U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 05:42 PM

1,972 posts, read 2,533,741 times

Advertisements

"I'm a Christian. I don't gamble," said Fay Blake, 62. "Spiritually, it bothers me."

The Florida Lottery paid Blake $3,750,000 her winnings minus taxes and sent out a news release Thursday about her good fortune, though she pleaded with the agency to neither photograph her nor identify her. The photo is optional, but identification is not, Florida Lottery spokeswoman Shelly Gerteisen said.

Lottery winners cannot remain anonymous because some people, notably lottery employees themselves, are not allowed to play.

Blake said she had hoped to avoid publicity about her winnings for fear of shaming her church.

"I love my church, and I love my church family," she said.

Blake said her pastor has preached against gambling, and she usually takes his sermons to heart. But "impulse" led her to the lottery terminal at Publix on Edgewater Drive, she said. There was no line when she approached the kiosk with $1 and chose Quick Pick, an option in which a computer selects the numbers to play.

Her ticket matched five of the white-ball numbers in the televised Jan. 9 drawing, which would have earned a jackpot of $221 million if Blake's entry also would have matched the so-called yellow "Mega Ball." She won a $5 million consolation prize instead of $1 million because she plopped down an extra dollar for the "Megaplier."

Blake said she was uncertain how she would explain her moment of weakness to her pastor.

She was so conflicted Thursday that she initially told a reporter she had redeemed the winning ticket for somebody else who offered her a share of the prize. But she later acknowledged buying the ticket after learning that such an arrangement would be unlawful. A lottery investigator, she said, also called her to make sure the ticket was hers.

"I should be happy, but it's causing me grief," she said. "My heart is going so crazy."

Blake, who is married with children, also said she did not have immediate plans for her windfall and hoped to keep working as a nursing assistant, calling it "my joy."

"I live a quiet life, and I try to do things for people," she said.

Conflicted lottery winner feels poorer in spirit - Orlando Sentinel

So, she considers gambling a sin but not lying???

Overcome with grief? Perhaps she should tithe her winnings to her church? I'm sure her pastor will be more than happy with that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 06:33 PM

6,704 posts, read 4,169,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post

"I'm a Christian. I don't gamble," said Fay Blake, 62. "Spiritually, it bothers me."

"I should be happy, but it's causing me grief," she said. "My heart is going so crazy."
Simple solution to that - give it away. Wouldn't anything less be hypocritical, now that she's made such a big display of how much it goes against her religious beliefs? This woman doesn't strike me as the sharpest knife on the tree.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:20 PM

7,596 posts, read 5,108,665 times
I'm sorry she's so conflicted about her good fortune, and I would certainly volunteer to help her out with her dilemma. I have no such qualms about gambling proceeds.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:36 PM

240 posts, read 185,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post

The Florida Lottery paid Blake $3,750,000 her winnings minus taxes and sent out a news release Thursday about her good fortune, though she pleaded with the agency to neither photograph her nor identify her. The photo is optional, but identification is not, Florida Lottery spokeswoman Shelly Gerteisen said.

Lottery winners cannot remain anonymous because some people, notably lottery employees themselves, are not allowed to play.

Blake said she had hoped to avoid publicity about her winnings for fear of shaming her church.

"I love my church, and I love my church family," she said.

Blake said her pastor has preached against gambling, and she usually takes his sermons to heart. But "impulse" led her to the lottery terminal at Publix on Edgewater Drive, she said. There was no line when she approached the kiosk with $1 and chose Quick Pick, an option in which a computer selects the numbers to play.

Her ticket matched five of the white-ball numbers in the televised Jan. 9 drawing, which would have earned a jackpot of $221 million if Blake's entry also would have matched the so-called yellow "Mega Ball." She won a $5 million consolation prize instead of $1 million because she plopped down an extra dollar for the "Megaplier."

Blake said she was uncertain how she would explain her moment of weakness to her pastor.

She was so conflicted Thursday that she initially told a reporter she had redeemed the winning ticket for somebody else who offered her a share of the prize. But she later acknowledged buying the ticket after learning that such an arrangement would be unlawful. A lottery investigator, she said, also called her to make sure the ticket was hers.

Blake, who is married with children, also said she did not have immediate plans for her windfall and hoped to keep working as a nursing assistant, calling it "my joy."

"I live a quiet life, and I try to do things for people," she said.

Conflicted lottery winner feels poorer in spirit - Orlando Sentinel

So, she considers gambling a sin but not lying???

Overcome with grief? Perhaps she should tithe her winnings to her church? I'm sure her pastor will be more than happy with that!
You stole my reponse , feeling bad, give it all away. feel better simple

Old 01-16-2015, 09:13 PM

607 posts, read 508,590 times
She purchased a lottery ticket on "impulse"?

She bought the winning ticket so perhaps
this was for a purpose?

No need for guilt. She can build a center
to help people. Money can be used for good
too.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:26 PM

7,816 posts, read 5,450,182 times
Help the church and the unfortunate and be done with it. All will be forgiven.

Last edited by fitzy24; 01-16-2015 at 11:32 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 11:10 PM

6,317 posts, read 4,442,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Help the church and the misfortune and be done with it. All will be forgiven.
.... And her pastor will never preach about gambling as a "sin" ever again.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:41 AM

240 posts, read 196,995 times
Give 10% to the church, give the rest to a children's hospital like St. Judes. Pastor can't damn her to hell from a new and better pulpit, now can he?

Old 01-17-2015, 08:22 AM

5,664 posts, read 2,509,906 times
I was going to try to comment on this story, but decided to just go with this

Old 01-17-2015, 08:24 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,220,684 times
Well, there is no scriptural prohibition against gambling per se. But a $375,000 tithe to her church might put her pastor in a forgiving mood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events