U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 08:23 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,366,412 times

Advertisements

Twice over the last few years, my husband and I became acquainted with couples who showed interest in getting to know us better and going out together. We've had to pass because the wife goes way overboard on perfume and I'd never get through an evening with her. We made excuses because we don't know them well enough and it's just not worth it to broach the subject and be honest (we aren't short on friends). I seriously don't know why these people's closer friends and families don't say something, but they don't. Maybe people just put up with it. I'm not alone though. The more I talk to people about perfumes, the more I discover the many, many people who are bothered by them and avoid people who wear too much.

Folks are definitely free to shower in the stuff. I just hope they feel it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 08:55 PM

3,807 posts, read 2,827,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I have no allergies to perfume, but, Man, some women really overdo it on perfume. Here in Florida we have a lot of older ladies and for some reason they really spray the stuff on ! When you walk past one of them you have to hold your breath !

But just last week a younger lady was in our store and the perfume she had on was overpowering, I walked down an aisle after she had been there and I was gagging. I don't know if it is the type of perfume these ladies wear or the amount they use, but it certainly is unpleasant to be around one of them.

Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
The people who overuse perfume are ignorant and thoughtless, like the people who play their car stereos too loud.
I always figured the overuse of perfume/cologne was a tactic to mask B.O.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:47 AM

1,373 posts, read 791,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
It's possible and I hope it happens. We've been so conditioned to believe that natural human aromas are disgusting that now we believe it wholeheartedly, and that was the ultimate goal of the perfume industry so that people would buy huge quantities of perfume to mask their normal smells.

Strong fragrances give me headaches. I really don't see the point. When you walk in the room, nobody needs to smell a flower garden. Just be a human being. We'd all do well to get back to the point where we didn't find normal human odors offensive. Because we do find them offensive, we use deodorant with aluminum (a neurotoxin) which prevents the body from naturally excreting toxins through the armpits as it is designed to, we use shampoo with weird chemicals in it that destroy our hair, we use fragrances that nauseate many people around us, etc. Let's just be natural humans, shall we?

As long as you allow me the right to wear deodorant and perfume, I'll allow you the right not to wear deodorant, even though I dislike the smell of human perspiration.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:05 AM

11,828 posts, read 2,122,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post

As long as you allow me the right to wear deodorant and perfume, I'll allow you the right not to wear deodorant, even though I dislike the smell of human perspiration.
How magnanimous of you.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:21 AM

12,954 posts, read 24,155,859 times
Many people, both women and men don't know when to stop spraying. Fragrance is supposed to be intimate, up close. If I can smell you the minute you enter a room you have grossly overdone it.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:49 AM

534 posts, read 674,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
In my lifetime (the next 30 years or so) do you think we will see the fragrance-free movement gain enough momentum to ban this crap from public places, the way most states have gone with cigarette smoking? I'm chemical sensitive and have had dinners, movies, and other excursions ruined because I've been stuck near people (women mostly, sorry but it's true) who are wearing way, WAY too much perfume.

Some offices and public places are beginning to go fragrance-free (signs posted saying you can't wear colognes and perfumes into the building). Now it looks like the media is beginning to publish more about the dangers of chemical fragrances.

Fragrance Is The New Secondhand Smoke

What do you think?
There is nothing worse than sitting close to some insecure person that needs chemical aroma for thier self esteem. The demise of the beauty industry would be an advance equaling the cure for cancer.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:53 PM

19,939 posts, read 36,543,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Twice over the last few years, my husband and I became acquainted with couples who showed interest in getting to know us better and going out together. We've had to pass because the wife goes way overboard on perfume and I'd never get through an evening with her. We made excuses because we don't know them well enough and it's just not worth it to broach the subject and be honest (we aren't short on friends). I seriously don't know why these people's closer friends and families don't say something, but they don't. Maybe people just put up with it. I'm not alone though. The more I talk to people about perfumes, the more I discover the many, many people who are bothered by them and avoid people who wear too much.

Folks are definitely free to shower in the stuff. I just hope they feel it's worth it.
Of course, you do! It's the up and coming bandwagon to control people around you, and if you ask people about it and imply that it's a problem they're going to tell you what you want o hear and what makes them feel "special" because they're so sensitive to it. If it wasn't scent, it would be something else. Like I said originally, there's all kinds of addictions, and the need to make other people make the same choices you would and/or to get the attention that being a "victim" or having "sensitivities" (not medically diagnosable allergies or sensitivities, that's an entirely different thing) is a very strong one in our culture.

One reason this kind of thing bugs me so much is that it makes it difficult for people with true medical problems to be taken seriously, just like those people who jump on the food allergy bandwagons do. As someone who carries an epipen with me everywhere, I find that self-indulgent behavior at best for that reason.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:24 PM

21,627 posts, read 26,337,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Of course, you do! It's the up and coming bandwagon to control people around you, and if you ask people about it and imply that it's a problem they're going to tell you what you want o hear and what makes them feel "special" because they're so sensitive to it. If it wasn't scent, it would be something else. Like I said originally, there's all kinds of addictions, and the need to make other people make the same choices you would and/or to get the attention that being a "victim" or having "sensitivities" (not medically diagnosable allergies or sensitivities, that's an entirely different thing) is a very strong one in our culture.

One reason this kind of thing bugs me so much is that it makes it difficult for people with true medical problems to be taken seriously, just like those people who jump on the food allergy bandwagons do. As someone who carries an epipen with me everywhere, I find that self-indulgent behavior at best for that reason.
DH does not have anaphylaxis due to odors from perfume and other scented products, but they do make his nose stuffy and drippy and his eyes burn. So does the lingering effect of cigarette smoke. He can tell if a room has been smoked in even if there is no detectable odor. Is a "sensitivity" only significant to you if it is diagnosed by a doctor and severe enough to require the need to carry an EpiPen?

Old 01-19-2015, 02:40 PM

29,661 posts, read 32,101,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

I was going to post the same thing..."the more you talk..." yeah. It's not magic, replace fragrance with anything and you will get the same results.

On the other hand, if you stop talking and just listen there are only a few people who are vocal about it either because they actually do come in contact with one of those heavy handed folks who don't know when to stop or because they are fragile and shouldn't go outside.

Notice this next time some weird story pops up on your newsfeed, suddenly it's everywhere like a National Disaster that need to be attended to. In fact I watched that play out with "manspreading" over the last few months. It's a made up problem that everyone jumps on because, gasp, we really don't have enough trouble in our lives to satisfy our 24/7 thirst for outrage. And we like to make every oddball issue that effects someone a problem that effects EVERYONE.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:59 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,492,025 times
fwiw, when in an enclosed shopping mall I'm more offended by the smell of flavored coffee coming from Gloria Jean's (or whomever) than the perfume shops. I can smell that a mile away and will take circuitous routes to avoid it.

If everyone got their own personal hell, mine would have hazelnut coffee in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or