U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 04:03 PM

7,282 posts, read 8,409,535 times

Advertisements

You like the low prices for gasoline? Notice how the prices for airline tickets haven't dropped and one of the most important factors in airline ticket prices is the fuel costs.

Watch what happens when the price of oil starts to go up again.

Airline tickets, shipping charges all will rise in step but since they didn't come down, they will rise from the prices associated with over $100/barrel oil. Just watch.

You're going to pay dearly for the current low gasoline prices and pay far more than you've managed to benefit from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 04:21 PM

5,445 posts, read 4,420,406 times
I'm not sure where you are getting your prices. I just looked and for flights, I can fly pretty much from anywhere in the country to anywhere in the country for under 150 bucks (one way). To me, that's pretty cheap. Even when gas was this price back in the early 2000s, flights were more expensive.

https://www.southwest.com/html/promo...e-150120L.html

As for shipping, most places are doing free shipping with a minimum purchase amount (roughly 50 to 100 bucks) and if my order is under the amount, shipping is always pretty reasonable.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:01 PM

7,282 posts, read 8,409,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I'm not sure where you are getting your prices. I just looked and for flights, I can fly pretty much from anywhere in the country to anywhere in the country for under 150 bucks (one way). To me, that's pretty cheap. Even when gas was this price back in the early 2000s, flights were more expensive.

https://www.southwest.com/html/promo...e-150120L.html

As for shipping, most places are doing free shipping with a minimum purchase amount (roughly 50 to 100 bucks) and if my order is under the amount, shipping is always pretty reasonable.
You are confusing free shipping offered by retailers and getting something shipped. Someone is paying for it.

Do you really think that when you get "free" shipping that it is free? That seems kind of naive to me. Do you also think that the price you pay for something in a store doesn't include the costs of shipping to get it to the store?

There are always bargain basement flights that put you in no leg room seats, next to the toilet on a red eye flight. Now go book one for a family traveling from say New York to San Francisco, on a Friday and returning a week later. GO ahead, lets see you get that for $150. You can't, we both know that.

You are also comparing promotions to standard fares, that is called cherry picking information to make an argument work, it doesn't.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:24 PM

896 posts, read 698,418 times
Very interesting observation. The airlines seem to run like the government in that line of management.

I hear people make claims like the 2nd poster. I've rarely experienced those cheap of tickets except in few and far between instances. Sure, you can find a deal know and then but not often and not as a standard.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:32 PM

5,445 posts, read 4,420,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
You are confusing free shipping offered by retailers and getting something shipped. Someone is paying for it.

Do you really think that when you get "free" shipping that it is free? That seems kind of naive to me. Do you also think that the price you pay for something in a store doesn't include the costs of shipping to get it to the store?

There are always bargain basement flights that put you in no leg room seats, next to the toilet on a red eye flight. Now go book one for a family traveling from say New York to San Francisco, on a Friday and returning a week later. GO ahead, lets see you get that for $150. You can't, we both know that.

You are also comparing promotions to standard fares, that is called cherry picking information to make an argument work, it doesn't.
See, you are cherry picking now. I can pick a 1500 dollar flight to Japan and then complain that plane tickets are expensive. Cheap flights are out there. It is up to you whether or not you want to capitalize on the deal.

As for shipping, I can ship a medium flat rate box via USPS across the country in 3 days for 12 bucks. That's pretty cheap if you ask me.

Lastly, having something shipped, you notice nobody had free shipping when gas was 4 dollars a gallon because shipping costs were indeed higher. It is cheap to ship so they can afford to take that small hit and offer it for free.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:27 AM

30,405 posts, read 31,291,526 times
Well the airlines started checked baggage fees because of the high fuel costs. But it is not really surprising that now the gasoline is cheaper that the airlines haven't reduce or eliminate those checked baggage fees!

Old 01-22-2015, 07:09 AM

3,311 posts, read 4,855,692 times
When thinking about shipping costs don't think a single package think huge container ships using very low grade fuel:

In international waters ship emissions remains one of the least regulated parts of our global transportation system. The fuel used in ships is waste oil, basically what is left over after the crude oil refining process. It is the same as asphalt and is so thick that when cold it can be walked upon . It's the cheapest and most polluting fuel available and the world's 90,000 ships chew through an astonishing 7.29 million barrels of it each day, or more than 84% of all exported oil production from Saudi Arabia, the worlds largest oil exporter.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:49 AM

12,948 posts, read 24,101,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
When thinking about shipping costs don't think a single package think huge container ships using very low grade fuel:

In international waters ship emissions remains one of the least regulated parts of our global transportation system. The fuel used in ships is waste oil, basically what is left over after the crude oil refining process. It is the same as asphalt and is so thick that when cold it can be walked upon . It's the cheapest and most polluting fuel available and the world's 90,000 ships chew through an astonishing 7.29 million barrels of it each day, or more than 84% of all exported oil production from Saudi Arabia, the worlds largest oil exporter.
Interesting but not finding how it relates to the o/p
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events