people on here would be blaming the human victim if someone got attacked.

You letting a dog run loose has an effect on others. Period. It's simply a matter of HUMAN DOG OWNER'S not caring about anyone but themselves. I don't think people get it. It's not about THE DOG. It's an animal. It's about the HUMAN OWNER letting it run loose.
To take it a step further, if no one has, yet. There are people who are deathly afraid of dogs. It's definitely not fair to them.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:46 PM

11,700 posts, read 2,092,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
To take it a step further, if no one has, yet. There are people who are deathly afraid of dogs. It's definitely not fair to them.
As was I, and I changed that. I simply learned to be more in control of my relationships with dogs. Now, alas, if I could accomplish the same thing with spiders!

I admit that if I were in the wild and encountered a large canine, I'd be terrified. I don't walk through those parts of town where dogs are more likely to be trained to kill.

Last edited by vkhmini; 01-15-2015 at 04:03 PM..

Old 01-15-2015, 03:50 PM

21,465 posts, read 18,167,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Oh yes!! "What cat food can? I don't know nothing 'bout no cat food can. Oh...you mean the one under my bed? Licked clean? That you just opened for the cats right before you stepped into the bathroom for a minute? Nope...have no idea how it got there. Nor the soup can that you had put in the recycling bag....nor the tin foil that had been under the bacon (dang...I thought I had buried that really well under my bed...hmmmm ... will work harder on that next time...). Now...about my treat ....hey, a squirrel! Look! Did you see me prance so delightfully cute over to the window to show you the squirrel?! Aren't I just adorable?! Huh? WHY do you keep ranting about cat food to me? You KNOW I like cat food in any form....pre-eaten or not! Hey...how about a walk?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Can't rep you again, but ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!
Ditto...ROFLMAO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
This is very true also. ^^^^^

Old 01-15-2015, 04:56 PM

6,317 posts, read 4,446,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
As well it should be! Its a DOG... What's next? Will we be sitting next to a cocker spaniel on a plane? Or a cat in the movie theatre?

That would be awesome! I would love to live in a world like that!

Old 01-15-2015, 05:43 PM

17,324 posts, read 14,850,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
This ^^^^ My first thought was what a friendly dog, I hope no one steals her or does something else horrible. Her owner is totally irresponsible in my book.
They knew the dog, the driver knew the dog. The people at the dog park he went to on the bus knew the dog. No one would have let him get stolen. Per the article, the owner and dog rode the same bus together every day, he was well known. One day the dog was out there waiting for the bus and his owner didn't come out on time, when the driver opened the door the dog hopped on. The driver, who again knew the dog, laughed and let him on and rode him to the dog park, to the delight of all aboard. A dog park again, that he went to every day with his owner and so was well known by the other regulars there.

This was not dog let loose in the big city to navigate the transportation system alone and roaming the streets unleashed. The driver let him off at the dog park, where not only is it rare to see leashed dogs, it is usually against the rules (when some are leashed and some not, it tends to make them feel aggressive toward each other and can cause attacks and fights) There is no reason to think the owner didn't come right behind him anyway. You guys are truly making too much of this IMO.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 01-15-2015 at 05:56 PM..

Old 01-15-2015, 05:58 PM

8,847 posts, read 8,182,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Oh no, I get what many of the posters mean. MANY have specifically stated that people are terrible and dogs are better and more valuable. You know this.
I'd rather sit next to Eclipse on the bus than you, Mike.

Last edited by jay5835; 01-15-2015 at 06:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or