Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 09:53 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

This story is disturbing. White guy fires 4 shots at bkack police chief. Pokice were responding to bomb threat and he was a suspect. The officer survived, the shooter was arrested, but there was "no oribalbke cause" so charges are dropped. Huh? The police team witnessed the shooter.

Questions remain after Sentinel police chief is shot, detained man is released | NewsOK.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 10:11 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This story is disturbing. White guy fires 4 shots at bkack police chief. Pokice were responding to bomb threat and he was a suspect. The officer survived, the shooter was arrested, but there was "no oribalbke cause" so charges are dropped. Huh? The police team witnessed the shooter.

Questions remain after Sentinel police chief is shot, detained man is released | NewsOK.com
Apparently the guy was swatted, no-knock warrant. It's actually legal to use force to defend yourself in this country whether you're white or black. You can't use it if you know or should reasonably believe it's against a police officer in the scope of his duties, but if some random people break into your house at 2 a.m. and you shoot one and then it turns out they were the police you're not liable for that. The fact that he was taken unharmed speaks to his mental state. There's no real easy way of taking a shooter into custody who has decided not to be taken into custody.

Wait for the facts to come out. Or just be a racist and jump to the conclusion that it's open season for whitey to shoot any and all black police officers.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:14 AM

19,829 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:

Did you even read your own link? A no-knock warrant in the early am.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:40 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Apparently the guy was swatted, no-knock warrant. It's actually legal to use force to defend yourself in this country whether you're white or black. You can't use it if you know or should reasonably believe it's against a police officer in the scope of his duties, but if some random people break into your house at 2 a.m. and you shoot one and then it turns out they were the police you're not liable for that. The fact that he was taken unharmed speaks to his mental state. There's no real easy way of taking a shooter into custody who has decided not to be taken into custody.

Wait for the facts to come out. Or just be a racist and jump to the conclusion that it's open season for whitey to shoot any and all black police officers.
Supposedly these rules apply to everyone equally but in practice it doesn't work that way. There is always an easy out on why the riggt to defend yourself doesnt apply to black people. In fact this has been an ongoing theme since the comstitution started.

But i know, complaining about inconsistencies in our justice system makes me racist against white people.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Supposedly these rules apply to everyone equally but in practice it doesn't work that way. There is always an easy out on why the riggt to defend yourself doesnt apply to black people. In fact this has been an ongoing theme since the comstitution started.

But i know, complaining about inconsistencies in our justice system makes me racist against white people.
You mean like the guy who recently killed someone trying to steal his shoes outside the mall? Rochester NY where a man killed one of a group of men tying to break into his car.

Basically, self-defense is going to get used in every case where the charged does not plead guilty/no contest. Very infrequently when it's so obvious that it was not they won't try, but that's once in a blue moon. You'll find plenty of examples where people (white or black) claim self defense and the jury disagrees.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:05 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

Maybe it should suggest to police to knock and declare themselves too, especially in areas where a lot of people have guns in their homes which they can quite legally use to defend themselves if someone knocks in their door in the night. They also discovered the call that prompted the action did not come from their home.

The wife of the police chief was terrified her husband would die since his bullet proof vest was in repair, but he'd borrowed one and it saved his life. She did not appear to have anything but relief he would recover.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Maybe it should suggest to police to knock and declare themselves too, especially in areas where a lot of people have guns in their homes which they can quite legally use to defend themselves if someone knocks in their door in the night. They also discovered the call that prompted the action did not come from their home.

The wife of the police chief was terrified her husband would die since his bullet proof vest was in repair, but he'd borrowed one and it saved his life. She did not appear to have anything but relief he would recover.
I'd disagree. You don't knock and announce your presence to terrorists. Given, in this case the guy was not. He was just a weird white dude with a lot of guns afraid of Muslims. Intelligent policing where the police know the community is really the only solution. If they knew him and knew he wasn't likely to be making bombs to blow up people, they should have considered that. Still, that isn't perfect either. It's just a risk of the job. Hopefully the swatter is caught and prosecuted, but it's pretty hard. By necessity police departments do take anonymous calls.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:51 AM

240 posts, read 252,063 times
Anyone who kicks in my front door and bursts into my home while I'm sleeping is gonna get shot. Case closed. When I lose that right, or when society decides I should be locked up because the cop I shot was black rather than any other color or race, just shoot me now and end my misery.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:52 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:

Why bring race into this? COMPLETELY irrelevant.

And the homeowner was just protecting himself from an unknown threat.

Case closed. But nice try on the race baiting.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
The big "duh" factor here is obvious. Wouldn't one think that when a cop is shot (doesn't MATTER what color) IF the cops could've legally charged the shooter they would?
No police department is going to willingly allow one of their own to be beaten or shot or whatever no matter what color (especially the chief) without consequence unless it wasn't the shooters fault as it seems was the case here.
My big question is "why was the chief even there much less participating?" That is NOT normal in my opinion.

No knock warrants are dangerous, you are surprising whomever is on the other side of that door not having any idea what you'll be met with or who may be inside.
Maybe it's a great thing that he wasn't a bomber as the whole house didn't blow up killing all of 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events