U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 07:36 AM

463 posts, read 245,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Don't worry... we're working on it...
I'm not worried about it. You have already lost the war, Thank God!!!

In my opinion, in 6 months the traffic stats will be unchanged or better. And in 6 years, many more states will be on board, and maybe even the feds will have opened their eyes by then.

Until then, you are entitled to live your life with your eyes tightly closed when it comes to this subject. I have a feeling that even once it is legal nationally that you will still live your life with your eyes (and mind) closed...

Last edited by Vistaian; 02-10-2015 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 07:48 AM

9,834 posts, read 5,722,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
But my husband is one of those who quit drinking and went over to pot. In the approx. one year that has passed, he still does not have a job, and he doesn't really seem to care...that kind of sucks...but he has lost 45 lbs, his sleep apnea is gone, and his psoriasis has cleared up. It also does wonders for the pain in his back (degenerative disc disease and sciatica.) And perhaps best of all, we can all live with him because he's not acting like a jerk anymore. Overall, I'm calling it a win.
If that's a win the bar seems to be set a little on the low side.

I will say the bolded part reflects the attitude of a lot of regular pot smokers I have known over the years. And trading one vice for another is not the path to self improvement - quitting negative habits IS an option.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:11 AM

4,093 posts, read 2,822,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
We have drunk drivers already.
One more reason why we don't need stoned drivers.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:15 AM

4,093 posts, read 2,822,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I also don't buy that "Big Tobacco" will ever be a player in the cannabis industry. While they ostensibly have the resources, their presumed target customer base almost uniformly distrusts them.
They trust the cartels over Big Tobacco?

Old 02-10-2015, 08:42 AM

5,644 posts, read 4,901,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
They just wanted to smoke pot.
And what is wrong with that? Nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
They will repeal it, someday.
Suuure, that's the way things are going, huh? They will repeal prohibition nationwide, someday, you mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Cartels? You mean the local grow and sell shops?

Old 02-10-2015, 08:44 AM

13,723 posts, read 25,301,104 times
Quote:
One more reason why we don't need stoned drivers.
Here's the deal - the statistics out there are rather shaky, because historically there's been little effort to isolate the number of accidents caused by cannabis impairment vs. alcohol impairment. Most numbers that claim, say, that "25% of drivers traffic accidents in (given year) were caused by marijuana" have alcohol involved in a significant number of them as well. Just like the "emergency room visits." Say you go to the ER because you were hiking and a rock fell off a cliff and landed on your head. Or anything else completely unrelated. The nurse in the ER asks if you had taken any drugs or medication. If you happen to mention that you smoked a joint that morning - it goes in the statistics as a "marijuana-related ER visit."

The more directly related ones that you see in Colorado tend to be from Maureen Dowd-style ignorance; you ate an edible that was intended to be 16 servings. Somehow, people have bought bottles of vodka and generally understood what would happen if they consumed it all in one sitting. The thing is, even if you do pull a Maureen Dowd and consume way more than you should, you will not die from an overdose and you will be back to normal after laying down for a few hours.

Post-accident, if a blood test wasn't conducted, and urinalysis was done, then actual THC level was never detected. Urinalysis only looks for the inert (as in, it has no psychotropic effect) metabolite THC-COOH which remains after THC is processed by the liver. This is what stays in one's system for a long time after. Believe it or not, it's theoretically possible to be high when you take a urinalysis and pass. Say somebody smokes 15 minutes before making their drop in a cup, and it was their first time in weeks or months. None of that will show on the UA, because the THC hasn't yet been processed into the metabolite THC-COOH and it hasn't reached the bladder yet. Even if a blood test that shows actual THC levels in one's system, it still hasn't concluded that it was the cause of an accident. Personally, I support punishing people who do irresponsible things, whether it's causing accidents while impaired with anything, including not being able to wait on responding to their text message or fidgeting with some other electronic gadget in their car. There's another factor that muddies up these statistics, especially year-over-year going back to before that stuff was commonplace.

It's time to take the Nancy Grace falling-sky fearmongering out of the equation and put science and truth in its place.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Don't worry... we're working on it...
Oh I'm SURE you guys are. Dollar signs in your eyes, eh?

Old 02-10-2015, 08:50 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,274,706 times
And more good news.. to show how unreliable MJ DUI stats are right now.. but sufficed to say.. stand by America... for more killers on our roadways

I always love it when I hear from potheads.. I drive better stoned.. that is until they are standing in front of me with a blood draw kit... which adds another two hours to every arrest.. is it any wonder the stats are of right now... but wait and see sportsfans... field tests are coming.. we have to get them through the supremes then they will go nationwide. Currently there IS a PMS device.. but the problem is it detects thc and not the amount.. alcohol PAS devices can measure an amount... but ..if these get out to the field it will be one more good test to take someone for a blood test.. there is also talk of having field draws... again..better testing will reveal in my opinion a huge uptick in stoned driving

I have heard and seen everything.. we were ahead of Colorado by several years.. and so we have marijuana drug culture behavior emboldened by the thought of more legalization. We have seen the immediate creep from medicine to profit racketeering.... immediately... and every promise of self regulation and compliance with current laws and regs made by people who grow... use... and profit from marijuana has proven to be false... which is why the rest of us push back.. sick granny twelve plant gets lumped in with joe doper grower...

https://www.codot.gov/safety/alcohol...druggeddriving
Marijuana DUI Bill Passes In Colorado Senate, Appears Poised To Become Law
Marijuana involved in 12 percent of Colorado State Patrol DUI cases - The Denver Post

What is clear from reading the stats is that way better testing is needed

We also see the need for better information

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/us...high.html?_r=0

Lets get more kids high

Potent snacks: How big is Colorado’s marijuana edibles overdose problem? | Al Jazeera America

Lets get a whole new population to use our already stretched EMS system

Unexpected Health Effects Of The Colorado Marijuana Experiment - Forbes

And heck..lets make more problems in our schools

Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization - The Denver Post

There is NOTHING good about enhanced drug use in our culture... nothing

Personal hedonism and selfishness does not a community make.. throw in damaging others because of your personal desire to be stoned and you can see why communities push back

Again.. the majority of Colorado communities SAY NO to pot.. and those that have are reaping the problems with it...

Last edited by notmeofficer; 02-10-2015 at 08:59 AM..

Old 02-10-2015, 08:53 AM

13,723 posts, read 25,301,104 times
Quote:
Well no, a good number of them are trusting themselves and growing their own where it's permitted. Then there are legitimate businesses that are not Big Tobacco who are doing processing and such. I'm not understanding why everyone thinks Philip Morris is going to default to some cannabis conglomerate. It's a different, entirely unrelated plant with different properties. Their people have no expertise in it. The similarities begin and end with there's a dried product at the end which can be smoked.

The "cartels" as in the ones that came into existence in the first place because of prohibition aren't going to have much to offer without over-taxation and over-regulation. The demand for the Mexican stuff crammed into a truck and sent over the border has dropped to near zero. Nobody wants it there.

Ending prohibition and sensibly regulating the stuff will be the end of the cartels. Did people post-Prohibition still routinely get their booze from Mafia bootleggers?

Old 02-10-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Personal hedonism and selfishness does not a community make...
Sure, tight-fisted central surveillance and control of what a person does in their own home to their own body along with seizure of assets and draconian incarcerations is clearly the way to go for freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or