Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:42 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times

Advertisements

Well, I know someone loved them in spite of it all. My condolences to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 07:59 PM

240 posts, read 239,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Link: Prison agency provides details on 10 killed in bus wreck - Houston Chronicle

Prison agency provides details on 10 killed in bus wreck
By Dane Schiller | January 15, 2015 |

Texas prison officials Thursday revealed more about the lives of 10 people who were killed when a prison bus slid off an icy West Texas overpass and collided with a train Wednesday.

The two corrections officers who were killed had all been on the job for at least 18 years. The senior officer, Eligio Garcia had been with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for nearly 23 years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know these were prisoners and were about to serve their time but this was very tragic. There are pictures of the wreckage in the link.
Its exactly like that Harrisson Ford movie , the scene is identical weird

Old 01-16-2015, 10:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
5 years for possession... gotta love Texas. I mean the guy who assaulted family got only 2 years. Only one guy got a longer sentence than the black guy. One, and he actually committed burglary. Bet money that the money they pay Byron's next of kin will pale, like by multiples of ten, in comparison with the payouts to the rest of the deceased.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:20 AM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I suggest that they check to see if there was a Dr. Richard Kimball on the prisoner manifest.
My thoughts exactly. Life imitates art.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:23 AM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
5 years for possession... gotta love Texas. I mean the guy who assaulted family got only 2 years. Only one guy got a longer sentence than the black guy. One, and he actually committed burglary. Bet money that the money they pay Byron's next of kin will pale, like by multiples of ten, in comparison with the payouts to the rest of the deceased.
Without looking I could have bet you were from a deeply blue state with your pointing out too harsh a sentence for drugs and a belief race is/was a factor.
I know you cannot help it as you have been wired this way through upbringing and or the PC culture you live in.
However with age and/or insight, you might get beyond the insidious grip of the conditioning you have been exposed to.

`

Old 01-17-2015, 12:12 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Without looking I could have bet you were from a deeply blue state with your pointing out too harsh a sentence for drugs and a belief race is/was a factor.
I know you cannot help it as you have been wired this way through upbringing and or the PC culture you live in.
However with age and/or insight, you might get beyond the insidious grip of the conditioning you have been exposed to.

`
You think possession of a controlled substance is a worse offense than aggravated assault? Really?

Old 01-17-2015, 12:50 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You think possession of a controlled substance is a worse offense than aggravated assault? Really?
You think you know the details of the case?

Perhaps he was given the time due to past record?

Quote:
Wilson's convictions include third-degree felony drug possession from 1999 in 47th District Court in Amarillo, second-degree felony drug possession from 2002 in 108th District Court, and third-degree felony drug possession in Randall County's 251st District Court in August, records show.
Also.. Every other site that I have found, shows that he was serving a 20 year sentence.. For possession with intent to distribute, but was up for parole in April.. Which doesn't mean he would have gotten it.

So.. Do you think you know better? What if the charge was selling drugs and it was pled down to possession? What if he was selling to kids? Rarely is someone convicted of what they are charged with. They plead to lesser charges. We don't know what happened here.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:38 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You think you know the details of the case?

Perhaps he was given the time due to past record?

Also.. Every other site that I have found, shows that he was serving a 20 year sentence.. For possession with intent to distribute, but was up for parole in April.. Which doesn't mean he would have gotten it.

So.. Do you think you know better? What if the charge was selling drugs and it was pled down to possession? What if he was selling to kids? Rarely is someone convicted of what they are charged with. They plead to lesser charges. We don't know what happened here.
No, we don't know what happened here. However, I consider assault a greater grievance than drug possession.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:27 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times
R.I.P to all involved. Sad regardless of their wrongdoing. They're still human beings. Some of the prison sentences seem excessively harsh. 3yrs. for evading arrest. but only 2yrs. for assault. Our justice system is messed up

Old 01-17-2015, 03:59 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
No, we don't know what happened here. However, I consider assault a greater grievance than drug possession.
I think you're confusing assault with battery. Assault basically comes down to causing someone to be afraid. No contact has to take place. A simple threat can constitute assault.

Go have a look up of what the definition of criminal assault is. Remember, assault.. not Aggravated assault. Not assault and battery.

I generally would consider true assault vs simple drug possession to be equal. Neither is worse than the other.. They're both piddly little things that deserve no more than a fine.

However.. To be sentenced to prison means that there was no simple drug possession. It was felony drug possession. And there was no simple assault.. There was assault and battery, or assault with bodily injury, or aggravated assault. When you get into those areas, the details make a difference.

Which is worse, the guy with a kilo of cocaine who was distributing it, or the guy who punched a drunk in a bar and unintentionally broke his jaw because the drunk was making passes at his wife?

So, in that case.. Which is worse? Drug Possession or Assault with Bodily Injury?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events