U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 11:43 AM

6,777 posts, read 6,864,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Target Canada will pay 70 Million dollars, to their Canadian employees, which will be equal to 16 weeks of wages, plus the employees will be eligible to apply for Employment Insurance, from the Canadian Federal Government, if they have worked the required number of hours in the past six months. EI in Canada pays up to 60 percent of the worker's gross weekly salary, to a weekly maximum of $560. Target employees were being paid from $11 to $14 an hour, depending on which Province they live in. 16 weeks at 11 an hour, works out to a severance off about $4800, to the average Target Canada employee less their normal tax and Canada Pension deductions. At that rate of pay, the individual's tax rate is about 22 percent of their gross wage.

The EI program is a national program that covers ALL Canadian workers. It has provisions that allow for a person to move to another part of Canada, to find work. The costs of moving are considered to be a income tax deduction, as are retraining programs, that the EI system provides. We want our citizens and new Immigrants to be as well educated and skilled, as possible.

The Target Canada funds are held in a trust account, that is managed by a independent third party law firm.

link. to the news article, today.

Target tries to soften blow with unprecedented employee fund - The Globe and Mail

When I said that Canada IS a separate and different country, from the USA, this is what I meant. We try very hard to make things as good as we can, for our citizens.

As for the idea that education is "wasted on minorities "? I bet that the person who
wrote that would have a very DIFFERENT point of view if he was WAS a Minority !!

The level of ignorance from some Americans amazes me. Thankfully , I know that he doesn't represent any significant percentage of your population. Does he ?

Jim B. In Toronto.
No, absolutely not! As another poster commented recently, it would't be City-data if the racism weren't so thick you could cut it with a chainsaw.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 11:53 AM

3,018 posts, read 5,098,072 times
I made a 32% gain on TGT stock when I sold my shares 3 weeks ago.

I bought in when they got hacked, sold before this news was announced.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:16 PM

1,766 posts, read 2,006,553 times
Atta boy ChiGuy.............Don't get mad get even or profit! Right on TGT>

Old 01-16-2015, 12:27 PM

23,618 posts, read 31,198,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Here is where they goofed. Prices in the Canadian Target stores were NOT competitive with the Canadian Walmart, or Home Depot, or other retail chains. Canadians who had been down to the US, and had shopped at US Target stores, were completely dismayed by the prices at the Canadian Target stores. NOT competitive at all, when compared to OTHER Canadian based stores. Not even close.
In my area, Target isn't competitive anymore with other lower-priced retailers.

I've found that almost everything I buy at Target can be had cheaper (sometimes much cheaper) at another store. Even my local grocery store is cheaper for a lot of things excluding beauty products, OTC medication, etc.

The quality of Target's clothing and shoes was never great, but it's gone down the crapper big-time in the last few years. I don't buy clothes there anymore; I buy them at JC Penney where I can get them for the same price or sometimes even less if I have a coupon. The quality is orders of magnitude better. Even Wal-Mart's clothes are better than Target's at this point.

Target also has unfriendly price-matching policies. They know full well what Wal-Mart and other retailers charge and their prices vary from store to store, so obviously somebody is deciding how much everything costs. Unlike Wal-Mart which has a "savings catcher" app (that actually works) and other traditional grocery stores where you can price-match at the register, Target forces you to schlep over to Guest Services. It's a huge pain.

They have supply chain problems in the US, too. I've seen entire sections bare in Target on a fairly regular basis. They're not just cleaning the freezers or fridge cases, either. They're just OUT of stuff. Their produce is absurdly expensive (and low-quality), their grocery items are not competitive, their pharmacy is slow and not priced competitively...even pet food isn't priced competitively.

And don't even get me started on their scanner errors. Their scanners frequently don't pick up the sale price of an item, or miss a "free gift card" promo that is advertised plain as day in the latest store circular. In order to get that fixed, you have to be "that person" and hold up the line while the hapless employee calls a manager over to A.) Price check to make sure you're not a SCAMMER and B.) Fix the problem. In the meantime, everyone behind you is staring daggers at you. There aren't any other open lanes for them to go to because Target insists on running FAR too lean staff-wise.

Basically...Target WORKS at sucking. They are making an effort to suck.

I'm pretty much done with that place at this point. Canada's better off without it I'm sure.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:52 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,939,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
We love our superTarget and do find grocery items very competitive. We avoid our local superWalmart as it needs to be bulldozed and re-built. Just not clean and taken care of....vs the Target we have is very clean and folks very nice and helpful. All comes down to local managers.
I thought it was just the Walmart in my area that was filthy. I actually stopped going there a long time ago because it was such a mess and when I complained the manager's excuse was they were "going to remodel." Well, they remodeled. Put in all new flooring at least. When a friend of mine told me the remodel was finally finished I went back there. The floor was as dirty as ever. I guess they buy mottled gray tile for a reason.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:29 PM

24,843 posts, read 31,283,023 times
Target store at Bay City Mall slated for closure; joins Sears in leaving shopping center | MLive.com

One of our local Target Stores will be closing.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:20 PM

484 posts, read 328,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I thought it was just the Walmart in my area that was filthy. I actually stopped going there a long time ago because it was such a mess and when I complained the manager's excuse was they were "going to remodel." Well, they remodeled. Put in all new flooring at least. When a friend of mine told me the remodel was finally finished I went back there. The floor was as dirty as ever. I guess they buy mottled gray tile for a reason.
Walmart is disgusting. Their employees are bottom of the barrel people who do whatever possible to avoid helping you, and their stores are always dirty. Walmart makes money because they don't "give a damn" and that means they can save money by not caring. Most Americans are starting to see more and more retail and restaurant companies give less and less of a ****, so we are becoming accustomed to it, especially in the south. As far as Target goes, it does seem to be a more expensive Walmart, but one that at least is cleaner and has better employees.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:24 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,095,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
Walmart is disgusting. Their employees are bottom of the barrel people who do whatever possible to avoid helping you, and their stores are always dirty. Walmart makes money because they don't "give a ****" and that means they can save money by not caring. Most Americans are starting to see more and more retail and restaurant companies give less and less of a ****, so we are becoming accustomed to it. As far as Target goes, it does seem to be a more expensive Walmart, but one that at least is cleaner and has better employees.
Yes I gladly pay a little more for a cleaner, good run store. I get many items from our local grocery store which is locally owned and pays its employees better and will help with getting items not currently carried. I will pay more, but worth it. I have a son with a food allergy and some things we can only get at our local grocery store, vs the Walmart or Target.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:40 AM

12,581 posts, read 10,453,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post

But If there is ONE thing they DID HAVE..was their carts!! The were smooth running, easy to steer ( no wonky wheels sending you off centre) ..BUT the cart wasn't enough to keep me going in there tho...Even their sales were few and far between...at least for my demand..

Oh yes!! The carts were top of the line.. Smooth running and they even looked cool Also - they do have a cool look to them - those red balls and the store design - well lit and the few I went to very very clean.

Maybe Walmart can paint those Target carts blue and take them over - finally put the current stock to bed

Old 01-19-2015, 12:23 AM

15,240 posts, read 15,250,601 times
Wow, this is crazy.......Target, all stores in Canada!

I am not actually too hot on Target. I find the selection not that great, ditto for the prices.

If you compare the inventory of Walmart and Target.....wow, not even close, Walmart wins hands down. Target is neater than Walmart.......because Walmart packs their stores with stuff, I like that!

If you want something like a decent bike at a great price.....you can go to Walmart and get a pretty nice bike for 130 bucks. Go to Target and the same thing will cost you over 200 bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events