U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 05:18 AM

3,543 posts, read 1,592,628 times

Advertisements

These laws are in place for people like my boss. I've worked, uninterrupted, since 2002. Still not missing work, but I'm hurting. I see a doctor. They tell me I'm sick. I tell my boss I need to work 8 while I concentrate on my health. He tells me to either take a 70% pay cut and keep my insurance or to leave and to decide the DAY BEFORE I'm to go into surgery. My story is an anecdote, but when I look at a 5 year list of workers comp claims, I see that EVERY SINGLE employee has been terminated.

Laws are what I get to point to and have his attorney agree to give me a severance and continue my insurance for a period of time to prevent being sued. Without laws, I'd have no recourse but to use vigilante tactics....and nobody wants that, especially the third party taxpayer that doesn't want to fund a prison surgery...right?

So guess what. If you are going to use the labor of another human being in this country, then part of the price is in making sure certain provisions are taken care of. Without laws setting a minimum floor of expectation, then the biggest miserly executive would win, investing nothing in safety, training or development. Relax, executives get paid plenty to figure out how to make it work without cheating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 05:41 AM

18,705 posts, read 13,485,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I pick have the women pay for themselves. Don't have kids if you can't afford them. There's really no excuse these days.

The cost is typically covered by insurance. For instance MetLife actually pays our employees when they are out on approved leave. Do you have any type of insurance? Anything that's employer funded or subsidized?

Old 01-16-2015, 05:53 AM

13,982 posts, read 15,980,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The cost is typically covered by insurance. For instance MetLife actually pays our employees when they are out on approved leave. Do you have any type of insurance? Anything that's employer funded or subsidized?
Yup, medical, supplemental disability. You could either look at it as being completely funded by my employer or completely funded by myself since I'm self-employed.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:21 AM

44,268 posts, read 35,818,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
These laws are in place for people like my boss. I've worked, uninterrupted, since 2002. Still not missing work, but I'm hurting. I see a doctor. They tell me I'm sick. I tell my boss I need to work 8 while I concentrate on my health. He tells me to either take a 70% pay cut and keep my insurance or to leave and to decide the DAY BEFORE I'm to go into surgery. My story is an anecdote, but when I look at a 5 year list of workers comp claims, I see that EVERY SINGLE employee has been terminated.

Laws are what I get to point to and have his attorney agree to give me a severance and continue my insurance for a period of time to prevent being sued. Without laws, I'd have no recourse but to use vigilante tactics....and nobody wants that, especially the third party taxpayer that doesn't want to fund a prison surgery...right?

So guess what. If you are going to use the labor of another human being in this country, then part of the price is in making sure certain provisions are taken care of. Without laws setting a minimum floor of expectation, then the biggest miserly executive would win, investing nothing in safety, training or development. Relax, executives get paid plenty to figure out how to make it work without cheating.
There are laws on the books that are in place to protect workers from punitive actions against them due to workers comp claims. If this is the case, those workers should file a lawsuit against the company.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
What you're talking about is short term disability - it's not a typical coverage under health insurance plans, and it is fairly expensive.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I pick have the women pay for themselves. Don't have kids if you can't afford them. There's really no excuse these days.
I can argue both sides of this argument, both with great passion.

On the one hand, women don't get pregnant and become parents by themselves.

On the other hand, if you give women six weeks of paid leave after having a baby, then it's only fair that new fathers get the same amount of leave - and adoptive parents too.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What you're talking about is short term disability - it's not a typical coverage under health insurance plans, and it is fairly expensive.

It's covered under short term disability plans and I never said it was covered under health insurance. Health insurance and other benefits are often covered or subsidized by the employer. My questioning is around benefits employers offer and if you have problem with one you should have a problem with all of them all. Free parking, 401k match and I could go on and on

Old 01-16-2015, 06:35 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,610,136 times
When my wife had our first child, her job paid her 60% of her pay while she was out on maternity leave, and she had to take either 5 or 7 days of her own time before that kicked in. We're expecting our second child in July, and she's at a new job but believes the protocol is the same as it's technically short term disability she's going to be on. So while this is certainly good news for us, I don't necessarily disagree with the 60% short term pay for the 6-8 weeks she'll be out of work. However having her full pay while on leave is definitely great news, so we're both hoping this gets pushed through. Also I need to add that she gets 6 weeks leave for vaginal birth and 8 weeks for C-section, which is what happened with our first child after he decided to scare us by playing with his umbilical cord and dropping his hear because causing an emergency C-section, the little arse!!

Now we just need to have some movement on paid paternity leave and we'll be making progress. Right now I have to save up vacation time throughout the year to take off for the birth of a child, which kinda sucks for me since I'd ideally like to take 2 weeks off, but I don't want to be strapped the rest of the year leading up to that time and have to really buckle down on PTO I take. I get 5 weeks, with quarterly distributions of 50 hours, and we're not allowed to borrow time we haven't accrued yet which IMHO is pretty lame. It'd be nice if the fathers were taken in to consideration since, you know, it is OUR kid as well and we kind of have a stake in the situation. All I really want is 2 paid weeks of leave after I use 1 week of my own time. Give me that and I'll consider that quite fair and I'll be happy

Last edited by OverTaxedInNY; 01-16-2015 at 06:59 AM..

Old 01-16-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I can argue both sides of this argument, both with great passion.

On the one hand, women don't get pregnant and become parents by themselves.

On the other hand, if you give women six weeks of paid leave after having a baby, then it's only fair that new fathers get the same amount of leave - and adoptive parents too.
My company offers leave for adoptive parents and fathers and since we offer 16 weeks paid to women we will allow a father to take the same amount of time minus any paid time the female who birthed the child gets.

Outside of that it's not a medically necessary event so if it's not covered under paid leave I have zero problem with that. We don't give women time off for testicular cancer

Old 01-16-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
It's covered under short term disability plans and I never said it was covered under health insurance. Health insurance and other benefits are often covered or subsidized by the employer. My questioning is around benefits employers offer and if you have problem with one you should have a problem with all of them all. Free parking, 401k match and I could go on and on
I didn't say you claimed it was generally part of a health insurance plan. I was simply clarifying that it is an additional form of insurance and that it's generally pretty expensive - and to further clarify, it's generally out of the WORKERS' pocket, not the company's coffers.

And there's a fundamental difference between mandated paid maternity leave and the other benefits you listed. The other benefits are optional with companies. The discussion is making such paid leave for new parents the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events