U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 02:30 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,269,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
The statement "Pot being a gateway drug" is contradictory to my experiences and thus I have to regard this statement as completely false.

Between the ages of 17 and 24 I smoked at least 3 times a day, all my friends did the same. Closer to graduating college we all stooped using regularly because our priorities have changed. Between the ages of 24 and 36 I have not used pot at all. People who got hooked on dangerous narcotics, had different issues. One case I can think off is mental illness, another case is bad parenting and a broken home, another 2 cases deal with people who chose a life of crime when they had every opportunity to become some-one. I can talk this to death, but I have never seen anyone become a heroine junky because they tried pot.
I have mixed personal experiences. I was like you, smoked a bunch as a teenager, but quit when I grew up. I had kids. My priorities changed.

But I knew other high school friends that I never would have expected to go into anything harder...but buying weed from sketchy people put them in sketchy social circles, and they tried harder things. Some of them had serious habits that they eventually kicked. This was in an area where "War on Drugs" enforcement was pretty hardcore. Here, you have home growers and medicinal card buyers who still resell on the street market, and so there are multiple markets and not everyone selling weed is also peddling harder stuff.

I don't think anyone tries weed and then, through some function of the drug, seeks harder thrills. I just think it's a matter of exposure. You get to know enough people that do something, and if you're impressionable enough you might think it's somehow OK. The "gateway drug" effect isn't what most prohibitionists think it is...if anything it's more a side effect of the black market, I think, in cases where it is a thing at all.

I, too, have known many pot users that never in their lifetimes messed with the hard stuff.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 02:31 PM

5,644 posts, read 4,899,499 times
Gawd, this thread is so classic. Anti-cannabis control freak crusaders are like callous cartoon clowns.

(alliteration)

Old 02-12-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
people who use drugs do not deserve the trust of the rest of us in any manner... this has been proven over and over.
People in the business of the War on Drugs deserve zero respect and zero trust.

Stop trying to tell people what to do.
------------------------------
This is becoming this all over again: Legal Pot causing problems??

Old 02-12-2015, 02:34 PM

463 posts, read 245,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
B.s.

Government exists to keep us all safe and maintain order...why do druggies think their chosen drug is different from any other drug ?...
Add in all the abhorrent behavior that goes on with intoxicating substances and human excess and failure to self regulate themselves no wonder we need controls...

So heck yes we need regulation ...people who use drugs do not deserve the trust of the rest of us in any manner... this has been proven over and over.
This is really the most disturbing part of this post. You really believe we are all just a bunch of degenerates who cannot control ourselves, don't you? That explains a lot. I am a product of the 60's and 70's, and for as long as I can remember the relationship between the police and the public has been adversarial. We, the public, are the enemy, and it is your job to turn as many of us as possible into criminals. The drug war serves you well for that purpose, even if it is under the guise of protecting us from ourselves.

It seems a far cry from earlier times, when there was no financial stake in making arrests, which allowed the police to actually serve the public and focus on the real criminals.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
The drug war serves you well for that purpose, even if it is under the guise of protecting us from ourselves.
Yup, and this person seems to have part of his/her livelihood tied up in this whole game. Like I mentioned early on in the thread, it kind of makes rational sense to feel threatened by the tides of change when they may directly impact what you do for a living and your accumulated sense of career worth.

Not sure what a few of the others are on about though.

Why don't they leave us alone?

Old 02-12-2015, 03:02 PM

15,908 posts, read 9,643,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
This is really the most disturbing part of this post. You really believe we are all just a bunch of degenerates who cannot control ourselves, don't you? That explains a lot. I am a product of the 60's and 70's, and for as long as I can remember the relationship between the police and the public has been adversarial. We, the public, are the enemy, and it is your job to turn as many of us as possible into criminals. The drug war serves you well for that purpose, even if it is under the guise of protecting us from ourselves.

It seems a far cry from earlier times, when there was no financial stake in making arrests, which allowed the police to actually serve the public and focus on the real criminals.

And then cops wonder why a lot of folks don't trust them! It's that type of attitude! Still I'll bet there are a lot of cops that do support ending the war on weed, because that will be one less thing they will have to deal with, and they can focus on more pressing issues, and real criminals. I know there are a couple of cops that post here that support legalization. Haven't seen them on here in awhile though.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:00 PM

17,205 posts, read 14,812,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
You know what gets me about the alcohol and pot debate.....

As alchohol if used with poor decisions and judgement can cause life changing events.
And if used to the extreme it can and will more than likely cause your liver to fail. Not always.

With pot, it effects the brain. That is where it concentrates in the body.
It attaches fat cells to the brain cells and that never goes away.

So with pot and people smoking it, we have those people walking around and being in society with altered brains.
Brains that controll our reasoning, mental health status, which therefor goes into the area of depression and mimics mental illness.
Among other brain functionings that causes impairment in other areas.

While driving, while at work.
The residue as you pot smokers say, stays in your brain cells.
And I just don't get how some of you choose to be ignorant around that.

Andn don't ask me to post links on proof.
I have many a times before.
It is out there to go look for yourselves.
It doesn't impair your brain though nor your judgement, on the contrary it increases awareness. You are simply mistaken that those who partake are walking around with thinking impairments. I work in health care though and have seen firsthand and worked with patients with alcohol-induced delerium, and long term, alcohol-induced dementia, and these people are often highly violent, which never happens from just mj.

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/193/5/351.short

"Various studies have suggested the prevalence of alcohol-related dementia to be about 10% of all cases of dementia.18 `Heavy alcohol use' was seen as possible contributing factor in 2124% cases of dementia in a review of epidemiological, neurological, cognitive and imaging data.19"

Alcohol-induced psychotic disorder and delirium in the general population | The British Journal of Psychiatry

"Psychotic symptoms can occur in several clinical conditions related to alcohol such as intoxication, withdrawal, alcohol-induced psychotic disorder and delirium. In alcohol-induced psychotic disorder, the psychotic symptoms should be prominent and in excess of those usually associated with alcohol intoxication or withdrawal with perceptual disturbances, and severe enough to warrant clinical attention"

Old 02-12-2015, 05:09 PM

17,205 posts, read 14,812,677 times
Quote:
Nope, I just don't agree with some, or point out what I don't agree with.
And yes, shocker, what I do know about it.

Thus I am misinformed in your eyes, cause I do not agree.

It is rather a bullyish style
It;s not because you disagree, it's because you are posting "Facts" that are fallacy. I have nothing against you, but you truy are misinformed not just about mj but anti-depressants and other drugs. And again, coming from someone who works in health care. Even the large hospital system I did home care for had guest lectururs come in and talk to the nurses and doctors about the benefits of marijuana. It really is not what the propaganda from the old days says. It;s like you're so attached to being right you won't open your mind at all even though you can see how much in the minority you are, not just here, but in health care and society in general. I find it a shame, but again I have nothing against you and no investment in your agreeing with me.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:43 PM

13,723 posts, read 25,295,786 times
Quote:
Thus I am misinformed in your eyes, cause I do not agree.

It is rather a bullyish style
No, it's more like you're misinformed because you're posting patently false claims such as - among others - that cannabis somehow attaches fat cells to brain cells, or that antidepressants don't cause withdrawal symptoms. Considering that I was put in a hospital for "observation" for more than a week when I was 11 to take me off imipramine which they prescribed me for a bogus "diagnosis," I am going to have to disagree. The reason they took me off was because it did the complete opposite of what they think it would do. It's called a "paradoxical reaction." I will never use any drug like it. It does some really bad stuff. It makes me not a good person. At all.

Are we supposed to just nod our heads to whatever nonsense you put out just so you don't feel bullied?

Old 02-12-2015, 09:07 PM

I should sponser a get-together of all the people in this and the other couple of threads.

It would be pricey, but fun as heck. And I'm talking officer officer, Atalalanata, Todd, Vector, apexgds as well as thefragile, ocn, jfre, brownsfan, vistaian, unsettomati, spork, old town, tofur, and all the others I'm forgetting.

I mean, would that not be amazing? I have four couches and a $40K audio system in my extended living room, and donkeys and horses in my backyard.

Don't tell me that wouldn't be a fun and enlightening weekend.

I'm 30-35% serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or