Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:58 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
If we sent crash test dummies through the rollovers you went through, say, 100 times, they might come out totally unscathed 3 times, with only minor "injuries" 17 times, and with major "injuries" 10 times. They might have a whole range of catastrophic and/or life-ending injuries 70 times.

Would there have been some benevolence reaching in from another dimension to somwhow alter the physics (matter and energy) in the 30% of the times when the dummies "survived?" Umm, no.

In the case of the man pinned between two semis, if we somehow replicated that, say, 1000 times, maybe the dummy is as unscathed as this guy only 1 or 2 times. Maybe it only "survives" 12 times in 1000. Maybe it's horribly crushed 950 of the 1000 times we run the simulation. Maybe this outcome only occurs 1 out of 10,000 times. Supernatural, then? Intelligent manipulation of physics by an other-dimensional super-hero? Nope.

Actually, if we were to somehow *exactly* replicate every micrometer and nanosecond and milligram of your rollovers and this semi incident, which we could never do, but if we could, the results would match what happened in the real world 100% of the time.

I think (or hope, anyway) that most thinking adults understand what I said to be true, but that for some reason that eludes me, some of them like to simple-mindedly play pretend every now and then.

I always wonder what people think of the times when the supernatural physics-twiddler DIDN'T exert its influence. Was it just being a jerk? Did those people deserve to die? Was it stretched too thin at that moment, busy twiddling physics elsewhere? Does it have quotas? Or is it random? Let's go with random.
I'm sorry you feel the need to react like this when the term miracle is used.

Hows this: To the educated it's a matter of science which can be explained through the physics of acceleration, momentum, and force, sometimes referred to as Hyper-Physics. To the majority of the less educated it fits the definition of miracle.

Now you can rest assurd that your classification of thought is far above the others. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done!

BTW, what are the odds of having this happen on the first try? If we're gong to play the math game, you might as well be honest about it. The odds of this happening in the way it did have to be in the millions to one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 12:05 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
[the first part of what you wrote]
I discourage magical thinking. Not going to apologize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
BTW, what are the odds of having this happen on the first try?
How the he|| would I know? I'm not there examining the scene, nor have I run one hundred or one million simulations. What I do know is this wasn't a case of 'goddidit.' And the odds of it happening in this case (i.e. the first try) are, given similar circumstances, the same odds of it happening in any case.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 01-19-2015 at 12:29 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 12:24 PM

24,483 posts, read 17,220,223 times
That looks incredible and truly a miracle for the guy and his family but I don't see how a SUV could get squashed, rolled and compressed like that, leaving just enough room for him to survive.
I like to ask questions.
How is the light still on the container truck on the left?
Why isn't the truck on the right damaged more? The base is solid aluminum but the sides are sheet metal but there is very little damage there either?
Do we have any more photos from this crash?

Old 01-19-2015, 12:26 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
How about this? I'm amazed & grateful that I am not a quad or even a para, or in a vegetative state? Bet that guy is grateful, too. So, regardless of physics, it's a miracle! BTW, my SIL has a Ph.D. in Astrophysics & agrees with me...

Old 01-19-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I discourage magical thinking. Not going to apologize.
How the he|| would I know? I'm not there examining the scene, nor have I run one hundred or one million simulations. What I do know is this wasn't a case of 'goddidit.' And the odds of it happening in this case are, given similar circumstances, the same odds of it happening in any case.
I never asked for an apology, never mentioned God, and you're the one that started defining odds to deflect any notion of something being miraculous. As another poster made clear, God and miraculous events aren't mutually exclusive.

It shouldn't concern you if people choose to relate it in that way, and it's certainly not your job to attack beliefs.

{B} You are absolutely correct, you obviously do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
How about this? I'm amazed & grateful that I am not a quad or even a para, or in a vegetative state? Bet that guy is grateful, too. So, regardless of physics, it's a miracle! BTW, my SIL has a Ph.D. in Astrophysics & agrees with me...
EXACTLY RIGHT! It sucks that some people feel the need to take a simply unbelievable, incredible, highly unlikely event... only to have a cow when the term "miracle" is used. PC extremism is becoming anally retentive to the umpteenth power.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:36 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
A quick change of pants and this guy was back on the road. What a miracle! God is great! Hopefully this guy capitalizes on the whole incident and realizes just how awesome life is.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:39 PM

It concerns me because I think it's dumb and I think it's bad for the country and the world for people to still believe events are being manipulated by an extra-dimensional super-intelligence.

But hey! If there really is something here, some supernatural manipulation of events, then by all means we should get all over it and try to understand it. We should turn it from unexplained, supernatural woo into measurable science. Let's get cracking.

-------------------------

It sucks that in 2015 some people still cling to magical thinking to avoid facing cold hard reality.

The PC thing here is to go along with mainstream media and just call it a divine miracle.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That looks incredible and truly a miracle for the guy and his family but I don't see how a SUV could get squashed, rolled and compressed like that, leaving just enough room for him to survive.
I like to ask questions.
How is the light still on the container truck on the left?
Why isn't the truck on the right damaged more? The base is solid aluminum but the sides are sheet metal but there is very little damage there either?
Do we have any more photos from this crash?
Yes there are more photos... looking... looking... aha!

A man survives being sandwiched between 2 semis in I-84 pileup - KPTV - FOX 12

There's plenty of images. What appears to have happened, the truck body was sheared from the chasis, and he sort of landed in a wedge created by the trailers. It's an unimaginable event, and if it were in a movie people would call it a Die Hard moment. You know, those movie scenes where it's so over the top that everyone agrees it's impossible.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
...regardless of physics, it's a miracle...
By the second definition (see above), a wonderful event... sure, why not.

I'd be glad, too. I want to choose how and when I die, not have it chosen for me. So, I'd be glad too.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
It concerns me because I think it's dumb and I think it's bad for the country and the world for people to still believe events are being manipulated by an extra-dimensional super-intelligence.

But hey! If there really is something here, some supernatural manipulation of events, then by all means we should get all over it and try to understand it. We should turn it from unexplained, supernatural woo into measurable science. Let's get cracking.

-------------------------

It sucks that in 2015 some people still cling to magical thinking to avoid facing cold hard reality.

So you're not only an atheist, but a totalitarian/authoritarian one at that!

It sucks that in 2015 people still believe it's their business to decide what others should believe. You must despise the Constitutional protections of religion.

Quote:
By the second definition (see above), a wonderful event... sure, why not.

I'd be glad, too. I want to choose how and when I die, not have it chosen for me. So, I'd be glad too.
That sounds like something an ideologue would say. Can you expand on just how you and I, or anyone, can "choose how and when to die?"

The only scenario I can think of would be suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events