U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 10:05 AM

21,070 posts, read 15,263,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This post makes no sense whatsoever. First of all, illness doesn't happen on a schedule. When else would you call in sick except at the last minute? Duh.

Secondly, managers with half a brain can usually figure out what to do on the fly when one of their workers is sick.

And thirdly, do you really want to be working with someone who has the flu, etc.? If one worker comes in to work when sick, chances are that illness will spread.

Nevermind that when you're sick, you're really not doing your job efficiently.

No one should have to fear losing their job if they are sick and cannot work.
^This, exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 10:07 AM

17,644 posts, read 12,253,083 times
Banking sick time, personal time, pto or vacation only work if you are allowed to carry them over year to year.

Carry over can become problematic for an employer and one that a much more wide spread issue/and service distribution than maternity leave

Old 01-16-2015, 10:14 AM

13,467 posts, read 15,078,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Thanks for providing an excellent example of why paid sick days and vacation time is good.

Yup, not that hard. Unless you're in an unusual job like I am being self employed, if you can support a family apples to donuts you have a job that provides benefits. Also why it is good to wait until mid or late 20s. Not many 16 or 20 year olds have those kinds of jobs. Gaining employable skills with childcare duties is just that much harder. Of course there is also having an employed father in the mix as well.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:15 AM

13,467 posts, read 15,078,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Banking sick time, personal time, pto or vacation only work if you are allowed to carry them over year to year.

Carry over can become problematic for an employer and one that a much more wide spread issue/and service distribution than maternity leave
Then go to option B, a savings account.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:16 AM

12,947 posts, read 24,087,672 times
Quote:
This post makes no sense whatsoever. First of all, illness doesn't happen on a schedule. When else would you call in sick except at the last minute? Duh.

Secondly, managers with half a brain can usually figure out what to do on the fly when one of their workers is sick.

And thirdly, do you really want to be working with someone who has the flu, etc.? If one worker comes in to work when sick, chances are that illness will spread.

Exactly!! The company that bought my company out does not provide sick days, not only that if you call out at the last minute they give you what is called an occurrence and after 3 of those you are written up, goes in your file. I don't have a crystal ball to tell me a month from now I'm going to be sick and need a day or two off.
Really you do not need or want sick people at work as it spreads, I don't care how careful you are.
Sick people are not productive.
Lastly, people taking over the counter meds to TRY and feel better are a hazard.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:33 AM

578 posts, read 1,067,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
How about she not have a baby until she can afford it. How about she improve her education and skills and find a job that offers paid maternity leave? How about she take some personal responsibility? How about our government stay out of the private sector?

If a woman's choice is forced maternity leave at her minimum wage job or welfare, then she needs to be sterilized after the first child.
Can't tell if sarcasm or a real reply (if a real reply, then what the?).

Maternity leave gives the woman time to bond with the baby that she either birthed or c-sectioned. Healing can take weeks depending on what happens during the birth, and it's not good for morale to force someone to come in or have someone who can't fully work.

I'm unsure why so many posters in this thread are against having children. Children become adults, replace the population and fuel the economy and help pay for those benefits like Social Security. No one's advocating for popping 19 kids.

For sick leave (non-maternity/paternity), it makes sense to require this across the board. Have a few sick days per year. We lose out of a LOT of money as a nation on employees who aren't at 100% to work, and on employees who spread infectious diseases to other workers who also either need to take leave or are also unable to work at 100%.

Yes, it may be abused. Humans abuse things, like getting soda from the fountain when you get a water cup. The overall positives of it very greatly outweigh the negatives.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:40 AM

4,793 posts, read 6,516,253 times
Quote:

If you work for a large company it likely does make no sense to you. Having owned my own business and presently working for a small employer it makes a lot of sense to me.How about when your relief calls out sick with a hangover calling it the flu and you are the only one there??

Old 01-16-2015, 10:44 AM

17,644 posts, read 12,253,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Then go to option B, a savings account.

Same thing with unemployment right?

Old 01-16-2015, 10:52 AM

5,644 posts, read 4,909,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
If you can't take a spur of the moment sick day then what's the point of having them?
I generally can't take them because I'm busy and have my hands in a lot of things. If I were actually "sick" or had to visit a physician for something (like my destroyed finger), I would use the sick day. Other employees, usually at the manager, analyst, associate, or worker bee level are much more able to take 'spur of the moment' days.

I'm still wondering if conversion to PTO for all days is meant to be 'spur of the moment' for all of them (which seems totally unworkable) or 'pre-planned' for most of them. It seems to me there's a division between 'sick' and 'vacation' for a reason.
Quote:
What would happen if you did take one and were too sick to work from home?
Well, that would be a hardship. Clients would be agitated, projects would have bumps, explanations would have to be given, and make-up work would have to be scheduled. Same as anyone I would suppose. I have colleagues who tough it out. Luckily they can usually work remotely.
Quote:
Why are your vacation days not being taken seriously?
I kind of explained it better here: Single men are being discriminated by society
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
With regard to time out of work, where I come from, there's no question circumstances matter. And there's no question it's easier to work remotely, use sick time with no questions asked, and get the priority vacation timing and the full vacation weeks off, if you have the spouse and three sickly little snot-nosed kids at home. It's just the way it is. I can't take off if there's a project that's taking a while because I have a date or meetup, but those who must pick up their kid can. My boss also assumes I can be available for meetings and emergencies when I'm on a vacation day because she doesn't see my time out the same as someone going on a travel vacation with their kids.

It's also assumed I can travel any time, while the marrieds / parents often have plausible deniability (I'm okay with this some of the time because sometimes I really enjoy solo business travel).

Let me reiterate that I'm not crying discrimination. I'm really glad I don't have to go pick up a kid or stay home because one's tummy hurts. But it does mean I'm viewed differently.

My girlfriend and I have mused that the next time we each move to new roles, we're going to claim that we're married and have three or four kids.
Anyway, I edited my original post to add the "up side" -- I'm 40 and planning to retire at age 50.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 01-16-2015 at 11:04 AM..

Old 01-16-2015, 11:06 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,007,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I generally can't take them because I'm busy and have my hands in a lot of things. If I were actually "sick" or had to visit a physician for something (like my destroyed finger), I would use the sick day. Other employees, usually at the manager, analyst, associate, or worker bee level are much more able to take 'spur of the moment' days.
Well, that would be a hardship. Clients would be agitated, projects would have bumps, explanations would have to be given, and make-up work would have to be scheduled. Same as anyone I would suppose.
I kind of explained it better here: Single men are being discriminated by society
Anyway, I edited my original post to add the "up side" -- I'm 40 and planning to retire at age 50.
Glad you are going to be able to retire earlier than most. Even though you seem very understanding you are being taken advantage of and discriminated against for not having children. I hope the company appreciates you. I work for a international company with 100k employees in the U.S. and we all take vacations everyone from the CEO to the janitor. I have only taken 1 sick day in 12 years but I wouldn't hesitate to if I was ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events