U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 03:40 PM

210 posts, read 395,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo2705 View Post
Best Buy is putting RS out of business, and is a much nicer shopping experience in my opinion!
QFT! I can't get squat for PC parts in Radio Shack, except for Arctic Silver 5 and some fans.

The Springfield, Vermont Radio Shack has been a goner, at least since 2012, IIRC!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 03:56 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,603,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
This is the best example of what Jack Welch did to GE. If it wasn't #1 or #2 in their respective industry, he sold it off. That is how he pared GE from 400k to 300k employees in the space of 6 years or less.

Oh yeah, he was loved by the stockholders at the time, but long term he did more damage than the people at GE still don't understand.
During the financial crisis, a lot of the business shows would parade around all these top wealthy guys. Welch was on one of these shows, and he was going on and on about creating consumers. I think it had to do with GE and creating new consumers...in America? No...creating new consumers in China. China, China, China.

It was the way he said it: "consuuuuuuumers" in his typical voice. The image that came to mind was of a greedy pig-faced guy with a black top hat and a cane, with money in clenched fists, saying "consuuuuuuuuuuuuumers" as he whips through companies with cost-cutting measures.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:31 PM

20,900 posts, read 22,740,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Wow, not one person in their corporate leadership has any electronic background. They all came from retail like Walgreens, JC Penney's, Sporting goods stores, etc.
Once Bernard Appel was gone, the company spiraled downward at that point.

Untitled Document

Old 01-25-2015, 01:31 PM

41,505 posts, read 49,634,310 times
RIP Radio Shack Killed by management for management's sake.

How do these guy ever get hired again? The would screw up being a receipt checker at a big box.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:45 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,471,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
That's exactly why RatShack is going bankrupt. They have abandoned their core customers, electronics hobbyists.

Instead, they are trying to sell cell phones and bluetooth units, in competition with everyone from Walmart to Best Buy to truckstops.
I don't think they would have survived just by appealing to the guy buying circuit boards, either. They needed to modernize and expand their horizons -- they got that part right.

What they got wrong was believing that they could compete with electronics manufacturers by selling electronics. Each store was like a fraction of the size of any of their competitors, so they simply didn't have the wall or the storage space to compete on volume & price.

What they *could* have done was to be a service/specialty products type operation. They could have focused more on installations and developed strategic business relationships with manufacturers that way. I don't think they were off base by selling mobile phones - they did a nice job with that from what I can recall. And there were customers who would specifically seek us out over Circuit City, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy for that reason. Problem was, Radio Shack didn't know what it wanted to be, but it knew it didn't want to pay its employees anything other than to be in-store stooges. Not a good combo.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:07 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,660,274 times
I worked for RS during my college years. I sold CB Radios, TV antennas, 8 tracks and cassettes, Realistic audio equipment, and of course batteries and parts. I worked there when the TRS-80 was introduced. I have a soft spot for Radio Shack and this makes me sad. I am a hobbyist and it is dang near impossible to buy small parts locally now.

I think RS could not have succeeded. The world of electronics has passed them by. They couldn't pay their electric bill for a store selling parts. There aren't enough hobbyists like me. The stores are too small to sell TVs and audio equipment. A RS store is no bigger than a Verizon or AT&T store but RS can't stand out with mobile phones when the carriers control the monthly plans and the phones are bundled.

Maybe they could have turned into a real Geek Squad, reasonably priced and capable of quality work (which Best Buy can't).

Old 01-25-2015, 09:59 PM

20,900 posts, read 22,740,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post

What they *could* have done was to be a service/specialty products type operation. They could have focused more on installations and developed strategic business relationships with manufacturers that way. I don't think they were off base by selling mobile phones - they did a nice job with that from what I can recall. And there were customers who would specifically seek us out over Circuit City, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy for that reason. Problem was, Radio Shack didn't know what it wanted to be, but it knew it didn't want to pay its employees anything other than to be in-store stooges. Not a good combo.
Actually, depending on the District, they had stores that were Business centered and not Retail consumer centered.

If anyone in this thread is from NYC and worked in the WTC, the Radio Shack in the sub level was Business oriented. It sold a large assortment of networking merchandise and high end Business related machines. Its storefront was small, but it's backroom was a few doors down and it more than 10 times the size of the store. Tandy had TRSDOS and it's own GUI (Deskmate). Tandy started losing ground because they wanted to hold onto their high margins, while other companies entered the market undercutting them and selling units with low margin emphasizing on quantity. Tandy basically cut itself off by no longer being a technology leader and not dropping their margins in order to be competitive by the time Win95 came out.

Tandy/Radio Shack held out pretty well upwards of the 1990s before Circuit City, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy ever came into existence as a electronics player.The retailers that came and went were Compuadd, Crazy Eddie, Olson, The Wiz, and a few others. Tandy/Radio Shack gobbled up numerous companies due its strategy. In the end it's what you said that Radio Shack didn't know what it wanted to be and really has no niche now that it fits in.

The end of Tandy/Radio Shack is coming. The question is when as they sell off parts of itself to stay afloat.

Personally I think Best Buy and HHgregg are also coming to the end of their roads, especially if Fry's has a major growth spurt.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:25 PM

2,579 posts, read 3,679,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
They should focus on really niche stuff that could still turn a profit (which is a bit of an oxymoron). I'm thinking stuff like Ham Radios, Raspberry Pi type equipment, and maybe even drones or something.

Free publicity for Radio Shack Maybe a drone store is not that far out there!

White House drone crash prompts Obama call for new laws - San Jose Mercury News

Old 01-29-2015, 05:36 PM

259 posts, read 247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westom View Post
I understand Fry's was a grocery store that started selling electronics parts. Then upgraded to electronics appliances as the market changed.
That's not accurate actually. Fry's Electronics was started with Fry family $$ - but not at all related to the grocery chain which was sold.

The first Fry's Electronics was right down the street from my business in Sunnyvale at the time, and it was pure geek. Maybe geek food was later introduced, but not the other way around But definitely Fry's Electronics continued transforming itself to broaden its customer base.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:12 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,579,635 times
Why go into a store that may or may not have a particular item when it can be ordered online. So frustrating when that happens, you want to get something but the store is out of stock, can put it on order. Free markets really do work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or