U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 05:56 AM

5,644 posts, read 4,898,120 times

Advertisements

Dog bite epidemic? Racial profiling for dogs (by the way, one of the story dog's parents was not part of the list of excessive biter breeds you cited)?

On an anecdotal note, I've been around so many dogs all my life and never been bitten, am I an outlier? (And on an even further side note, I've been around primates all my life and been threatened and attacked by them, and had various property vandalized and stolen by them, and every day I read about the terrible things they do to each other and to many other species -- including committing mass genocide and terraforming roughly half of the earth's landmass to produce their food).

Mike, did you have any reactions to the story about the Moscow subway riders?

This system seems to be working for the people and dog in the OP story. Despite that dog's questionable racial heritage (as you pointed out), he seems to be a non-violent fellow. Let it be.

(I generally agree most dogs who have adoptive human parents ought to be leashed most of the time (as Todd mentioned, many times more for the dog's protection), but if there are a few exceptions that the community seems fine with, let it be.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 06:20 AM

17,205 posts, read 14,805,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
It's not about this specific dog. It's about everyone else who owns a dog and the way they pay no attention to leash laws and this is a prime example of it. Any dog can potentially bite. Get real. Put your dog on a leash unless in a dog park and don't let them run loose without you around.

The media is encouraging letting your dog run loose...oh and every pitbull/rottie/mastiff ect before they attack looks so sweet and loving. The famous...."he was always such a sweet dog". They're like a gun waiting to go off. Give me a break. Jekyl and hyde is common with dogs.

I''d sue the ass of the bus company and the owner if a loose dog on bus attacked me. And I'd have every right to.
This is a dog who learned to do something exceptional, it actually is about this specific dog. This IMO is not anything close to an example of people ignoring leash laws anymore than a performer swallowing fire on a street corner is an example of people who ignore public smoking laws. It's highly novel, and people get a kick out of it.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 01-14-2015 at 07:15 AM..

Old 01-14-2015, 06:24 AM

2,600 posts, read 536,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
I live in Seattle and OF COURSE dogs are allowed to ride the bus. They are required to be caged or leashed, however, as legally all dogs in public places are required to be, but in the end I guess it is up to the bus driver or other authority figure to judge if the dog is being a nuisance or not. The bus driver may also require the dog and the owner to exit the bus if the dog is causing a problem (obviously this dog was not).

Seattle is extremely dog friendly. I work in an office and there are many dogs running around on my floor all day. Most people do not drive to my work (I work downtown, parking is difficult), so I am sure many of those dogs ride the bus to work too.

And yes, this story is true. That dog park is just two blocks over my work and I sometimes ride that bus to work and have seen dogs on the bus (not sure if I have seen that one).
Regarding the "of Course" which I bolded, most cities only allow service dogs on the bus or train. Small caged animals that can fit on the lap are allowed in my city (Atlanta).

As a funny/sad aside about people designating their dogs as "service dogs" just so they could take them places: I knew a woman who wanted her dog to go places where it wasn't allowed. She got him a service dog jacket and instantly he was a service dog who could detect that her blood sugar was getting low! (I think some dogs CAN do this, but not this one and the woman didn't have much of a problem.)

Old 01-14-2015, 06:31 AM

2,600 posts, read 536,851 times
Okay, then. Another example of why you can't believe everything you read on the Internet. From the King County Transit website:

Dogs & Other Pets

Dogs may ride at the discretion of the operator under these guidelines:
  • Drivers may refuse to transport a person and their dog if they already have another dog onboard.
  • Drivers may refuse to transport a dog if it is creating a hazard or disturbance.
  • Drivers may request the removal of a dog from the coach if it creates a hazard or disturbance.
  • All dogs that are not service animals must be on leash.
  • Dogs are not allowed to occupy seats; they must remain either on the floor or sit on their owners lap.
  • Small dogs who remain on their owner's lap ride for free. All other dogs pay the base fare (or reduced fare) paid by the customer accompanying the dog. No zone fare is charged and transfers are to be issued upon request.
Animals on the Bus - How to Ride Metro - King County Metro Transit

So---this dog is allowed on without its person, without a leash, and its own seat on the bus???? And since it is not on its owner's lap, it's allowed to ride all the time for free when it says they are actually charged a fare? What a freeloader!

Old 01-14-2015, 06:36 AM

9,285 posts, read 16,120,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
So the verdict is in....NO LEASH LAWS. Right? And letting your dog roam is A-OK.

There's a dog bite epidemic. But hey let's have no leash laws or responsibility for our domesticated wolves. I'm sure the people on here would be blaming the human victim if someone got attacked.

You letting a dog run loose has an effect on others. Period. It's simply a matter of HUMAN DOG OWNER'S not caring about anyone but themselves. I don't think people get it. It's not about THE DOG. It's an animal. It's about the HUMAN OWNER letting it run loose.

sorry Mr. Lizard.... your attempts at inflaming public outrage over this story have failed miserably and I second the motion that you get help for your obsessive fear of dogs and dog bites......

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Your cat needed that valium because she knew she was going to St.Louis, probably read about the high crime rate here.
LOL .... and yet, I have managed to live here for 28 years without one single criminal act directed at me or my things......

Old 01-14-2015, 07:46 AM

4,859 posts, read 3,711,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Have you ever done so on an airplane? I have. I would ban this in an instant if I had the power to do so. The plane hadn't even taken off and the cat started howling and voiding. It didn't stop until the plane landed three hours later, the entire area reeking of cat feces and urine.
Or a kid who cries and fusses cuz his ears hurt and creates stinky diapers.....

It's really a push.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Yes, the cat will probably be at the theatre watching that movie "The Birds".
Or "An American Tail". Or the musical "Cats". Or "Mouse Hunt". Or "Stuart Little". There are a lot of good choices!

I have a cat in real life who watches hockey. She sits on the table that the TV sits on and watches the players skate back and forth, batting at them once in a while. I think she's really cute, but it frustrates my son when he is trying to watch the game!

Old 01-14-2015, 07:59 AM

11,677 posts, read 2,088,849 times
OP, I'd be interested in knowing if you've had a traumatic experience of being injured by a dog, please.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:01 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,211,948 times
I think this is a cool story. I don't have a problem with it; that dog is awesome. It's absurd to apply a hivemind mentality to dogs (or cats, etc.).

If the dog was being disruptive than the bus company would have cracked down on this already. But the dog was behaving, therefore no big deal, let it be. Not all rules are meant to be enforced with an unyielding iron fist. Judgment calls are acceptable sometimes.

mikelizard860, you strike me as the type of person who would be a drag and a bore at a party. Lighten up, man.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:39 AM

2,572 posts, read 1,042,014 times
When I was in college I used to take my dog with me ( a large mixed breed very friendly guy). When I would go to class I would let him run free. One day I went to talk to a teacher on the fifth floor of a building and I left Nico outside. About 15 minutes later the dog came running up to me on the 5th floor. Apparently the dog smelled where I got on the elevator, smelled which floor I got out on and found me.
So there could have been a story about a dog riding the elevator alone.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:44 AM

3,395 posts, read 3,205,734 times
When I was growing up, my family took in a stray that absolutely refused to go on a leash. He was about 80 lbs and would just freeze up like a statue if you put a leash on him. It was pretty pointless. (We later learned he had been beaten by a previous owner with a leash).

Our dog would roam the whole town. EVERYBODY knew him by name. He knew to cross busy intersections with the green light. He stayed on the sidewalk. He was the tamest dog I ever met, didn't even bark (I think it was beat out of him ). He followed me to school every day and was greeted by the kids on the playground like a celebrity.

One day, someone called the Dog Pound on him. They showed up and said, "Oh I know this dog! This is Ike, I'm not locking him up!" lol

OP: Some dogs really can be trusted without a leash. Really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or