U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 09:09 PM

13,446 posts, read 24,235,663 times

Advertisements

Good grief.... She can feel feel to send me the money. I would be happy to spend it.

A local here in Vegas won Megabucks a couple months ago. Some friends came in to town and he took them out for the evening. I think it was 14M. Says he is giving it all to his church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 12:00 AM

9,863 posts, read 8,991,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Oh, you didn't know?

There's a "power ranking" of sins in the church, where some sins are more important and talked about than others.

(And I'm Christian, too, sometimes the truth hurts.)
OK I got you, sort of like the 'white lie' ... what is the difference between a 'black lie" not getting racial here, but I have heard of 'little white lies" and yes I am a Christian too. Just a sinner saved by Grace.

I have bought Powerball and Mega Million lottery tickets but never those scratch off things. And I really wanted to win. Money is not the root of all evil, "the love of money" is the evil. I don't love money but winning the lottery would sure make one's life easier if handled responsibly. That is what this lady needs to consider, not what a preacher or congregation will think of her but what good she can do.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:04 AM

4,793 posts, read 6,513,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This why I actually like Arizona's stance, you can remain anonymous if you win unless you chose to be open about it.
Delaware also

Old 01-18-2015, 09:51 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,098,930 times
She can feel and do what she wishes.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:52 AM

541 posts, read 1,345,952 times
It just seems like everytime anyone wins a big jackpot, they're always from Florida.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:13 AM

3,720 posts, read 4,443,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
"I'm a Christian. I don't gamble," said Fay Blake, 62. "Spiritually, it bothers me."

The Florida Lottery paid Blake $3,750,000 her winnings minus taxes and sent out a news release Thursday about her good fortune, though she pleaded with the agency to neither photograph her nor identify her. The photo is optional, but identification is not, Florida Lottery spokeswoman Shelly Gerteisen said.

Lottery winners cannot remain anonymous because some people, notably lottery employees themselves, are not allowed to play.

Blake said she had hoped to avoid publicity about her winnings for fear of shaming her church.

"I love my church, and I love my church family," she said.

Blake said her pastor has preached against gambling, and she usually takes his sermons to heart. But "impulse" led her to the lottery terminal at Publix on Edgewater Drive, she said. There was no line when she approached the kiosk with $1 and chose Quick Pick, an option in which a computer selects the numbers to play.

Her ticket matched five of the white-ball numbers in the televised Jan. 9 drawing, which would have earned a jackpot of $221 million if Blake's entry also would have matched the so-called yellow "Mega Ball." She won a $5 million consolation prize instead of $1 million because she plopped down an extra dollar for the "Megaplier."

Blake said she was uncertain how she would explain her moment of weakness to her pastor.

She was so conflicted Thursday that she initially told a reporter she had redeemed the winning ticket for somebody else who offered her a share of the prize. But she later acknowledged buying the ticket after learning that such an arrangement would be unlawful. A lottery investigator, she said, also called her to make sure the ticket was hers.

"I should be happy, but it's causing me grief," she said. "My heart is going so crazy."

Blake, who is married with children, also said she did not have immediate plans for her windfall and hoped to keep working as a nursing assistant, calling it "my joy."

"I live a quiet life, and I try to do things for people," she said.

Conflicted lottery winner feels poorer in spirit - Orlando Sentinel

So, she considers gambling a sin but not lying???

Overcome with grief? Perhaps she should tithe her winnings to her church? I'm sure her pastor will be more than happy with that!
Not only does she gamble (did she steal the ticket) but she lies too.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:55 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,953,053 times
The best solution would be for her to move to Las Vegas. She has to face the fact that she's become a sinner, so she might as well embrace it. Then all those people who would view her as a sinner would be left far behind, where they would no longer matter.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:25 PM

2,969 posts, read 3,200,441 times
She seems to be clueless about all the good she could do with this money. Sad.

It's either people like this, who will somehow be conned out of it, or compulsive types, who will go out and blow it all in a month on things they don't need and will never use, that always seem to win!

Old 01-19-2015, 07:14 AM

19,237 posts, read 11,161,873 times
Spiritual bondage- the bible said the lot is given by the Lord- being a gambler is not the same as just going and buying a ticket- thank the Lord and ask His purpose for the money- and be at peace child, all is forgiven- ALL

Old 01-19-2015, 07:19 AM

15,908 posts, read 9,653,110 times
As a Christian myself, I'd have no issue cashing in that ticket, and claiming my winnings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events