Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 09:37 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times

Advertisements

Scent of Danger: Are There Toxic Ingredients in Perfumes and Colognes? - Scientific American

From Scientific American,

...the Food and Drug Administration “has not assessed the safety of the vast majority” of secret chemicals used in spray-on products such as fragrances. “Fragrance secrecy is legal due to a giant loophole in the Federal Fair Packaging and Labeling Act of 1973, which requires companies to list cosmetics ingredients on the product labels but explicitly exempts fragrance,” reports EWG. As such, the cosmetics industry has kept the public in the dark about fragrance ingredients, “even those that present potential health risks or build up in people’s bodies.”

Again, this is not necessarily about the notion of banning anything, but requiring manufacturers to disclose what's in their products, same as they are already doing for the ingredients that aren't lumped under the category of "fragrance".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 09:48 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Note the actual source of that particular answer to a question in Scientific American (which quotes a 2010 article, without cites, of the EWG - see what I found about them above - again:

EarthTalk® is written and edited by Roddy Scheer and Doug Moss and is a registered trademark of E - The Environmental Magazine

"Roddy Scheer is a Seattle-based journalist and photographer specializing in environmental issues, travel and the outdoors."

Doug Moss

FDA itself on cosmetics ingredients.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:59 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,607 times
[quote=IheartWA;38059233]I agree that the issue is not perfume, it's the chemicals that make us think something is perfume.

Ten Thousand Reps for pointing this out.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:04 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,236,907 times
I hate the thought of more rules and restrictions, but I want "scents" to be made safe. I also think in workplaces where you cant get away from a smell, they should have rules. I've had no issues except one woman's perfume at work. Made me sick as a dog and I had to ask her to please take it easy. Out in the open I don't care what someone wears, as I can get away.

I use candles and melts at home, and son & dil cant stand them. So when they're coming over, I clean the scents out as much as I can.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:16 AM

16,545 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Did you ever think of the alternate.

While I do not like people who bathe in the stuff, I also would prefer something pleasant compared with some peoples natural smells.
I am not even talking about body odor due to poor hygiene, but rather some people just smell awful even if they are freshly bathed.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:09 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Since I was mistaken in assuming folks would at least glance at the link before commenting, allow me to summarize the primary point. Specifically,

"According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG) study, 75% of products with the ingredient “fragrance” contained endocrine disruptors called phthalates. Phthalates have been linked to diabetes, obesity, liver and breast cancer, hormone disruption affecting fertility and development as well as linked to ADHD and Autism in first and third trimester prenatal exposure. The National Academy of Sciences, working with an expert panel, stated that there may be cancer-causing chemicals in fragrance recipes, but there is no way for the consumer to make informed decisions. Up to 95% of these chemicals are derived from petrochemicals that are known to cause cancer, birth defects, nervous system disorders, asthma, and allergies. To make matters even worse for the unsuspecting public, many products labeled as “unscented” are actually the fragranced product with the addition of another masking fragrance. The use of synthetic chemicals to mimic natural fragrances has become an insidious underminer of health, but they are not the only subversive in the fragrance industry."

This is the underlying question and the reason the article is titled "the new second-hand smoke". The premise is that this isn't an issue simply of being an offensive odor, but yet another health issue created by modern manufacturing.
Well, this is a completely different argument from your OP.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:14 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Quote:
In my lifetime (the next 30 years or so) do you think we will see the fragrance-free movement gain enough momentum to ban this crap from public places, the way most states have gone with cigarette smoking? I'm chemical sensitive and have had dinners, movies, and other excursions ruined because I've been stuck near people (women mostly, sorry but it's true) who are wearing way, WAY too much perfume.

Some offices and public places are beginning to go fragrance-free (signs posted saying you can't wear colognes and perfumes into the building). Now it looks like the media is beginning to publish more about the dangers of chemical fragrances.

Fragrance Is The New Secondhand Smoke

What do you think?
I hope so...that **** makes my eyes water and sneeze like crazy.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:03 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
I have a co-worker who has started using a strong scented plug-in in his office. The scent wafts all around the office.
I am going to have to tell him to unplug it as I can't stand it. It burns my sinuses.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:32 PM

179 posts, read 268,412 times
I have worked in places that banned perfumes and no one seemed upset that they couldn't smell the place up. On their own time they could do it all they wanted.

I hate to be in church and have someone come in a sit in front of me drenched in perfume. I move to another seat but the stuff gets my allergies going.

Having worked in smoke filled offices I do see where so many people are doing a comparison of them. I wouldn't have made that connection but so many people on here pointed it out.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:38 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
"Instead of being medicinal, today’s fragranced products are associated with diabetes, obesity, autism, ADD/ADHD and hormone disruption.."

Today's fragranced products are associated with obesity.

ROFLMAO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events