Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:17 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,234,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
and paid maternity leave. On the maternity leave, isn't that a choice and a very personal one? Why should anyone else pay someone's time off to have a baby?
...because they value that person's skills and it would cost money to hire and re-train someone else to do that job. Also, in the long run it improves the morale of THAT employee and others who also have families or will have families, whether male or female.

Businesses must learn that now (maybe always) people WORK to LIVE, they don't LIVE to WORK. Work needs to provide accommodations so people can live full and balanced lives. Because in the long term, jobs/companies/businesses that don't consider those needs will fail and they certainly fail society. Society requires work and families to thrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 11:07 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,944,719 times
I own a small business that relies on the employee doing the work that pays our bills. We have a modest profit margin. If the employee is NOT working and producing, how in the world can I afford to pay "leave"? Sure, I can raise prices, which I'll have to pass onto my customers....

Whenever the government does stuff like this, it costs EVERYONE!

Old 01-17-2015, 11:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,206,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I own a small business that relies on the employee doing the work that pays our bills. We have a modest profit margin. If the employee is NOT working and producing, how in the world can I afford to pay "leave"? Sure, I can raise prices, which I'll have to pass onto my customers....

When issues like this come to light everyone thinks about the burger flipper or the Wallymart cashier....min wage workers in the corporate world.

They don't care about Joe the Plumber with 3 employees.
And that's why small business has not recovered and continues to lose ground.

Corporates run the government and any regulation that puts the small guy out of business is good for them because it sends those workers right to them.

And this would only apply to workers working 30 hours or more and we know that many workers have been reduced to 29 hours due to Obamacare and the IRS regulations that came out of it.

So this hits you more than it hits Wallymart or McDonald's. The irony and hyprocisy of this has not been noticed by the masses yet.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:31 AM

26,165 posts, read 21,418,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post

Insurance can mitigate the risk albiet there is still a cost

Old 01-17-2015, 11:33 AM

26,165 posts, read 21,418,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The more government mandates on employers the less jobs will be available to citizens.

Employ an illegal and the labor cost is only salary.
Employ a citizen and the labor cost is twice the salary.

Change enforcement on hiring illegal labor. Some government mandates aren't bad. Child labor laws, min wage, overtime there are plenty that needs to be in place because a pure capitalist structure would blow right past them

Old 01-17-2015, 12:49 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,222,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When issues like this come to light everyone thinks about the burger flipper or the Wallymart cashier....min wage workers in the corporate world.

They don't care about Joe the Plumber with 3 employees.
And that's why small business has not recovered and continues to lose ground.

Corporates run the government and any regulation that puts the small guy out of business is good for them because it sends those workers right to them.

And this would only apply to workers working 30 hours or more and we know that many workers have been reduced to 29 hours due to Obamacare and the IRS regulations that came out of it.

So this hits you more than it hits Wallymart or McDonald's. The irony and hyprocisy of this has not been noticed by the masses yet.
Joe the plumber is exempt. The FMLA doesn't even apply to him/her.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,206,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Change enforcement on hiring illegal labor. Some government mandates aren't bad. Child labor laws, min wage, overtime there are plenty that needs to be in place because a pure capitalist structure would blow right past them
Are you blind ?

Our government is PRO letting the illegals come here and work and go to school and raise their families.
Enforcement has become more lax if anything due to the Fed telling states NOT to interfere.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:50 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,510,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
It always has been. If you get pregnant and have a vaginal birth the insurance company will pay for 6 weeks of short term disability as that is the medical standard. You can get more obviously, but only if it is medically necessary.

Here is an insurance company advertising exactly what I just said too.

Short-term disability insurance and your maternity leave
I asked if pregnancy was a disability. Your cited sources says "and" not is. That is part of the problem, women in this country can choose whether or bit to be pregnant. Equating that with a disability that happens to someone is degrading to this disabilities. They didn't choose their disability and they deserve our compassion, understanding and help. A pregnancy is a choice. You make it, you bear the burden for that choice, not everyone else.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:12 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,222,359 times
Quote:
I asked if pregnancy was a disability.
You specifically said child birth.

Quote:
Your cited sources says "and" not is. That is part of the problem, women in this country can choose whether or bit to be pregnant. Equating that with a disability that happens to someone is degrading to this disabilities. They didn't choose their disability and they deserve our compassion, understanding and help. A pregnancy is a choice. You make it, you bear the burden for that choice, not everyone else.
It's not the pregnancy, it is the birth that creates the disability.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:24 PM

21,678 posts, read 24,855,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You specifically said child birth.

It's not the pregnancy, it is the birth that creates the disability.
Pregnancy can as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events