U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 03:36 AM

8,874 posts, read 12,917,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
... Those glove compartments have locks on them for a reason.
I'm on the seventh car of my lifetime of ownership and not one came with a lock on its glove compartment. Chrysler, Dodge, Pontiac, Ford, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Chevrolet ... not a single lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The loss of a child is a tragedy and usually preventable. More toddlers are drowned in five gallon buckets every year than shoot themselves. They lean into the bucket while reaching for a sponge, lose their footing and drown. The solution? Use a shallow dishpan type container. A toddler won't drown in that if your phone rings while you are washing your car ...
I would appreciate a link to some credible back up for the statement I bolded above. Below you will find the link to a website called Careful Parents (warning about the danger of buckets). It says that approximately 20 children per year drown in buckets in the U.S.
CarefulParents.com - Buckets can kill small children

On the other hand, according to an exhaustive report issued by the Children's Defense Fund (see link to PDF below), at least 194 children age 12 and under were shot and killed with gun in the U.S. in 2013 alone. Add adolescents to the statistics, and include children who were shot but do not die into the counting, and you will find that thousands of people under the age of 20 are injured and/or die from gunshot wounds each year in the U.S. That figure was compiled by researchers from the Yale School of Medicine in a study published in the medical journal Pediatrics. "Gunshot wounds send about 20 children to the hospital every single day in the United States ... A review of hospital records found that firearms caused 7,391 hospitalizations among children younger than 20 during 2009, the most recent year for which records are available, said Dr. John Leventhal, lead study author. Of those shooting victims, 453 died while in the hospital."

ISSUU - Protect Children Not Guns 2013 by Ben Dawson
Twenty U.S. Kids Hospitalized Each Day for Gun Injuries: Study

Twenty children drowning in buckets is a terrible, and preventable, tragedy. But it doesn't compare to the figure of 194 or more children UNDER THE AGE OF 12 who were killed with guns in 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 07:08 AM

2,852 posts, read 2,848,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Ok, let me understand the logic here. Because stupid people are allowed to have swimming pools and small children, they should also have guns?

Maybe they could just keep their guns by the chaise at the pool and kill two birds with one stone.

I was a single woman for many, many years, lived in many different situations alone (isolated mountain cabin to an NYC apartment), traveled all over the world and the country by myself. Very sorry you would be in misery without your companion, the gun. I never even thought about having one, never felt like a 'sitting duck' and never needed one. Have you considered an alarm system or a dog to assist you with your fears? Needing a gun within reach due to a fear of life seems like a really awful way to live.
The problem is yours Enigma.

A gun and a pool (and cars, buckets, bleach, etc) are all non-sentient objects that have, and do, kill children. Many people coming on here in the anti-gun community do not realize they are being hypocritical in that they want to ban a firearm because when a kid does something stupid with one it is a "gun problem" but when a child kills themselves with another object, we just pronounced one that hung themselves on blinds, it is a "horrible tragedy" but no hysterics from the MDA/Bloomberg crowd about banning the non-gun object in question.

It's an absurd double standard.

As a woman, giving fellow women the advice they do not need a gun after studies have shown the pronounced and irrefutable data on guns with Rape/Sexual assault is about on par with telling them not to get mammograms and prenatal care.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:20 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,878,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Twenty children drowning in buckets is a terrible, and preventable, tragedy. But it doesn't compare to the figure of 194 or more children UNDER THE AGE OF 12 who were killed with guns in 2013.
Well, actually, they are comparable. Both are relatively easily preventable. Keep your firearms stored properly and no child will have access to them. Pay attention to your toddlers and they won't have much of a chance of drowning in a bucket.

I also think that both are relatively minor problems when considered in the context of a population of 316 million. Expressed as a percent of the population both have 4 zeros to the right of the decimal point. As a society we should have more pressing concerns than either of these.

Dave

Old 01-24-2015, 07:26 AM

2,852 posts, read 2,848,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I'm on the seventh car of my lifetime of ownership and not one came with a lock on its glove compartment. Chrysler, Dodge, Pontiac, Ford, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Chevrolet ... not a single lock.

I would appreciate a link to some credible back up for the statement I bolded above. Below you will find the link to a website called Careful Parents (warning about the danger of buckets). It says that approximately 20 children per year drown in buckets in the U.S.
CarefulParents.com - Buckets can kill small children

On the other hand, according to an exhaustive report issued by the Children's Defense Fund (see link to PDF below), at least 194 children age 12 and under were shot and killed with gun in the U.S. in 2013 alone. Add adolescents to the statistics, and include children who were shot but do not die into the counting, and you will find that thousands of people under the age of 20 are injured and/or die from gunshot wounds each year in the U.S. That figure was compiled by researchers from the Yale School of Medicine in a study published in the medical journal Pediatrics. "Gunshot wounds send about 20 children to the hospital every single day in the United States ... A review of hospital records found that firearms caused 7,391 hospitalizations among children younger than 20 during 2009, the most recent year for which records are available, said Dr. John Leventhal, lead study author. Of those shooting victims, 453 died while in the hospital."

ISSUU - Protect Children Not Guns 2013 by Ben Dawson
Twenty U.S. Kids Hospitalized Each Day for Gun Injuries: Study

Ohh jeez. More kids are killed by medical malpractice then a firearm.

By CDC numbers (2000):
Drownings:
Age Number
<1 75
1-4 493
5-14 375

50% of the 0-4 population die in a pool. 34% of the 5-14 will die in a pool. So that leaves pools responsible for 284 + 128 = 412 kids dead. More then twice your stated numbers for firearms. Which is insane when you consider all pools and hot tubs combined are 1/100th the number of firearms in the US.

The links you posted use pediatric guidelines, which contain information from 0-20(or 21) years old generally.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:15 AM

1,001 posts, read 818,383 times
where are the pro gun at any cost people when you need them?

"No, it's not a sign of stupid people, it's a one time mistake. have you never made a mistake before? Why can you not see the bigger picture? It was just a mistake; they are not morons".

if you give morons guns, moronic things happen.

*i'm not anti gun. the more dead morons, the better the world for the rest of us. I'm just disappointed this little one didn't kill one of his parents rather than himself. well, causalities.

Last edited by stellastar2345; 01-24-2015 at 10:47 AM..

Old 01-24-2015, 10:28 AM

8,853 posts, read 4,823,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
where are the pro gun at any cost people when you need them?

"No, it's not a sign of stupid people, it's a one time mistake. have you never made a mistake before? Why can you not see the bigger picture? It was just a mistake; they are not morons".

if you give morons gun, moronic things happen.

*i'm not anti gun. the more dead morons, the better the world for the rest of us. I'm just disappointed this little one didn't kill one of his parents rather than himself. well, causalities.
We're here........after all, the cost of an unarmed population is more incredibly high than most people realize.

We're just not speaking with the words others would like to put in our mouths.

Oh, and by the way? The Forester does have a locking glove box.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:31 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,577,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
This is why you LOCK the glove compartment when you leave your gun in it, idiot.
^^^this^^^

Also - a) why would a Two year old be in the front seat? and b) why would a Two year old be in the car alone going through things without supervision?

This is bs all around. It doesn't pass the sniff test.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:43 AM

1,001 posts, read 818,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Oh, and by the way? The Forester does have a locking glove box.
kind of a pointless feature if they didn't use it or if a 2 year old could break into it. But like I said morons will do moronic things like keep a gun within reach of a 2 year old.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:53 AM

8,989 posts, read 7,079,711 times
Speaking of doing moronic things...

" More toddlers are drowned in five gallon buckets every year than shoot themselves."

and then we read:

"
On the other hand, according to an exhaustive report issued by the Children's Defense Fund (see link to PDF below), at least 194 children age 12 and under were shot and killed with gun in the U.S. in 2013 alone."

Apparently some ***** missed the "than shoot themselves" part. Perhaps somebody was "reading between the lines" again, or only saw what they WANTED to see!

Old 01-24-2015, 01:41 PM

4,093 posts, read 2,819,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's the parents' own fault for having a gun
There is no fault in owning nor in carrying a gun.

Quote:
for leaving it in the glove compartment of a car
On its face, there is nothing wrong with leaving a gun in a vehicle's glovebox. However, it will be inaccessible if the need for it arises when you're out of the vehicle.

Quote:
and for leaving a two year old with reach of the gun.
Now you're making sense. A 2yo is too immature to learn gun safety, thus, the gun owner should make his/her guns should be inaccessable to them. Note that this obligation does not in any way relieve parents of their responsibility to supervise their children.

Quote:
You place your gun in an under-seat safe? I can understand guns for hunting but if you can fit it under the seat, I don't think it's a hunting gun. Sounds more like a killing people gun.
When one enters govt premises, govt infringes upon the right to keep & bear arms. Thus, an underseat safe is a more secure alternative to carrying on one's person than is simply placing the gun under the seat (not in a safe). Guns are for personal protection moreso than for hunting, which is why people carry as they go about their daily lives.

In_newengland: you do realize that people hunt with handguns, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or