U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 02:39 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,443,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

"When I was growing up, people smoked anywhere they pleased. If I did not like it, tough. Today, smokers have been banned from public transport, pubs, restaurants, theatres and the work place.
People who smoke are not banned from any of those places. They just cannot engage in their habit there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 03:09 PM

21,557 posts, read 26,166,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
People who smoke are not banned from any of those places. They just cannot engage in their habit there.
True, but I was just quoting something someone else wrote. I think his meaning was clear even if you disagree with the semantics.

Do you have an opinion on the viewpoint he expresses on wearing perfume around other people (strangers) who may be bothered by it?

Old 01-18-2015, 03:16 PM

I wear perfume. If it bothers other people that's not my problem it's theirs. Just like people who smoke and they get perfumed in it. Not their problem if others don't like the fact that they smell like smoke. But anyone who wants to complain about it can continue to do so of course.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:19 PM

2,380 posts, read 2,847,560 times
Lots of things are linked to diabetes and cancers, obesity and allergies, but the link between shampoo and the mentioned illnesses is negligible. Where's the group to ban sugar?

You can choose to refrain from using fragranced products like soap, deoderant, detergents, shampoo, etc and find an alternative. You can substitute apple cider vinegar or peppermint oil for soap, and use baking soda and peroxide concoction for toothpaste. Use 100% petro. jelly for antiperspirant if you want, and wash your clothes in Borax or sea salt. All that is a lot less convenient and effective, though...

Old 01-18-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I wear perfume. If it bothers other people that's not my problem it's theirs. Just like people who smoke and they get perfumed in it. Not their problem if others don't like the fact that they smell like smoke. But anyone who wants to complain about it can continue to do so of course.
You might want to just consider for a moment that you may be wearing too much if it bothers other people, and that attitudes like yours are behind possible perfume bans.

Do you realize that many people who are "bothered" get physically ill?

Some who are "bothered" just think you stink. Is that attractive?

You may want to reread the link and meditate on it a bit.

Smoking bans may have never happened if smokers voluntarily limited smoking in public. Perfume wearers have an opportunity to preempt bans by just being courteous about how much they use and where.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:07 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,352,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nice2bfree View Post
Out of respect for people I'm around, I've stopped wearing any aftershave or cologne. It hasn't bothered me, nor has anyone complained about other issues with me. I haven't missed the stuff for over fifteen years.
If the world were filled with more people like you instead of "FU I'll do what I want", we wouldn't need bans or laws about anything. Back when I smoked, I was not above asking a stranger if my cigarette was bothering them and offering to put it out. Sadly, people just don't operate like that anymore.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
You might want to just consider for a moment that you may be wearing too much if it bothers other people, and that attitudes like yours are behind possible perfume bans.

Do you realize that many people who are "bothered" get physically ill?

Some who are "bothered" just think you stink. Is that attractive?

You may want to reread the link and meditate on it a bit.

Smoking bans may have never happened if smokers voluntarily limited smoking in public. Perfume wearers have an opportunity to preempt bans by just being courteous about how much they use and where.
I've considered it and I don't wear too much.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I've considered it and I don't wear too much.
Ask a stranger.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Ask a stranger.
I'll ask them to put on a surgical face mask and solve their own problem.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:03 PM

29,633 posts, read 31,957,040 times
I don't wear too much either. Nobody can ever tell but me. I've asked. You need to be sniffing my skin to smell it and if anyone out in public does that they get what they get .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or