U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 09:42 PM

468 posts, read 437,009 times

Advertisements

RS lost my patronage for this reason, the things I want ARE not in the store. I have to go online to get it. I don't do business on line. Putting your personal info online is just plain stupid. They will not order it for you, so you can pick it up at the store. But even if they had, I'd still be bummed at the extra trip. So now what's left HellMart and Worst Buy?
Other than that I find that the people working there are truly knowledgeable and it is a shame another American icon is butchered by the corporate idiots making six figure salaries whose only accomplishment is to run businesses into the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 09:43 PM

259 posts, read 250,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
If they became a competitive electronic parts store that sold online as well and focused more on the tech nerds, they might have a small chance!
I agree. My community has a local electronics parts store which has been around for ages. They have enough stuff to pull in people like me (sorta like the old/original Fry's) who aren't tinkerers but occasionally need parts anyway. If that store can survive where I live, many other communities could support that niche also.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:05 PM

11,210 posts, read 11,618,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Everything in my local RS is far overpriced compared to Walmart, Target, and online vendors like Amazon. I was looking for a cell phone car charger, RS wanted $20 when I could pick it up at Walmart for $9. Yes, RS used to pride itself on electronics parts for hobbyists, but really not many people do those kinds of DIY projects anymore.
The Radio Shack of my childhood was a marvelous place. The inventory was mostly WWII and Korean War surplus, and the name came from the radio shack that was built on the deck of a ship that was older than radio. My first radio was a RS kit that a 9 year old kid could afford, and by the time I was 13 I had graduated to a patch board with spring clips and banana plugs. I bought my first scientific calculator from RS in 1971, before anyone had ever seen one, nixie tubes and all.

I haven't shopped there much in years, and mostly I only bought low dollar items like telephone wire. A 20 year old Realistic AM/FM/SW is my travel alarm, and I still treasure a Realistic DX-440 that I inherited from my dad.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:10 PM

5,693 posts, read 5,951,442 times
I used to go to radio shack all the time when I was a kid, last time I went there was to get a new wireless router. When I needed to get a small radio to carry around while I walked my dogs radio shack had a no name brand for $14.99 and Kmart had a Sony for $12.99 so I got the Sony at Kmart.

To radio shack's credit they do have Grundig short wave radios there.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:48 PM

270 posts, read 363,960 times
Default Yeah, but truthfully ....

R/S was *always* overpriced, except when they put an item on sale. Smart shoppers checked the weekly sale ads though, and waited to buy their items at the sale prices.

Part of the problem, IMO, was Radio Shack getting away from carrying their own line of products and thinking it was a better move to start selling everyone else's brands instead.

Anyone remember the Minimus 7 and 77 bookshelf speakers (later renamed Optimus)? Those sounded great and were built rock solid in die cast metal enclosures. Excellent for surround speakers or a primary pair for a stereo receiver in a bedroom, dorm room, basement, or what-not. I know they sold tons of them over the years -- and that's because they were unique to Radio Shack stores.

They were also pretty much the #1 seller of weather radios, in years past. If someone had a weather radio, chances are it came from Radio Shack. And of course, they were one of the leading computer makers in the 80's, with the TRS-80 line.

But these days, all they have to sell you are the same cellphones you can get anywhere, the same cables and connectors everyone else has, and a random assortment of battery operated toys that won't really drive a lot of regular business.

I mean, I needed a simple timer, a few months ago, to turn an outdoor bug zapper on and off in the evening hours. I thought of Radio Shack, until I learned the only timers they sold were poorly rated for breaking in a matter of weeks or months. I did better at Lowes with a higher rated alternative. R/S could still stand on their own selling small electronics goods like timers, but at least they need to offer superior quality ones -- not junk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Everything in my local RS is far overpriced compared to Walmart, Target, and online vendors like Amazon. I was looking for a cell phone car charger, RS wanted $20 when I could pick it up at Walmart for $9. Yes, RS used to pride itself on electronics parts for hobbyists, but really not many people do those kinds of DIY projects anymore.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:52 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,987,586 times
I was very excited when a Radio Shack opened at a local mall in the early 1960's. I went there with my saved allowance. I bought a meter, for around $5 or so. It was a combination volt/ohm/amp meter, for AC and DC. At home, I plugged the red and black things into the electrical outlet, to verify it was really 120 volts. That kind of stuff made me very happy, and I was a huge fan of Radio Shack.

But I grew up, and stopped spending my allowance there. That made them very sad, and now they're dying. And it's all my fault, for not being faithful to them. One of the places that made me happiest, and I abandoned them like the world's worst ingrate.

Oh, well. We can't all be perfect.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:08 PM

11,541 posts, read 14,120,459 times
No surprise.

I first shopped at an RS in the early 80's. They gave away gifts (remember the free flashlights and free batteries?) and kept up with the times, back then.

These days, RS is a joke, out of touch with the times and the market.

When you cannot sell to your market, your business will perish. It was only a matter of time.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:28 PM

15,505 posts, read 15,441,105 times
RS has really not found a niche that they can exploit.

They sell all of the things that big-box does....and usually at a higher prices.

When they stopped being a REAL, component-level, electronics-store, well, game-over. The kits and educational courses that RS offers are not too hot and better can be ordered online for a competitive price.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:41 PM

6,704 posts, read 11,989,217 times
I heard RS was having serious problems a year ago. So I'm surprised they lasted this long. Pretty soon we may have no where to shop but Walmart. Just this week. I have heard Sears, Penny's, Macy's, Dillards are closing numerous stores, and just today that all 133 Targets in Canada must close immediately. Liquidate all stores. It's just a matter of time before Target in this country will be closing stores also. I don't how Walmart keeps going. I really don't care for the store.

So good bye to Radio Shack I guess. They certainly have been around for many decades. Can't say I remember the last time I was in one.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:57 AM

5,368 posts, read 5,766,271 times
this company is the definition of a company that failed to adapt and evolve as time went on and technological advances came forward
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or