U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2015, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Somewhere gray and damp, close to the West Coast
11,677 posts, read 2,088,849 times
Reputation: 4960

Advertisements

Antihistamines don't do much for low level anaphylaxis, which is how my body responds to chemicals in the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2015, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Somewhere gray and damp, close to the West Coast
11,677 posts, read 2,088,849 times
Reputation: 4960
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Someone was kind enough to Rep me and let me know that I was a bad person and that karma would get me (for wearing perfume of all things) but wasn't so kind to leave their name. I wonder why?
Well, you're probably not a bad person, but the truth is what it is -- what you sow, so shall you reap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY
30,377 posts, read 9,081,069 times
Reputation: 28908
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Well, you're probably not a bad person, but the truth is what it is -- what you sow, so shall you reap.
In fact, simply because the OP starts a thread asserting that something is true, doesn't make it true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Somewhere gray and damp, close to the West Coast
11,677 posts, read 2,088,849 times
Reputation: 4960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
In fact, simply because the OP starts a thread asserting that something is true, doesn't make it true.
What makes it true for me is what happens to my body when I breathe all those chemicals. Read up a few posts and if you don't know what anaphylaxis means, please look it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 08:32 AM
 
2,620 posts, read 2,346,429 times
Reputation: 7195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
In fact, simply because the OP starts a thread asserting that something is true, doesn't make it true.
Not exactly. I'd only started the thread to ask people if they thought that perfume was going to be the next anti-smoking trend. I never asserted that anything was true other than the fact that I personally am bothered by heavy perfumes. Merely hearing that apparently causes some people to soil themselves, but I can't take responsibility for that. But I've had enough with the putting words in my mouth that aren't there. I linked to an article that is buzzing around the web to show that this seems to be the new thing people are talking about (ergo the current events thread). I think there is compelling information for the dangers to be researched further, and I would like to see full disclosure of what ingredients are in the products I'm buying. Those are the only things I have "asserted".

That hysterical people wet their pants over what they assume I'm saying, doesn't mean I said it. Please don't confuse the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY
30,377 posts, read 9,081,069 times
Reputation: 28908
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Not exactly. I'd only started the thread to ask people if they thought that perfume was going to be the next anti-smoking trend. I never asserted that anything was true other than the fact that I personally am bothered by heavy perfumes. Merely hearing that apparently causes some people to soil themselves, but I can't take responsibility for that. But I've had enough with the putting words in my mouth that aren't there. I linked to an article that is buzzing around the web to show that this seems to be the new thing people are talking about (ergo the current events thread). I think there is compelling information for the dangers to be researched further, and I would like to see full disclosure of what ingredients are in the products I'm buying. Those are the only things I have "asserted".

That hysterical people wet their pants over what they assume I'm saying, doesn't mean I said it. Please don't confuse the two.


You're wrong, so quit bellyaching that we're "putting words in your mouth." The only hysterical one is you. Your thread title makes that assertion. Many people don't even bother to go on and open a thread to read it in its entirety. You chose a thread title, and are now complaining because it wasn't representative of what you wrote.
"Is Perfume The Next Second-Hand Smoke" would have worked..

Titles have a purpose, and yours sucked. Had this been a research paper, you'd have gotten an "F" for that reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
3,048 posts, read 1,568,863 times
Reputation: 10172
I work with a lady that puts on her perfume my the gallon. She also puts those plug in scented devices all over the place. She is a former smoker who says she has no sense of smell anymore. The whole place smells like strong scented flowers to the 9th degree. I guess I have gotten used to some of it after a while. She is the bosses wife so there is no saying anything to her. One person tried and was read the riot act. I did however cap the wires to the AC outlet on the scented device next to my desk so it doesn't get the 110 volts to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY
30,377 posts, read 9,081,069 times
Reputation: 28908
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I work with a lady that puts on her perfume my the gallon. She also puts those plug in scented devices all over the place. She is a former smoker who says she has no sense of smell anymore. The whole place smells like strong scented flowers to the 9th degree. I guess I have gotten used to some of it after a while. She is the bosses wife so there is no saying anything to her. One person tried and was read the riot act. I did however cap the wires to the AC outlet on the scented device next to my desk so it doesn't get the 110 volts to work.

You have my sympathy because, 30 years ago, I worked for a very nice man whose favorite cologne was Polo, and he smelled like he bathed in it. We used to joke that he had stock in Ralph Lauren! Interestingly, when I saw his obit about 5 years ago, that's the first thing I thought of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 09:10 AM
 
Location: New Mexico via Ohio via Indiana
1,418 posts, read 1,178,923 times
Reputation: 2226
Worked with a woman who was on a sacred mission to destroy her co-worker who had major allergies/respiratory issues. She wore tons of nasty perfume around her every day.......she started hacking and coughing uncontrollably all day long while the guilty party would innocently say "Gee, that cough sounds horrible....." and smile.
It can be truly nasty to those afflicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in USA
537 posts, read 452,696 times
Reputation: 467
I'd smell perfume over armpits or any sweat smell. Are you also saying, deodorant, lotions, and any other stuff roughing in your body are also "second-hand smoke".

Sounds like an allergy problem instead...granted some perfumes may be a bit strong for the daily wear but it is NOT second hand smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top