Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 12:33 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Since I was mistaken in assuming folks would at least glance at the link before commenting, allow me to summarize the primary point. Specifically,

"According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG) study, 75% of products with the ingredient “fragrance” contained endocrine disruptors called phthalates. Phthalates have been linked to diabetes, obesity, liver and breast cancer, hormone disruption affecting fertility and development as well as linked to ADHD and Autism in first and third trimester prenatal exposure. The National Academy of Sciences, working with an expert panel, stated that there may be cancer-causing chemicals in fragrance recipes, but there is no way for the consumer to make informed decisions. Up to 95% of these chemicals are derived from petrochemicals that are known to cause cancer, birth defects, nervous system disorders, asthma, and allergies. To make matters even worse for the unsuspecting public, many products labeled as “unscented” are actually the fragranced product with the addition of another masking fragrance. The use of synthetic chemicals to mimic natural fragrances has become an insidious underminer of health, but they are not the only subversive in the fragrance industry."

This is the underlying question and the reason the article is titled "the new second-hand smoke". The premise is that this isn't an issue simply of being an offensive odor, but yet another health issue created by modern manufacturing.

Why is this "New" news? It isn't and those ingredients have been used for years without issue.
Someone ran out of smokers to bully so they went to the next available item.

They should be more focused on those Tide Pods that children have been eating because they look like candy and their parents are too irresponsible to teach their children not to touch those types of products.
Oh yes, I forgot the best way to ensure that a child doesn't get into anything is to pick it up and put it out of their reach instead of teaching them that they should not touch. The problem with that is if a child really wants something, they will figure out a way to climb up and get it no matter how high the shelf is.

When those people run out of fragrance issues they will make up the next group to bully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 12:39 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,672,692 times
I work in relatively small, confined spaces. On occasion, one of my students - usually a male, will have on too much cologne. I simply pull the kid aside and speak with them about it. I've had to say something to adults too and it has never been an issue.

Be that as it may, when there is a wealth of credible research completed that proves significant health issues are caused by fragrance wearers, then it will be a serious topic. I predict, however, that will not happen.

Maybe we should ban oleanders because some people are allergic.

Maybe we should ban cars because some people are significantly impacted by the pollution.

Maybe we should ban dogs and cats because some people are allergic.

Do you see why we cannot control everything? But, more importantly, why we shouldn't?

Old 01-17-2015, 12:44 AM

240 posts, read 252,128 times
When you ban smoking because it offends you, then smokers should have every right to ban perfume because it offends them. Why not?

We live in a free world, but we're not free. The busybodies won't allow us the freedom.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:07 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
I have no allergies to perfume, but, Man, some women really overdo it on perfume. Here in Florida we have a lot of older ladies and for some reason they really spray the stuff on ! When you walk past one of them you have to hold your breath !

But just last week a younger lady was in our store and the perfume she had on was overpowering, I walked down an aisle after she had been there and I was gagging. I don't know if it is the type of perfume these ladies wear or the amount they use, but it certainly is unpleasant to be around one of them.

Don

Old 01-17-2015, 04:59 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
The people who overuse perfume are ignorant and thoughtless, like the people who play their car stereos too loud.

The rest of us will continue to enjoy our patchouli and Grateful Dead.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:09 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,412 times
I really do believe that should someone invent glasses that allowed us to see other people's breath people would be suing each other all over the country and starting up movements and passing laws to ensure that they don't have to breathe the exhalations of others. The lawyers would have a field day, and what's left of social cohesion would go right out the window.

This business of trying to ban every petty thing we don't like or choose to take offense at really does need to stop.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:27 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,219,300 times
Both sides of this debate have good points but the true root cause of the problem here are the cosmetics (and household cleaning products as well) industry. If they didn't use so many harmful chemicals in their products, then this wouldn't be an issue.

What happened to using natural fragrances like people used to in the past? Why does everything have to be synthetic this, petrochemical that? It all boils down to profits again.

I hate our increasingly all-for-profit, mass-production, corporate world.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:17 AM

23,492 posts, read 12,502,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
If they really want to smell good why don't they just keep a hunk of bacon in their pocket?
mmmm, bacon

I'm highly sensitive to most chemical scents too, not just colognes and perfumes but also to many different household cleaning and aroma products. I hadn't always been sensitive to those products but somewhere down the line things changed. I don't know if it's my body that's changed, or, if the product makers are putting more chemicals into their products, or, if it's a combo of both.

Most times, with the people who wear a light mist of cologne/perfume, I just try to put up with it the best I can. But with those who slather it on, and I have no choice but to be around them, I usually have to ask them to wash it off. It is embarrassing to have to ask, and, I'm sure it's embarrassing to them that I have to ask. For some reason I have found that Avon products are the worst, those products tend to hit me faster and harder than other scents.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:30 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,220,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
In my lifetime (the next 30 years or so) do you think we will see the fragrance-free movement gain enough momentum to ban this crap from public places, the way most states have gone with cigarette smoking? I'm chemical sensitive and have had dinners, movies, and other excursions ruined because I've been stuck near people (women mostly, sorry but it's true) who are wearing way, WAY too much perfume.

Some offices and public places are beginning to go fragrance-free (signs posted saying you can't wear colognes and perfumes into the building). Now it looks like the media is beginning to publish more about the dangers of chemical fragrances.

Fragrance Is The New Secondhand Smoke

What do you think?
Give me a break. In an era where men can wear lipstick and blush and be protected by state law we can tolerate perfume. While I'm on the topic, perfume makes a beautiful woman unforgettable.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:31 AM

5,133 posts, read 6,129,481 times
With today's buildings and homes everything is built a lot tighter as far as insulation (windows, doors, etc.) and you can definitely tell walking into a room what someone has been eating or in this case wearing as far as colgne or perfume.

We have several employees I work with that don't just put a touch on but they must wash in it and when you open our office door from the hallway and enter in you are overcome with it......many people who visit the office have commented about the smell, but what do you do?

On another note.......I sometimes wonder how we ever got by with the second hand smoke in the office or plane. I could never imagine how it would be working in a smoke filled enviorment.

It 's weird how when I visit someone's houe or spend the night I can really smell the smoke and carry that back to my smoke free home and my clothes are ripe from it.

My dad was a chain smoker growing up and I never noticed the smell in the house or around me, go figure

But as far as the overwhelming perfume smell........I just try to get over it, but it is amazing how many people will comment at my workplace but no one wants to be the bad guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events