Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 08:02 PM

170 posts, read 133,919 times

Advertisements

A good deed saved a cop's life. It's good to see that a human being could recognized when someone needed medical attention and responded immediately. Garner shouting, "I can't breathe" had no effect on the thugs and EMTs.

After being hailed as hero for helping save officer's life, teen says he hopes life's path has changed for better - Sun Sentinel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 08:16 PM

240 posts, read 252,393 times
Hero? Naw. He's black, so everybody is over-playing it. But I agree with you on the Garner thing. It was manslaughter. Charges should have been filed.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:34 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
Calling this man a 'hero' is really pushing it in my opinion. It is hard for me to imagine that ANYONE would see the officer (or anyone else) fall to the floor and not call for help. I would call this common decency.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:33 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Calling this man a 'hero' is really pushing it in my opinion. It is hard for me to imagine that ANYONE would see the officer (or anyone else) fall to the floor and not call for help. I would call this common decency.
Common decency is something many arrested don't have. Those that hate cops, gangster thugs and the like, I could see them doing nothing at all, maybe laughing and saying it's not their problem or up to them to do anything.

As far as common decency today look at the number of people that did nothing when that old man was struck by the car in Hartford, CT a few years ago. Or how about the girl that fell onto the subway tracks in NYC and only one guy took action to get her off the tracks. Plenty were snapping photos though. Or how about the awful car fire in Texas where people were literally burning alive and a frantic off duty cop couldn't get any help or even people to move back while shooting their videos. Do you remember that? Not everyone cares or comes to the aid of their fellow man. Common decency like common sense is not so common anymore.

If this kid had done nothing, the officer could have died, so it was because of his actions the cop received prompt attention. But call it what you will.

Ks5692, This would have been news if it had been a troublesome white kid and a white cop instead of a black kid and a black cop. So just stop.

Personally, I'm glad to see the officer is OK and I hope the kid does make a fresh start.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:13 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Common decency is something many arrested don't have. Those that hate cops, gangster thugs and the like, I could see them doing nothing at all, maybe laughing and saying it's not their problem or up to them to do anything.

As far as common decency today look at the number of people that did nothing when that old man was struck by the car in Hartford, CT a few years ago. Or how about the girl that fell onto the subway tracks in NYC and only one guy took action to get her off the tracks. Plenty were snapping photos though. Or how about the awful car fire in Texas where people were literally burning alive and a frantic off duty cop couldn't get any help or even people to move back while shooting their videos. Do you remember that? Not everyone cares or comes to the aid of their fellow man. Common decency like common sense is not so common anymore.

If this kid had done nothing, the officer could have died, so it was because of his actions the cop received prompt attention. But call it what you will.

Ks5692, This would have been news if it had been a troublesome white kid and a white cop instead of a black kid and a black cop. So just stop.

Personally, I'm glad to see the officer is OK and I hope the kid does make a fresh start.
I agree. Many people have the mentality of "Someone else will help", sit back & start taping with their phone or ignoring. Glad this guy alerted others to what was going on, he could've just sat there & done nothing. I'm sure there are those out there who would've done exactly that, nothing.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:24 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Nice to see a news story where people behave decently like the vast majority do.

Much better than trying to turn every story into some salacious racial conflict.

Sometimes people just make bad or good decisions, going back and quarterbacking intent because they were different races can be a pretty evil act.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:01 PM

741 posts, read 915,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
We don't have 'fresh starts' in this country.
Records are basically forever. We allow for no possibility that someone who has ever broken any law at any time is worthy as a human being, ever, for any reason. Housing, employment, all will be mostly unavailable to him. As someone with a record, he is a permanent outcast from the mainstream.

"Yeah, well, he should've thought about that before he..."

A) Broke the law.

B) Rescued the cop.

Thank you for your service!!

Old 01-15-2015, 02:23 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
We don't have 'fresh starts' in this country.
Records are basically forever. We allow for no possibility that someone who has ever broken any law at any time is worthy as a human being, ever, for any reason. Housing, employment, all will be mostly unavailable to him. As someone with a record, he is a permanent outcast from the mainstream.

"Yeah, well, he should've thought about that before he..."

A) Broke the law.

B) Rescued the cop.

Thank you for your service!!
But he's 17 so his record wouldn't be open to the public, as a juvenile. He was arrested for juvenile probation violation, other than that I don't know what he did to get that probation.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:35 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Is it me or does it seem that the cops were moving pretty damn slow as if they didn't believe the kid?

Old 01-15-2015, 04:12 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
1. I saw the video.....kid waits 20 seconds before doing anything
2. Kid has been arrested multiple times since the Sept incident (newspaper was late to pick up the story)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events