Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 06:14 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,651,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by underated9 View Post
That's called good karma. If he had enough bad karma those 4 or 5 inches left that are saving him wouldn't be there.
I know right. I need him to be my friend so some of that good karma can rub off on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 06:23 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I just saw that on the weather channel a few minutes ago, it don't even look real. They said the guy walked away with only a few scratches after he was cut out . I guess it just wasn't his time or something, and looks like a miracle of divine intervention.
I'd say! I have a friend who rolled his small pick up on black ice. When he finally saw his truck days later the whole cab was crushed flat except the one small area where he was sitting. Made no sense whatsoever. Divine intervention? I'm a believer!

Old 01-18-2015, 06:26 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'd say! I have a friend who rolled his small pick up on black ice. When he finally saw his truck days later the whole cab was crushed flat except the one small area where he was sitting. Made no sense whatsoever. Divine intervention? I'm a believer!
Yeah, me too.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:30 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,605 times
Quote:
I was a passenger in a wreck (in a 1990 bmw 3 series) where we hit a tree while upside down. The cop who responded told us to go buy a lottery ticket, haha! We flew over a deep creek bed @ 50mph, it was ridiculous.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:47 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
I saw that crash on TWC and was sure that driver had been killed. I'd call it devine intervention too.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:22 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
It's not a 'miracle.'

It's physics, chance, and happenstance.

It's really good for he and his family.
No, actually, it does fit the definition of a miracle:

1. miracle

Houghton Mifflin
    • n.noun
      1. An event that appears inexplicable by the laws of nature and so is held to be supernatural in origin or an act of God.
      2. One that excites admiring awe; a wonderful or amazing event, act, person, or thing.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:46 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
No, actually, it does fit the definition of a miracle...
Okay, look. I'm glad he survived. It's a really neat 'chewing gum for the mind' piece and a nice little news bit. The chance of that happening is doubtless fairly slim.

It is not, however, inexplicable. And I do not and will not hold the outcome to be 'supernatural in origin.'

It is something that occurred. There was no twiddling of matter and energy by some intelligence we can't conceive of through some method of transmission we've never observed.*

I'll give you the second definition though, I guess. A wonderful event.

(* and if there had been, and we called it 'supernatural,' it would still only be so until we learned to observe and measure it, at which point it would cease to be supernatural and would instead be called science and knowledge)

Old 01-18-2015, 11:31 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
Only one thing I can say...Holy s---! Also, I have been in 2 horrible rollovers in my life, one with no seatbelt (yes, I was young & dumb), & *something* saved me, other than chance.

So happy for that guy! Yikes!

Old 01-19-2015, 10:32 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
If we sent crash test dummies through the rollovers you went through, say, 100 times, they might come out totally unscathed 3 times, with only minor "injuries" 17 times, and with major "injuries" 10 times. They might have a whole range of catastrophic and/or life-ending injuries 70 times.

Would there have been some benevolence reaching in from another dimension to somehow alter the physics (matter and energy) in the 30% of the times when the dummies "survived?" Umm, no.

In the case of the man pinned between two semis, if we somehow replicated that, say, 1000 times, maybe the dummy is as unscathed as this guy only 1 or 2 times. Maybe it only "survives" 12 times in 1000. Maybe it's horribly crushed 950 of the 1000 times we run the simulation. Maybe this outcome only occurs 1 out of 10,000 times. Supernatural, then? Intelligent manipulation of physics by an other-dimensional super-hero? Nope.

Actually, if we were to somehow *exactly* replicate every micrometer and nanosecond and milligram of your rollovers and this semi incident, which we could never do, but if we could, the results would match what happened in the real world 100% of the time.

I think (or hope, anyway) that most thinking adults understand what I said to be true, but that for some reason that eludes me, some of them like to simple-mindedly play pretend every now and then.

I always wonder what people think of the times when the supernatural physics-twiddler DIDN'T exert its influence. Was it just being a jerk? Did those people deserve to die? Was it stretched too thin at that moment, busy twiddling physics elsewhere? Does it have quotas? Or is it random? Let's go with random.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 01-19-2015 at 12:00 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 10:36 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl
I really don't think it is the wrong forum...this major accident as well as this particular man himself are all over the news today both TV and online, and IMO it most definitely qualifies as a Current Event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
This thread was originally posted in Relationships and has since been moved to Current Events where it belongs.
Yes, the mods are really great about fixing mistakes

Quote:
My sister in law, her husband and a friend had a similar accident in a mini-truck back when they were truly mini. The cops figured the only thing that saved their lives was the fact they were stuffed so tight in the cab, as it rolled a few times. All three walked away with hardly a scratch.
I had to post this image because, not in my wildest dreams could I imagine a full-size pickup being so completely shredded with the lone occupant ending up in a body cast of twisted iron... with only two cuts.

Someone said it's just physics; and though I agree, it doesn't take away from the fact that this was truly a miracle he survived such overwhelming physical odds in such a spectacular fashion.

Last edited by steven_h; 01-19-2015 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events